TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Eivind

TDI
'00 Audi A4 1.9 TDI Avant quattro, '04 Audi A4 1.9 TDI Avant quattro
Yes, any well sorted out car taken care of and up-to-date with maintenance will last a good long time. I'd like to put a lot fewer km per year (not to mention keep it away from winter's snow), and keep this for another 4 years I reckon.
That's about what I have done. Got an '04 A4 Avant quattro for cheap (it had a lot, and still has a few issues), and had the B5 parked last winter.
A weird feeling almost, adjusting the ride height slightly this year it was like barely any time had passed – They turned so easy!

Let's do it! Your 98 Passat is a platform and mechanical twin to mine. GTD1752VRK HP and GTB3576KLNRV LP with water-to-air interstage and after-coolers, the latter integrated to the intake manifold using 068129713A! :)
That would be awesome! I can't wait to see you do this!:D

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Your sizing is pretty spot on!
But of course! :)
That intake sadly won't fit under the hood, there are height restrictions. Passat is kicking butt currently. If I ever make any major changes, I might as well start with the built PD motor I have on the shelf ;)
Who says it needs to fit under the hood? :D Read my mind again of using a BHW base. :)

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
TDIMeister, how is your mixture of G060 A2 and Redline Superlight Shockproof is working in your gearbox?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
TDIMeister, how is your mixture of G060 A2 and Redline Superlight Shockproof is working in your gearbox?
I had to look back in the post history to see when the change was done - 2013! What if I tell you I haven't touched it since then, not even for top-ups?! Gearshifts are problem-free in any weather - it gets to -40 ambient here. I thought to change it recently when I had to tick off a laundry list of things to do to pass a provincial inspection, but it got skipped for lack of a suitable 17mm hex.

Interesting that you recall the Redline Superlight Shockproof oil that was mixed with the G060 A2. I still have 2 bottles that are destined for the rear differential but, again, the latter has not been touched - the last time I tried (back in 2013, the same time as the gear oil service), I literally couldn't get the hex filler nut off, and not wanting to break something, stopped from proceeding further with the drain nut.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
What a nice read...the b5 was a really well put together model, I had a few and I've done a bunch of mods to them without detrimental fuel consumption and when they ride well
They put a huge smile on your face. I would suggest race 520
Nozzles and a bv43a chra in pd170 Bv43 housings and a tune to take them into account. Also a 6 speed 01E gearbox/rear diff change from v6 tdi is a nice upgrade, better shift points and even lower fuel consumption! Keep up the good work mate...

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Thanks for the kind words. A turbo upgrade and gearbox are aspirational upgrades. I have a GTD1752VRK ready to be adapted, and the Valeo clutch I installed 6 years ago (see post #70) is slipping. I'd certainly love to do a 6-speed 01E upgrade, and this time I'd also go with a 240mm Sach's SRE DMF clutch.

Cheers!

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V, 2006 Dmax, 2005 Allroad, 2005 BHW
Hey, haven't seen a recent fill up on the wagon. Do you have any updates for it?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
It has been over three years now since my last post here and way overdue. Everyone reading this has survived a global pandemic; the world has changed a lot over the decade (!!!) of this thread since I started it in 2013 when my car arrived in Canada. The TDI ecosystem and TDIClub have evolved, we've all also grown older and much has happened over the years; when I got the car, I was still a student on my second post-graduate degree struggling to navigate through the local bureaucracy of registering my car and doing it while fumbling with communicating in my fifth or sixth language. Now, I've got a family and two kids, have a small suburban home and a routine around kids, work, home, and church, but also still more than the occasional travel, which is one of my lasting passions. I know, I'm being a bit reflective and nostalgic today... :giggle:

Where I live in central British Columbia, we've got smoky haze in the air and ash all over the body from nearby wildfires. Here are some photos without having made any efforts to clean or detail the car in any way - just want to show it in all its unretouched, imperfect glory. I've owned her 10 years now, and over the years it's picked up about 180k km since I bought it, some battle scars, and certainly lots of stories and memories. You will see some imperfections on the body; I'm on a waiting list to have it into a very good body shop to have it fully resprayed and install new missing trim pieces that I have.

The reason it's so dirty and dusty is that I just got her back from being worked on and moved in and out of a rural garage for the last 3 months to have a thorough mechanical refresh done by a friend of mine who is a licenced KFZMeister in Germany and immigrated to a community near me, installing $thousands in parts I've accumulated over the years that I just didn't have the opportunity to have installed, including new brakes including calipers all around, new bushings all around, K-W coilovers, complete front suspension links, timing belt, AC components, steering rack... I'd have to take some time to fully write down all that has been done.

With how it looks just as it is, I'd appreciate your feedback on what might be unthinkable: Keep it, or let it go? Since it's 25 years old now, it's eligible to be imported to the US - maybe list it for sale here or on Bring-a-Trailer? No urgency to sell, just taking stock and evaluating everything. I don't have the time or energy to give this car what it deserves after all that's been recently done and invested in it other than to drive it maybe 5k a year until it goes to car heaven. Maybe someone else here has the passion for what they see in this car to take her to the next level?20230917_134852.jpg20230917_135228.jpg20230917_135823.jpg20230917_135938.jpg20230917_135503.jpg20230917_135738.jpg20230917_135007.jpg20230917_135036.jpg20230917_135140.jpg20230917_134831.jpg

Last edited:

CanadianALH

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 5spd 2006 Jetta DSG (wifes)
It has been over three years now since my last post here and way overdue. Everyone reading this has survived a global pandemic; the world has changed a lot over the decade (!!!) of this thread since I started it in 2013 when my car arrived in Canada. The TDI ecosystem and TDIClub have evolved, we've all also grown older and much has happened over the years; when I got the car, I was still a student on my second post-graduate degree struggling to navigate through the local bureaucracy of registering my car and doing it while fumbling with communicating in my fifth or sixth language. Now, I've got a family and two kids, have a small suburban home and a routine around kids, work, home, and church, but also still more than the occasional travel, which is one of my lasting passions. I know, I'm being a bit reflective and nostalgic today... :giggle:

Where I live in central British Columbia, we've got smoky haze in the air and ash all over the body from nearby wildfires. Here are some photos without having made any efforts to clean or detail the car in any way - just want to show it in all its unretouched, imperfect glory. I've owned her 10 years now, and over the years it's picked up about 180k km since I bought it, some battle scars, and certainly lots of stories and memories. You will see some imperfections on the body; I'm on a waiting list to have it into a very good body shop to have it fully resprayed and install new missing trim pieces that I have.

I just got her back recently from a thorough mechanical refresh by a friend of mine who was a licenced KFZMeister in Germany and immigrated to a community near me, installing $thousands in parts I've accumulated over the years that I just didn't have the opportunity to have installed, including new brakes including calipers all around, new bushings all around, K-W coilovers, complete front suspension links, timing belt, AC components, steering rack... I'd have to take some time to fully write down all that has been done.

With how it looks just as it is, I'd appreciate your feedback on what might be unthinkable: Keep it, or let it go? Since it's 25 years old now, it's eligible to be imported to the US - maybe list it for sale here or on Bring-a-Trailer? No urgency to sell, just taking stock and evaluating everything. I don't have the time or energy to give this car what it deserves after all that's been recently done and invested in it other than to drive it maybe 5k a year until it goes to car heaven. Maybe someone else here has the passion for what they see in this car to take her to the next level?View attachment 133321View attachment 133312View attachment 133313View attachment 133314View attachment 133315View attachment 133316View attachment 133317View attachment 133318View attachment 133319View attachment 133320
I am in Alberta and am looking for a wagon for my wife. Shoot me a message and we could maybe see what needs to be done and what you are looking for cost wise. Love the car by the way! Just read the first couple of posts on the thread cause I’m pretty new. Definitely something I’d be interested in.

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V, 2006 Dmax, 2005 Allroad, 2005 BHW
Also definitely interested. I’m in BC too.
I don’t think you’ll have any trouble selling it!

Johhny04

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
I say keep it and keep driving it until its time for her to go up to the pearly gates. To this day, I love driving my Tdi more then my other cars, which is very hard for my 3 kids and wife to understand. The only way to explain it, is as Jeremy Clarkson has in this interview
, which my wife has viewed and still doesn't understand. LOL