How Little Adblue?

Rez1

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Sorry, initially put this in the wrong forum. how much DEF do I need to put in to clear the warning for Low Adblue? I have put in 1 of those special stealership bottles, but it's still on. Didn't really want to fill it up all the way as November 1 is the tentative return date of the car. I'm down to 400 miles now. Thanks in advance.

Rez1

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Awesome! Thank you!!

Since I already put in the stealership DEF, I'm assuming mixing Autozone's version with it is completely alright? Oh, any special funnel needed? How big is the Adblue tank? Surely don't want to spill and make the car stink!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The AdBlue tank is 5 gallons from empty, so you should be fine to add the entire contents of the 2.5 gallon tote.

You can use a long funnel to make pouring easier, or you can unscrew the cap on your VW bottle and refill it from your big DEF jug. If you listen while you're filling, you'll hear when it gets close to full. Be careful not to overfill, as spilled DEF is a pain in the next to clean up.

How to refill the VW bottle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5rXEWIeGCU

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Those little "stealership" bottles only hold 1.5 liters, I think. Most DEF is sold here in the U.S. in a 2.5 gal. jug, or of course a person can always toddle down to the truck stop and hose a 55 gal. drum full out of the pumps. Based on what I've read about people turning the warning off, I'd say "more." Why not just fill it up? A 2.5 gal jug of DEF at Rural King (where I shop) is less than $10. (And, just to make it clear, all DEF is DEF, there is only one formula, which is a supersaturated solution of urea, I forget the concentration.)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
BTW, the large DEF jugs are very affordable @ VW stealerships, I was surprised.
If you still have some $ on the dealer card, thats one of the items you can buy .

In my case, I usually add 1-2 bottles-worth of DEF when I get the warning and then it is gone for few months. I bought one of these @ a dealer and use it to refill the tank.

Of course, if you're going on a cross-country trip, it makes sense to top the tank off.
Otherwise, lugging around 5 gallons of DEF is just extra load on the tank, suspension & engine :) .

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've discovered, with our Passat, that it will take just a little under a 2.5 gal. jug at the 10K engine oil change (and some others posting to this forum seem to get similar consumption). Why not just dump in a jug when doing the oil change? I got a M-B hose / jug that just hooks up and the DEF drains into the tank, clean, neat, no spillage.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got the 50K oil change done yesterday at the dealer (on the last credit on my courtesy card), told them not to do the AdBlue. I stopped by Rural King on the way home and picked up a 2.5 gal. jug for $6.99 and it took all but a few ounces. So, at least for my car's consumption, the figure of about 2.5 gal. for 10K miles seems pretty good....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
2.5 gallons of DEF per 10,000 miles is 1% of fuel consumption (assuming 40 MPG fuel consumption). If the car wasn't cheating on emissions, it would consume 7.5 gallons DEF per 10,000 miles, which is the industry average of 3% of fuel consumption.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Hope the "fix" for Gen 2 is just 3x as much AdBlue and no noticeable change to mileage, power, or reliability. Wouldn't bother me at all to add a container every 3,300 miles.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hope the "fix" for Gen 2 is just 3x as much AdBlue and no noticeable change to mileage, power, or reliability. Wouldn't bother me at all to add a container every 3,300 miles.
^^^^^^

Yes, I'd very much like to see something like this. At the current price for AdBlue, it'd just be something I'd set as an alert in my calendar for every two months and top off the tank. Of course, our current plans involve the buyback, not the fix, making this pretty academic for us.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I've heard they may replace one of the filters in the exhaust as well (not the DPF). But yeah, needing to fill the AdBlue tank one, or even twice, between oil changes would be no big deal. I understand why VW wanted to keep it within normal service timeframes, but overall no big deal.

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
If the fix is using more adblue (3% vs 1%) wouldn't that use more fuel, because the adblue is just the catalyst, the diesel fuel is what burns the soot in the pdf right? Or is more adblue with same fuel the answer to emissions issue?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If the fix is using more adblue (3% vs 1%) wouldn't that use more fuel, because the adblue is just the catalyst, the diesel fuel is what burns the soot in the pdf right? Or is more adblue with same fuel the answer to emissions issue?
The AdBlue system and the diesel particulate filter (DPF) are two totally separate systems. They both need heat to work, but one is not directly related to the other.

They may need to increase fuel consumption slightly in order to keep the SCR system hot enough for the AdBlue to work efficiently under transient engine load conditions.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
How soon after you top up the tank does the warning message stop popping up?

Next restart or does it take a couple cycles?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, this morning I added prob a gallon and a half I had left over last time I topped up and still had the warning. I'll toss another 2.5 at it and see where were at.

In 73K miles this is the first time we've had the warning light come up, but granted I can't quite remember last time I topped up.

So far the mileage drop has been linear on the display, dreading adblue heater replacement dealer visit hassle.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
light went off at lunch, was still able to toss 2 more gallons into it (refilled a krus bottle for spare), so possibly 3.5 gal added when the light came on.

wallyworld had 2.5 gal for $7.99

Price at the pump at the local stations is 2.59/gal.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
light went off at lunch, was still able to toss 2 more gallons into it (refilled a krus bottle for spare), so possibly 3.5 gal added when the light came on.
<snip>
So- you finally got the light to go off and stay off?