Mk6 or mk7?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Thinking of upgrading to a newer Golf but I really don't know anything about the mk6 or 7.
Are there any significant differencies between them that I should be aware of?

We've had Golf diesel's from mk1 through to mk5 so it would make sense to get a mk6 but since the dieselgate over the pond there are quite a few mk7 diesels for sale at good prices around my neighbourhood.

Do they both use ad-blue?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't know if it's the same in Sweden, but the mk7 golf tdi's here lack independent rear suspension, unlike the mk6. The mk6 is also more mod friendly. The mk7 does have better efficiency though.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Yes, the MK7 (here) loses IRS due to the space for the Adblue tank. I'm guessing 90% of drivers never notice. Since I don't autocross, and the VW setup is so good, I'll never miss it. Even Mk7 GSW handles really well.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Thanks guys, seems like I don't need to be afraid of the src system?

I don't know if it's the same in Sweden, but the mk7 golf tdi's here lack independent rear suspension, unlike the mk6. The mk6 is also more mod friendly. The mk7 does have better efficiency though.
I didn't know that but it is the same over here. I don't think it matters to us, it'll be my gf's car and she's not a racer. Better efficiency is key :)

We'll see how it goes, the mk7's are still pretty expensive but with the diesel market being a bit cooler at the moment I think I can get a good deal on one. We have never financed a car and the early mk7's are on the very top of what we feel comfortable paying for on a car.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I'd imagine there's better info on European forums. The mk7 has been around in Europe since 2012/2013 as I'm sure you're well aware. Apperantly early gen 1.6 or 2.0 may not have used ad blue depending on engine code

https://www.volkswagenforum.co.uk

Might get better answers there