2006 Jetta tdi motor stopped running under acceleration now won’t turn over starter j

chaos2984

TDI
06 Jetta
need a little more detail on what happened. Sounds like the engine is locked up. I would try to turn it over by hand and see if you can turn it over.

twin turbo

TDI
2- 2006 jetta tdi
I was under acceleratin in to a on ramp then it just quit running no noise nothing now starter just clicks like motor is locked up could it be a accessory part locked up the car is a stick

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Pull the timing belt cover and look at the entire timing belt. Look especially for stripped teeth.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
Timing belt still in tact just looking for some advice starter just clicks
A starter might click due to low voltage and current too. These cars will not run at all if the electrical system fails. I suggest that you check your battery before doing anything else. My 06 Jetta TDI exhibited very odd problems once just because the battery was weak. Batteries can fail suddenly. I had one actually explode once, stopping the car's engine immediately.

twin turbo

TDI
2- 2006 jetta tdi
We tried to start the car using jumper cables and it just clicked but the lights on the dash went crazy and they went dim and then the windows wouldn’t roll up or anything. The E-brake light started flashing and then it started beeping loudly. We had to put the cables back on in order to roll the windows back up and for the car to stop going crazy. After taking the cables off they were super hot to touch.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
It looks like you are zeroing in on the problem, and the problem definitely appears to be electrical. Furthermore, I suspect the engine wire harness, primarily because it is a known weak point in these cars and can have wear and damage that can completely prevent the car from running. I suggest that you search 'engine wire harness' and read some of the cases.

Mattyoctavia

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 golf TDI DSG.
Had you started the engine shortly before this problem occurred? I have seen a few cases where the starter had stuck engaged into the flywheel then eventually seized resulting in symptoms of a seized engine, starter clicking but won't turn and jump cables trying to melt when attempting to jump start due to the huge current being drawn on it.
Once exhausted the basic avenues i would suggest pulling the starter motor out then see if the engine will turn over by hand.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Stop trying to turn the engine over with the starter! All you are doing is causing more damage. With a sudden stoppage like that you should investigate before you try to start it. A disintegrated DMF could lock up the engine as well.

Use a 19 MM socket and try to turn the engine by hand in the direction of rotation from the crank bolt. Other than some resistance from compression, if the engine won't turn by hand you have problems that need to be addressed before you even think about using the starter.

Last edited:

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I agree to stop trying to turn it over with the starter until you've verified it can be turned over by hand without issue. If you can turn it over, I'd start looking at the ground cable and the battery. What did you try jumping the car off with? If anything less than a dual battery diesel truck than you are probably trying to draw too much current off the other vehicle (unless another TDI). The other symptoms with lights and windows sounds like the battery is shot as well, and if the voltage runs too low (say if the charging circuit is also bad (alternator)) once a certain voltage is met the car would shut down and you would get the "clicking" starter.

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Yes totally agree turn the engine over by hand. To me it sounds electrical but until you know the engine is ok not worth looking at that. Once you have confirmed engine turns and belt is in good shape then look at wiring grounds, wiring harness, fuse box, and ECU. My guess is that is where your problem is but that is only a guess.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
He did say the cable connections were super hot and that the lights went extremely dim when he tried to crank which sounds to me like something is blocking the engine from turning and would cause amperage draw to go through the roof because the starter can't turn. A stalled starter motor is pretty much like dead short when you turn the key.

twin turbo

TDI
2- 2006 jetta tdi
Motor is not locked up starter was just clicking then I tried it again and motor turns over for a sec now the starter don’t engage just winds when key is turned on got starter bench tested tested fine put back in car and still just winds when try to start

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Motor is not locked up starter was just clicking then I tried it again and motor turns over for a sec now the starter don’t engage just winds when key is turned on got starter bench tested tested fine put back in car and still just winds when try to start

When the starter was out did you look for play in the DMF flywheel? Using a screw driver should not be able to move flywheel more that 10mm or so. Also look for bad teeth on flywheel.

On fords I know the starter can bind so it does not engage the flywheel sometimes as they get old. Fix is to tap with a hammer. Not sure if this is something VW starters do.

I hope you have inspected the timing belt before you did this but if you did not I would think it is to late now.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Not to beat you up or anything, but did you confirm that the engine is not locked up by turning it at least one full revolution in the direction of engine rotation from the crank like I posted 5 days ago? Sorry I did not mention the one full revolution part in my 1rst post. My bad if it caused confusion................
Stop trying to turn the engine over with the starter! All you are doing is causing more damage. With a sudden stoppage like that you should investigate before you try to start it. A disintegrated DMF could lock up the engine as well.

Use a 19 MM socket and try to turn the engine by hand in the direction of rotation from the crank bolt. Other than some resistance from compression, if the engine won't turn by hand you have problems that need to be addressed before you even think about using the starter.

Last edited: