What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I ordered some e-code headlights with glass lenses. From another vendor, I also ordered new turn signal indicators, wiring kit and a Euro switch for the E-codes.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Just not sure if to me, it’s worth waiting and paying that much for a bag...I was almost home free with the entire wheel except for LKQ’s policy. Ugh! Plus all the extra buttons...

To me the wait/hunt is 1/2 the fun. Though there's a pretty good chance I'll sell the wheel and put one of the Audi A4 TIP wheels back in the car??

Those single stage bags are usually below 80 on eBay or my local jy sells the bags for 52 plus tax ;) I've got several wheels and several control modules but have dual stage bags for most of them as my 07 rabbit is dual based and single conversion resulted in loss of cruise control lol... Still working on that issue. For now the mk4 is getting a manual swap; fmic kit; brm intake with egr delete and then maybe I'll get around to the coilovers I have laying in the parts bin since 6+ months ;) haha

My MK4 has lots of partially completed project, this is just 1 of the many :(

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I tried putting a MFSW in my 02 which didn't come originally with one. How do you program the functions to work? Thanks, I have VCDS.

To be honest, I didn't research it much at all. If my car originally had a MFSW, I would have asked my Brother, as he swapped a 3 spoke MFSW into his Audi that originally had a 4 spoke MFSW.

I'm kind of saving the complete (wheel & bag) MK6 MFSW for if I get a nice car to swap it into.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Ordered a Sigma 5 Short Shifter and Deluxe Bushing Kit. Nozzles and Tune to follow. Then new suspension. When does it end?!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I might have copied someone.... Hope it makes an improvement!

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Lol, I had to look hard to figure out that ain't my car!
I'll expect a royalty check in the mail. {;o)

I used to get a puff of smoke on tip in of the throttle, no more.
And I lowered the IQ a full point, no smoke, drive the car hard
a bit, even with your EGR still hooked up, it'll keep the air flow
system cleaner and according to Jeff, help the turbo from coking up.
My butt dyno tells me he's right, it's boosting smoother.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7

Can you guys explain what is going on here!?!? Haha I’m intrigued!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Bako,

(I'm the one with the better hose clamps.) {:eek:)
My guru got me onto these; over time and heat the through perforations start eating into the hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Breeze-Liner-Stainless-Worm-Drive-Diameter/dp/B009SCXZY4

Lots of articles on the net about catch cans,,,,,,,,,,

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
- washed the o2j (I have a suspicion that it has a LSD in it by the way)

- Received the brm egr delete and race pipe kit

- cleaned the brm intake up a little while at scrubbing dirty stuff [emoji14]

Getting closer to the full conversion people ;)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, Russell & Nero, what make and model of the catch can did you use?
We have the same catch can. Ordered from ebay, "BMW N54 135i 335i 535i Burger Motorsport Type Baffled Oil catch can" to find it.

I was in a rush installing it before going to work this morning, so hose clamps were installed just to be functional!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI

You'll get it in six easy payments, and one really hard payment, over the course of the next 12 years :)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll take the hard pavement any day, not into dirt. {:eek:)

I see you improved the hose lead from the ccv to the can.
I should have made mine 1/2" longer, it's touching the injector line.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just kind of winged it to be fair. I also used a brass elbow from the valve cover to hose.

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Took some time today and installed the Dieselgeek deluxe shifter bushing kit. I left the front/back bushing until I swap out the exhaust as I didn't feel like getting under the car today.

Even without it I can feel a noticable difference. Still a slight wobble in the shifter so I'm hoping that last bushing will take care of it.

Also looking to get the short shifter at some point and cleaning up the rest of the shift.

Tomorrow's plan (assuming the weather cooperates): replacing all the splash shields and wheel liners.

TwinTurboKen

TDI
04 Jetta 5-spd TDI
installed the new glow plugs with some copper anti-seize and a torque wrench, then cleared the codes for the 2 bad glow plugs (had a CEL on because cyl 1 and cyl 4 glow plugs were dead.) No more CEL :)

Also replaced my hvac control assembly today with a genuine vw one. I first tried the cheap route of an aftermarket one on amazon and the bulb was dim, the cable pegs were out of spec (seriously I spent an hour trying to get the cables hooked onto the pegs) and the center fan speed knob was glued in!!! I was like ***?! cause I was going to try a different bulb to see if it would be brighter, but trying to pull the center knob out ripped the entire face and the whole switch out of the thing... chinese piece of garbage part! Went to VW and bought a genuine one...OMG night and day difference in quality and getting the cables hooked onto the pegs on that one was a breeze. Took me about 45 mins total to pull apart the dash again, pull the radio out, pull the defective part out, put the new part in, and put everything back together.

Anyway the whole reason I had to replace it was the light bulb fixture inside of it had crumbled apart from heat and age and it just couldn't hold a bulb anymore. Got tired of not being able to see my climate controls at night.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Took some time today and installed the Dieselgeek deluxe shifter bushing kit. I left the front/back bushing until I swap out the exhaust as I didn't feel like getting under the car today.

Even without it I can feel a noticable difference. Still a slight wobble in the shifter so I'm hoping that last bushing will take care of it.

Also looking to get the short shifter at some point and cleaning up the rest of the shift.

Tomorrow's plan (assuming the weather cooperates): replacing all the splash shields and wheel liners.
I thought all the bushings in the DieselGeek Deluxe Kit could be installed from inside the cabin, no?

Edit: Never mind, the cable savers need you to get into the shifter box. Or at least one of them does. The other can be accessed from the top but it looks like it would be a pain to do.

Last edited:

Nyk

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Yeah, if you cut a hole in the side of the shifter box it's possible to get access to the second shifter cable, but I didn't really feel like going that route. I'll just wait until I upgrade the exhaust and do it then.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Super easy to install the kit in the cabin. After removing a shifter box from a parts car, I would still install it in the cabin. One easy to do holesaw hole in aluminum. I've drilled 2.

DMan1198

TDI
02 VW Jetta
In the interest of frugal, I went for plastic. Though if I had brass
I woulda' used it.
If you like frugal here’s mine. Only things I bought was the piece of hose from the can to the intake, and the steel wool inside the can. Built the can, and bracket. Total cost was about $7.

McGuillicuddy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (5MT)
Super easy to install the kit in the cabin. After removing a shifter box from a parts car, I would still install it in the cabin. One easy to do holesaw hole in aluminum. I've drilled 2.
Not sure I understand why, but apparently the hole-saw method only works if your old bushing is completely disintegrated. At least that's what it says in the video. I don't think mine is that shot - I was mostly doing this preventatively since I am installing a Sigma 5 I thought I'd do all the bushings too. Maybe will just hang on to the Cable Savers until I really need them.

mjydrafter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Not sure I understand why, but apparently the hole-saw method only works if your old bushing is completely disintegrated. At least that's what it says in the video. I don't think mine is that shot - I was mostly doing this preventatively since I am installing a Sigma 5 I thought I'd do all the bushings too. Maybe will just hang on to the Cable Savers until I really need them.

Not sure where you heard this (oops you said video, I must have ignored it), but both of the original bushings I removed were intact. I'm even fairly confident they could be reused. (they weren't the problem in either of the shifters I worked on).

I will add they most likely will be destroyed taking them out if they are in any way marginal.

Just FYI. :D

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"If you like frugal here’s mine. Only things I bought was the piece of hose from the can to the intake, and the steel wool inside the can.
Built the can, and bracket. Total cost was about $7." Dman1198

Nice! A lot depends on the depth of one's parts inventory.
I spent <$40, and got a bunch of quality hose clamps left over.

When shopping around I was stunned at the price of "kits",
Jeff of RC advised me to avoid them, and be sure to use 3/4"
ID tube.

Have you found an appreciable benefit?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
"If you like frugal here’s mine. Only things I bought was the piece of hose from the can to the intake, and the steel wool inside the can.
Built the can, and bracket. Total cost was about $7." Dman1198

Nice! A lot depends on the depth of one's parts inventory.
I spent <$40, and got a bunch of quality hose clamps left over.

When shopping around I was stunned at the price of "kits",
Jeff of RC advised me to avoid them, and be sure to use 3/4"
ID tube.

Have you found an appreciable benefit?
And what benefits have you noticed with your catch can setup? Yes, cleaner intake, but any performance changes? I want to take mine off today and see how much crud is in there...