volkswagenplus.ca thinks my car has an auto tranny

i.heart.dsl

TDI
01 Jetta 1.9 5M, previously 09 Jetta CRD Highline
Well because I didnt get an owners manual with my car ive been using volkwagenplus.ca for my maintenance info.

I entered my VIN an started checking everything out. It is an awesome feature for VW owners IMO. I just wish they would go past 160,000km.

According to this my TB is due every 64,000km's, which is clearly for the auto model. There is no option for manual or auto, all the info is taken from the VIN. I know it calls for TB at 92,000 for the manual.

A few other things that arent listed:

No gearbox fluid change? Is it suppose to be "lifetime" hah!
Coolant flush interval?
PS fluid?

Also, how many people really stretch the oil to 16,000km's?

Jolio

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Bentley makes maintenance schedules available online, I have yet to see any differences between that and my owner's manual. Gearbox & coolant check intervals are on there, I don't know about PS--maybe it uses a shared reservoir, like clutch & brake fluid do...

As for oil change interval, 10k mi / 16k km is what it says, I've seen plenty here on the forum (just look at some UOA results) using that interval, my guy recommended 7k mi, but as I bought my vehicle with 170k mi, I guess he's playing it on the safe side until I've run the car for more than (currently 5k miles), to make sure everything's working properly.

Hope that helps!

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
Upgraded parts in the timing belt kit now allow for 100 000 mile/160 000km belt changes.
Oil change interval is 10 000 miles/16 000 km. Many members that do oil analysis do longer intervals. The consensus is early changes are a waste of money, ie. no benefit.
Manual tranny, coolant and ps fluid are all lifetime fill according to VW. Many people here like to change the tranny gear oil at 100 000 miles/160 000 km. OEM VW gear oil seems to work best.
Brake and clutch fluid is to be flushed every 2 years.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I do my TB at 160,000km, oil changes at 25,000km.

I have never changed my tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, or engine coolant. Well, I did top up my engine coolant on the previous 3 TB changes, thermostat change, and coolant sensor change - so I guess you can say that has been changed.

i.heart.dsl

TDI
01 Jetta 1.9 5M, previously 09 Jetta CRD Highline
Thanks for the hints. Ive got all the parts to upgrade to the 100k mile TB. Mine is due. I plan on getting some Lubromoly gear oil to do my tranny soon.

This is one thing I sorta love about getting a "new" car.:D Doing all the maintenance give me warm fuzzies inside lol. Just did the cabin and engine air filter and fuel filter. Ive got a diesel purge in mind as well. Trying to get rid of the start-up smoke.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Not sure what is the history of your 01 jetta? The automatic trans in those cars is known for being terribly expensive to replace if / when it fails. Due to that, conversions from automatic to 5-speed have become a very viable procedure. Maybe your car started out life as an auto, and was converted to 5-speed?

Here is one source for the proper manual trans oil. I strongly recommend using it- see my past posts / replies.

OEM G70 manual transmission fluid ~ $14/bottle, need 2 bottles for A4
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1438