I am Fu** , HPFP dead

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Dealer tells me HPFP is ok but I need a new fuel return line check valve (around $550 parts & labor (actually that includes labor cost of mounting and balancing a tire on a wheel) and not covered by the HPFP warranty). I'm not thrilled but it's not a disaster and I'm glad I brought the car in. My main concern is I need this car running through end of summer (when my son heads off to college), and then I will sell it back to VW. (My fear is having the HPFP fail catasrophically and then VW denying warrantyh coverage because I tuned the car.)

Edit -- is this a ridiculous overcharge? I know they spent time both yesterday and today diagnosing the issue.
I know you need the car, so that's a given. But have they indicated why you need the check valve replaced? If it's because of any debris, particularly metallic debris that might come from the pump, if it were me I'd do what I had to and turn the car in ASAP, with the absolute minimum of use. A $550 bill looks a lot better than one ten times bigger. Not a good recommendation, I know, but that's what I think. As for the charge for the repair, I'd have no clue.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I appreciate your advice, Rico. I will ask if they found any debris.

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Latest word is the dealer put in new part but fuel pressure did not pass test and they are speaking with VW. I told dealer I suspect entire fuel system has been dmaged by faulty HPFP and they need to replace under warranty. (This was by text message exchange I am having a hard time getting a phone call with them)

Dealer just replied to me that they are "leaning" on VW for me.

we'll see what happens

Last edited:

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Just spoke with service rep at dealer. He says the fuel pump in the fuel tank (but not the HPFP) needs to be replaced, and that there are no metallic particles in fuel system -- described system as "clean". Additional cost around $420. (Also offered a loaner.) I'm crossing my fingers.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Just spoke with service rep at dealer. He says the fuel pump in the fuel tank (but not the HPFP) needs to be replaced, and that there are no metallic particles in fuel system -- described system as "clean". Additional cost around $420. (Also offered a loaner.) I'm crossing my fingers.
This sounds like good news (at least as good as it can be, under the circumstances).

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Still waiting for the dealer to get the replacement part. Very glad they give me a loaner (a 2018 Passat), but I have to say (and this is completely OT), that the current generation Passat is no fun at all to drive. I had a 2000 Passat (which I had tuned), and that car felt so much better than this loaner.

R-1150-RS

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I was under the understanding that VW has agreed to extend the warranty to cover all engine, emissions, and transmission repairs, including the HPFP and injectors, as part of the settlement.

I don't know if it only applies to TDI vehicles AFTER they have had the 'compliance fix', of if they will extend it to those with problems before the fix due to their non-compliance.......

Its worth an ask....

Gary
:) :)

KevinGary

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 A6 TDI
I was under the understanding that VW has agreed to extend the warranty to cover all engine, emissions, and transmission repairs, including the HPFP and injectors, as part of the settlement.
I don't know if it only applies to TDI vehicles AFTER they have had the 'compliance fix', of if they will extend it to those with problems before the fix due to their non-compliance.......
Its worth an ask....
Gary
:) :)
The warranty does not start until you get the fix

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Repair was done last week (fuel pump in the fuel tank) and so far, so good.