Biodiesel Forum Name Change(Alternative Fuels) or WVO Forum Addition-Official Request

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Please see here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=204422

There is an ongoing discussion in the Biodiesel forum asking for the addition of a WVO/SVO specific forum or a change to the name of the biodiesel forum to something more inclusive, ie. Alternative Fuels. This is due to the recent increase in WVO/SVO related threads in the forum. Since Biodiesel and Waste Vegetable Oil related questions are vastly different, the request is for a new forum section devoted to running a VW TDI on vegetable oil.

If Fred or one of the moderators would please consider the addition, it would be appreciated.

Beetler

banned by choice
Oooh great suggestion, There are more than a few of us running alternative fuels in our TDIs. Sound off

kingkos

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon TDI
mdfirefighter said:
Seperate WVO out on its own, Bio and WVO should not be included in the same area.
I agree. If the powers that be are not willing to seperate Bio and SVO/WVO, then at the very least change the name of the "Biodiesel" forum to "alternative fuels" or something like that.

steve

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
While renaming the forum would be more accurate, it won't prevent the constant background noise of doubters and detractors.
I think WVO deserves it's own forum, free of restrictions and intereference.
If we're unable to get a new forum, I suggest trying new forum I created just for WVO in TDI's:
http://wvotdi.bigforumpro.com/

It's adv. free and works just like this forum.
It's a work in progress, but hopefully free from distractions so
posters can focus on their content.

Last edited:

rlfort

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Auto
I'd like to see a separate forum for WVO. I'm interested in it, and would like to see further development despite all the clear warnings and pics of fouled valves, etc. Without continuing participation and expiramentation, the technology will never have the chance to evolve or improve. Seems to me I remember many, many home-brew BioD naysayers clammering out of the woodwork several years ago claiming the sky would fall, engines would fail, Revenuers would start jailing common folk, and world economies would collapse if it took off. What a shame if the effort had of quietly died due to negative debunking. I say if the concern over WVO detractors spamming the forum unmercifully does become a reality, then the responsible admin should take charge and stop it. For the most part, I've not seen this become a problem when admins do their part to keep everything civil. I believe in Tom's origninal vision to openly share all views and ideas in the context of helping TDI owners, and to evolve new technologies what ever they are. It's a great thing! Call me polyanic, but I'm sure glad no one was listening when 'ol Herb said "It'll never fly Wilbur!"

ecodean

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf, 85 jetta(sold), 03 jetta(sold)
I'm strongly in favor of a WVO/SVO section. We need a place to EDUCATE newbies about the pros and cons of WVO use specifically in TDI's.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
BioDiesel said:
If we're unable to get a new forum, I suggest trying new forum I created just for WVO in TDI's:

Nice work! Thanks for the effort. I truly believe this is the best solution for both sides of the conflict.

Good luck!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
BioDiesel said:
While renaming the forum would be more accurate, it won't prevent the constant background noise of doubters and detractors.
I think WVO deserves it's own forum, free of restrictions and intereference.

This is the best solution IMO. There are some people that will never be happy here.
I wish you success and will recommend your site to those in need.

Bill

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
BioDiesel, the discussion of WVO in TDIs needs to have people who question such practices, due to the many engine failures that we've already seen. It's not a simple conversion, and without people who doubt said practices and insist on the utmost scrutiny and quality control, there are going to be a lot of people shelling out a lot of money due to mistakes.

Beetler

banned by choice
I think renaming to alternative fuels is good enough, with neutralized disclaimers.
Because there are quite a number of people running jet a and kero. as altern. fuels too.
I agree with VeeDubTDI that wvo topics shoudn't be a sequestered.

The vetting process is a point of paramount significance in this forum.
I know first hand how difficult it can be to have the nay sayers intnet on punishment tactics spam your post.

But you can always push the ignore key to get to the conversation you want to hear. And having every one in the mix keeps the process of desiminating information holistic in nature, rather than contrived for comfort.
Every industry has their egomainiacs, unfortunatley and fortunatly, their mental conditions drive them with ambitions of superiority. It's both annoying and usefull.

Chasee

Self-Exiled SPV, Deactivated Account
GoFaster said:
And on that note ... the timing of this is spectacular.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=205229

People who don't have technical knowledge need to stay the heck away from anything involving vegetable-oil fuel.

This doesn't really change the situation ... it just emphasizes the importance of it and the risks at hand.
Boy, prolific with your posts regarding this still total mystery, huh? Posting all over like a giddy school girl. But this post seems better, since you are obviously pointing out how this new situation perfectly illustrates why there needs to be a forum specifically for noobs to learn the ins&outs of WVO before bad stuff happens. I'm glad you finally agree.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I only linked to it in the two current threads concerning this topic - that's it. Hardly "prolific". I will concede that we don't know what the failure is yet, but the signs are ominous.