humming noise, goes away when turning right

kad783

TDI
mk4 golf, mk5 Jetta
(Solved) humming noise, goes away when turning right

My MK4 Golf TDI is having a humming noise but goes away when turning right.
Changed right baring and noise is still there. Any ideas would be helpful.
There is a bit of play in the tie rod and strut needs to be changed. I got the parts and plan to change them tomorrow. I made a video of the tire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Siy0KrT8hwo

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Did you check the left side? Most of the time it'll be the right in those circumstances but it can sometimes be the other side. Jack up the left wheel, put one hand on the spring and spin the wheel with the other, if you feel any vibration or roughness through the spring the bearing is worn.

kad783

TDI
mk4 golf, mk5 Jetta
I did check and the left side seems good to me but I will check again tomorrow, like how you said.

flashmayo

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta - Gator Tuned
I just went through an issue similar to this. In my case there was a humming noise that later turned into a growling noise accompanied by pretty severe vibration of anything not bolted down tight. The noise and vibrations would start on turning the wheel to the right as in a sweeping right turn. I assumed it was a bad bearing on the driver's side. The test that proved my wrong was to put the front end on jack stands and with the transmission in N rotate the wheel on each side while holding the spring. I could feel vibration in the spring on the passenger side. The bearing was badly scored on the inner race.

Since the bearings have an outer and inner race you could get either left or right turn grinding coming from either side.

The video you posted didn't help me either way. Too much ambient noise from the engine.

kad783

TDI
mk4 golf, mk5 Jetta
Ok guys this has been solved!
Thanks to flashmayo and Seatman!

I changed both outer tie rods, the right strut, the right cv joint as it was leaking a bit.
The noise was still there, so I took flashmayo and Seatman suggestions and tested the driver side bearing. There was vibration while holding the spring, so today I changed the driver side baring and now the car sounds great. No griding noise anymore! Thanks guys!