Rear axle beam bushings, Need help

Rob02f350

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Black jetta, 5 speed. 2000 white jetta 5 speed w/100K less miles
hey guys

so i got the old bushings out in 20 min. ive spent the last 6 hours trying to get 1 in, and as soon as it got 1/2 way in the dam beam... it BROKE

Need help... im going insane and very aggravated with this car.. tips tricks?

i tried them in the freezer, and torched up the pocket... managed to burn a few fingers

tried shaving down the plastic to have a slimmer fit... couldnt get it to stay straight and would pop out sideways 1/4 of the way in.

built a puller to pull them in... got it 1/2 way in and the bushing plastic snapped and went out sideways.

im loosing my mind...
thanks

-Rob

Rob02f350

Veteran Member
TDI
also, where can i get a new bushing or 2?

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
Get GOOD bushings, don't go by price!!

OEM some BOGE, not Mehle, First Genuine Parts and something else that sounds like OEM parts.

Junk, barely round.

I have a tool I rent to install quality bushings.

If you're interested PM me.

Rob02f350

Veteran Member
TDI
i read the vwvortex posting before doing, the C clamp did nothing, i built a installer to pull it into the flange... it went 1/2 way in when the plastic housing broke.

i dont know where the bushings were purchased from, its to late today and no dealers will be open tomorrow to retrieve a new one.

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The original bushings had a steel outer lining, did you make sure that it was removed down to the bare walls? I found that greasing the bore before putting them in was the best way. My first time I did them I had the hardest time getting them in. I tried using a bearing press but a C-clamp and two pieces of wood worked best.

Rob02f350

Veteran Member
TDI
The original bushings had a steel outer lining, did you make sure that it was removed down to the bare walls? I found that greasing the bore before putting them in was the best way. My first time I did them I had the hardest time getting them in. I tried using a bearing press but a C-clamp and two pieces of wood worked best.
yes, all the original steel outer case is removed, the hole was cleaned with a wire wheel and sand paper, lubed with high temp grease, and wd-40 was on the bushing.

i have one bushing left, im tempted to give it a shot on the other side... have to wait till monday to call local dealers for a new one.

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
The whole bushing gets put under a lot of stress as it's being pressed in and you can see it sort of squeezing together as it's being forced in but I would have never guessed it was capable of breaking. The only time I could see it break is if the bushing starts going in crooked. I think the first time I did it on a car the tolerances were a lot tighter than the second time because I remember telling myself "that was a lot easier". Maybe the bushings or the bore aren't exactly consistent from car to car and bushing manufacturer to bushing manufacturer.

yes, all the original steel outer case is removed, the hole was cleaned with a wire wheel and sand paper, lubed with high temp grease, and wd-40 was on the bushing.

i have one bushing left, im tempted to give it a shot on the other side... have to wait till monday to call local dealers for a new one.

Deadend

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Not that I would now, but do you think you just got a bad one? Perhaps the same method with a new bushing will work?

I'm looking at having to do this soon myself..... but I have access to a hydraulic press. Anybody know if that will work? I read in another thread that some guy got turned away by shops that didn't know how to get the axel in the press. I'm wondering why. By the look of it, it's kind of a "maybe"... the housings for the bushings certainly don't sit out far enough to to get the centers to line up with the center of the press, but so what? Also trying to figure out if it's possible to remove use a press to remove the old bushings.

You're too far away for me to make the offer, but if pressing them is giving you that much grief, is it possible to get them pressed in at a shop?

Carl2k7

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Bora 1.9TDI Audi A4 2.0TDI Sline BMW 530D
Wrong bushings, steel outer is 69mm and the plastic is 72mm, get some more steel ones

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I think there might confusion? This thread inspired me to go out and do my own because I've had the parts on the shelf for a while and just haven't gotten around to it yet. There is a "reducing sleeve" in there that the OP might not have noticed.

Here is the main outer bushing area:

Here is the "sleeve" already starting to come out:

Here is the tool I made for putting them in, notice the slot cut out to relieve pressure from the protruding nub:

Tada:

Takes longer to remove them!

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow
Give me a call when you can 603-529-5510. I have the KT tool, and I'm going to be back in NH this evening, and back in the shop tomorrow morning.

-Rich

Rob02f350

Veteran Member
TDI

Rodrigues

Veteran Member
TDI
None