overland offroadish build

Bczuk

Veteran Member
TDI
LWB Samurai - 2001 Jetta
I've been thinking about one of these for a new daily driver and came across your build. I really like it :cool:

TDI
CVCA, ALH, CATA, 068
Nice build!! Very unique seeing an egg offload built! The wheels and spacers add a whole new touch to it. How is the winch installation coming along?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Winch is on hold for a while, some stuff have come up, currently fabbing a 5 inch intake, and my turbo had to be removed and rebuilt. Also awaiting eurowise to finish the 2 inch subframe drop so the 33s will fit much nicer.

but i did put it to the test this spring

Yes it went up this...with no wheel spin at all, blows my mind the ability this holds

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Winch is on hold for a while, some stuff have come up, currently fabbing a 5 inch intake, and my turbo had to be removed and rebuilt. Also awaiting eurowise to finish the 2 inch subframe drop so the 33s will fit much nicer.

but i did put it to the test this spring

Yes it went up this...with no wheel spin at all, blows my mind the ability this holds

How does it compare offroading to the jeep Cherokee?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How does it compare offroading to the jeep Cherokee?
We went on a few outings him and i and we both agree the touareg system is better....the power transfer and abs difflocking is quicker and better...the ground clearance is the same, the jeep doesnt have as nice tucked underside like the touareg. Now his is not a trailhawk so the awd is closer to touareg.

Now if you have driven both for some time..as i have....i drove a 2017 jeep Cherokee for 3 months when i hit a deer and i hated it in comparison...very tinny and no sound deadening, seats hurt after some time....way more body roll and less planted feel...terrible on fuel and just nothing like a touareg.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
We went on a few outings him and i and we both agree the touareg system is better....the power transfer and abs difflocking is quicker and better...the ground clearance is the same, the jeep doesnt have as nice tucked underside like the touareg. Now his is not a trailhawk so the awd is closer to touareg.

Now if you have driven both for some time..as i have....i drove a 2017 jeep Cherokee for 3 months when i hit a deer and i hated it in comparison...very tinny and no sound deadening, seats hurt after some time....way more body roll and less planted feel...terrible on fuel and just nothing like a touareg.
ok, good to know. Thanks! i have heard that the new Cherokees just don't compare to the older xj's when it comes to offroading. My buddy has a 99 or 2000 Cherokee and it's a pretty good machine, but i was curious between the newer vw and the jeep which was better suited.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ok, good to know. Thanks! i have heard that the new Cherokees just don't compare to the older xj's when it comes to offroading. My buddy has a 99 or 2000 Cherokee and it's a pretty good machine, but i was curious between the newer vw and the jeep which was better suited.
Both did alright, but there is no substitution for solid axles of the older jeeps, but ive been out with a 2008 crd Cherokee and it didnt out do me either and he was on 33 mts.

The jeep has a bigger aftermarket, however the touareg off road stuff is blowing up...forge, eurowise and a few others are cranking out everything..skids, winch plate...rock sliders....lifts and so on.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
The jeep has a bigger aftermarket, however the touareg off road stuff is blowing up...forge, eurowise and a few others are cranking out everything..skids, winch plate...rock sliders....lifts and so on.
That's exciting to hear. Maybe there will be an offroad world for these out there too soon. i'm trying to get my brother to swap a tdi into his 99 chevy tracker, but he wants to LS or rotary swap it. Which would be pretty great, but i think a tdi tracker would be pretty torquey and light weight for mudding. and who doesn't like that diesel sound? lol

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's exciting to hear. Maybe there will be an offroad world for these out there too soon. i'm trying to get my brother to swap a tdi into his 99 chevy tracker, but he wants to LS or rotary swap it. Which would be pretty great, but i think a tdi tracker would be pretty torquey and light weight for mudding. and who doesn't like that diesel sound? lol
actually on instagram the touareg and cayenne offroad community is getting big, people are realizing these are much more capable than most suvs