DRL Day time running lights.

pitchpuller60

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Hello all. Just picked up my first TDI. 2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed M/T. Looking for some help with DRL’s. First question. Do I even have DRL on my model? And if so how can I turn them on? I have followed the owners manual instructions the ol’ turn signal up and high beam pull and no luck, no lights. I have a bulb on the lower part of my headlight Assembly next to the turn bulb that I think would be the DRL bulb however, they never come on. The lights are good not burnt out. Again I guess my big question is do I even have the option on my model. Any help is much appreciated. Would like to get them on if I have the option because this is my sons first car, safety first. :). I will list the cars particulars for troubleshooting.

2012 VW Jetta 2.0L TDI 6 Speed M/T (High 103 TDIM6F)
VIN# 3VW3L7AJ2CM086415

Last edited:

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
They're probably on at all times when the engine is on and the parking brake is off... it should be impossible to turn them off. Any chance you are applying the parking brake when getting out to check if they're on?

pitchpuller60

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
At first yes however, I have checked them with the PB off in gear out of gear...I think I’m going crazy. Haha

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
There's a mod on the earlier model to pull the headlight switch and stick a piece of paper in the back to stop the drl's from coming on. Also another to pull the wire from the plug and put electrical tape on it, and finally another to break the tab out of the headlight switch. Not sure if it's valid for the 2012 model though.
Someone will chime in eventually, it could be a software mod in that model as far as I know...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
My '11 had the DRL's until I turned them off via VCDS. I'm willing to bet a previous owner did the same to your vehicle, if you don't find any of the varying mod's Eddieleephd described when you pull the switch and inspect it to be sure. Usually the DRL's run on the low beam at a reduced power, which you can also adjust the power/intensity of the DRL's via VCDS. The light you're speaking about near the turn signal are the parking lights, which in my experience will not illuminate when DRL's are enabled. How many positions does your headlight switch have?

Last edited:

pitchpuller60

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Just replaced the switch it had a dead spot so the lights would stay on when the switch was off. The new switch only has two positions. On and off. The VCDS theory is the best idea yet. Wonder if the dealer would charge an arm and leg to flash the computer and turn them back on. Thanks for the info all!!!

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
I've seen instructions to disable this safety feature (DRLs) on a number of models of VW. One includes breaking a contact on the back of the headlight switch.

If they are going to disable one safety feature, why not airbags, anti-lock brakes, seatbelts, etc,.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, but we're guessing previous owner has disabled the DRLs by one of the methods described. Don't believe any car has a switch or setting to disable.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yes, but we're guessing previous owner has disabled the DRLs by one of the methods described. Don't believe any car has a switch or setting to disable.
My Volvo had a slotted screw head swith on the dash to do just that (doumented in the owners manual) and both our Passats have it in the MFD as a per-driver settable feature, so wrong at least 2x.. . .

They are *NOT* legaly required in the US . . .

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
I've seen instructions to disable this safety feature (DRLs) on a number of models of VW. One includes breaking a contact on the back of the headlight switch.

If they are going to disable one safety feature, why not airbags, anti-lock brakes, seatbelts, etc,.
Because airbags, antilock, seatbelts etc. actually enhace driver safety, whereas DRL's just make some idiot beurocrat feel good about itself, while (for the majority of driving) having *zero* possibility of doing anything but wasting power and bulbs? We have brains, we can turn the lights on as needed - nanny features not required! I don't think I have owned a vehicle that they stayed enabled for more than for a few days, and that was one of my initial drivers in buying VCDS - to enable the *coded in by VW* MFD menu allowing them to be managed in the MFD . . . (also went to a Euro switch to get back parking light control that was also idiotically removed . . .)

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The NCS and most all newer VAG products have a setting in the CE module that can be changed (long coding) via a suitable scan tool to enable/disable certain features, like the DRLs. The previous owner likely turned them off. I do this at the request of a LOT of people, and of course on all my own cars. However, the NCS at least has dedicated DRL bulbs instead of just using the headlights, so I find this to be less of a nuisance since when they burn out, you'll still have your normal headlights.

Of course, some NCS cars do not have the bulb out warning feature, so they could also just both be burnt out.

Disregard any comments in this thread about anything involving the older models, as it does not apply to this car.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Because airbags, antilock, seatbelts etc. actually enhace driver safety, whereas DRL's just make some idiot beurocrat feel good about itself, while (for the majority of driving) having *zero* possibility of doing anything but wasting power and bulbs? We have brains, we can turn the lights on as needed - nanny features not required! I don't think I have owned a vehicle that they stayed enabled for more than for a few days, and that was one of my initial drivers in buying VCDS - to enable the *coded in by VW* MFD menu allowing them to be managed in the MFD . . . (also went to a Euro switch to get back parking light control that was also idiotically removed . . .)
My my my, that's a bit of over reaction. Remember that the next time you almost pull out in front of some idiot, 1/2 hour after sunset, in the rain, in a silver or gray car because he is too stupid to turn his lights on and you can barely see him at 100'.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
DRLs are a statistically proven safety feature. Imagine you're a pedestrian crossing a winding highway in a mist or fog. Cause no, as a group we do not have a brain.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
DRLs are a statistically proven safety feature. Imagine you're a pedestrian crossing a winding highway in a mist or fog. Cause no, as a group we do not have a brain.
Considering that the DRL requirements don't require any sort of rear-facing light, I'm beginning to have my doubts. Coupled with gauge clusters that are backlit full-time because they're dependent on that to be readable, I am starting to think these things cause people to be so dumb they drive in bad weather or at night with nothing but those DRLs.

I've seen a lot of folks blithely cruising along after dark with nothing but DRLs lit. Heck, just this past Friday night, I found myself behind a motorcycle rolling along well after sunset with nothing but a forward-facing DRL.

What gives, people?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Considering that the DRL requirements don't require any sort of rear-facing light, I'm beginning to have my doubts. Coupled with gauge clusters that are backlit full-time because they're dependent on that to be readable, I am starting to think these things cause people to be so dumb they drive in bad weather or at night with nothing but those DRLs.

I've seen a lot of folks blithely cruising along after dark with nothing but DRLs lit. Heck, just this past Friday night, I found myself behind a motorcycle rolling along well after sunset with nothing but a forward-facing DRL.

What gives, people?
must have been modified. there has been a law since 90s that states every motorcycle mist have headlight and tail light on while in operation. here in mn at least. thought it was a national safety thing. was in the reading material for the test. But here there is no mirrors, indicators, or helmits required. They also chqanged it so you can drive interstates if you only have a mc permit. But a helmet is required if your under 18 and or you only have a mc permit.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
And how often do you see some idiot without lights on (and DRLs with no rear lights) driving at night/dusk/dawn/fog (too often for my liking)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
My my my, that's a bit of over reaction. Remember that the next time you almost pull out in front of some idiot, 1/2 hour after sunset, in the rain, in a silver or gray car because he is too stupid to turn his lights on and you can barely see him at 100'.

Gladly! Mine are disabled, and will stay that way! If driving at that time, more brain, less namby is the solution. Namby leads to complacency, which kills by itself!

If you can't see far enough to guarantee it's clear, then you don't pull out . . . it really is that simple . . .

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI

If a pedestrian is that stupid, namby tech is not the answer . . . Perhaps a helmet?

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI

What gives, people?

Exactly! Namby "features" breed complacency, and complacency kills! Driver licensing has become a joke, and *that* is the real problem . . .

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If a pedestrian is that stupid.........
No, you're out to lunch, but you've got company. No worries.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Gladly! Mine are disabled, and will stay that way! If driving at that time, more brain, less namby is the solution. Namby leads to complacency, which kills by itself!

If you can't see far enough to guarantee it's clear, then you don't pull out . . . it really is that simple . . .
Drivers with this mindset are the reason I have a dashcam :rolleyes:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Zero accidents of any kind in 53 years of driving, proof that a functional brain trumps namby tech . . .

Sorry, but dumbing things down never results in anything other than even dumber drivers . . .

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
If a pedestrian is that stupid.........
No, you're out to lunch, but you've got company. No worries.
Everyone has the right to be wrong, and apparently you are excercising that right . . .

Anyone who deliberately steps into a road without being 100% certain it is clear and safe has *NOBODY* to blame but themself!