Engine flush

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Reviving a dead post
i just performed the Amsoil engine flush on my 99.5 ALH golf...OMG.
the car has 259k and has been parked for a few years.
ran the engine flush for 15 mins. refilled with the updated CK4 diesel engine oil. and the effect was dramatic. at least for anyone to is in tune with their motor.
it comes highly recommended.
What was dramatic about it? If the car sat for a few years how would you be able to compare anything? This would maybe be the case where I would say it might be useful as sitting for years can't be good for it and getting all the old gunk out from sitting should help, if it works.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Are people thinking about doing an engine flush wanting to do so because of the oil appearing so black? (LOL) Black oil in a diesel is normal and new oil following an oil change will be black almost immediately and often before the engine is started again.

The oil SHOULD appear black because that means the oil is doing its job and controlling soot by keeping soot safely suspended in the oil where it does no harm. The time to worry is if and when the oil appears anything other than black.

Sent from my XP8800 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grendelprime

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen tdi
There are several reasons to perform an engine flush, especially on an engine of unknown maintenance. For starters I live in a medium sized city. I could not find the proper oil for my 2012 jetta anywhere other than the local VW dealer. I just ordered Liqui moly from amazon. But I'm a Technician at a power sports dealer, i did the research on why the 507 spec is used. The average person trying to save a buck wont care, just stick some 10w30 in there and go. I've also seen what older 1.8t look like even with basic oil changes under the valve cover.
I personally use atf to gas flush engines. I add up to one quart to the crankcase and run them for a while depending how bad it is. Then drain, and fill like normal. If its really bad I will rinse and repeat with cheap oil and oil filters until it starts to look good. Atf has lots of detergents in it and will help break down the sludge.
now our TDI's should never need flushed if they have a DPF and are regularly put into regen. The extra diesel fuel will act as a solvent in the oil and keep things clean.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Why does ATF have detergents? I see this a lot. There are no combustion products in a transmission.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
There is no clutch disk (or synchro) residue in an engine either. Both have thier own kinds of gunk . . .

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I've seen my share of sludge monsters, but never seen a sludged up tdi firsthand. I think that would require some serious neglect.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
If you want to see a sludged up TDI, there are several posts here from back in the day when folks were more or less experimenting with varying concentrations of biodiesel. I think some even ran homebrew. I still remember seeing pics under the valve cover of a PD engine, all black and shiny, completely seized up.

That hurt. But what the hey, the owner had driven several dozen thousand miles for "free." Come to find out nothing in life is free...