2006 VW Jetta BRM TDI DSG to 5-speed manual conversion/ swap

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
Has anyone on the forum done this swap? I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with a bad mechatronics unit and purchased a complete 5-speed swap this evening. Looking for info on wiring and changing ECM settings? I will document as much of the swap as possible within this thread to help others complete this swap as well.

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
I don't know if this helps you. I did a 6 Speed swap in my 5 speed Jetta. So I have everything you need for the auto to 5 speed swap except the transmission and the pedals. I have the following.
Both drive shafts
Starter and bolts
Shifter box / cables and boot
Vr6 / G60 clutch and flywheel

Let me know if you need any of it.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know if this helps you. I did a 6 Speed swap in my 5 speed Jetta. So I have everything you need for the auto to 5 speed swap except the transmission and the pedals. I have the following.
Both drive shafts
Starter and bolts
Shifter box / cables and boot
Vr6 / G60 clutch and flywheel

Let me know if you need any of it.
I appreciate it, but I already purchased the complete swap. I think I saw your car for sale on the Pittsburgh craigslist? If so that is a really nice ride!

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
I started the swap this weekend. I got the DSG removed tonight. Once everything was unbolted on the transmission and I attempted to lower it the passenger side drive flange was binding on the engine and the drivers side drive flange was binding on the control arm. Every thread and video I have ran across advised to either remove the control arm/subframe or pull the radiator and shift the engine forward. I found a much easier way my friends. I SIMPLY REMOVED BOTH DRIVE FLANGES and the trans literally lowered right out of the car.

Last edited:

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I think I saw this car on Craigslist!
Is it dark grey?

If so I have an identical car but factory 5-speed. I considered buying this one for parts.

What part of Oho are you in?

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I saw this car on Craigslist!
Is it dark grey?

If so I have an identical car but factory 5-speed. I considered buying this one for parts.

What part of Oho are you in?
It's dark blue, but I did have it on craigslist for awhile. I purchased it on ebay and the seller advised it was a failed mechatronics unit. I had hoped it was something more simple, but once it was shipped to me I did confirm it was in fact a failed mechatronics unit. I put it on craigslist for awhile, but finally decided to proceed with a manual swap. I am in Jamestown, OH near Dayton, OH.

Last edited:

pghvdubguy95

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat se 6m,
Last edited:

Barnitz

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
It's dark blue, but I did have it on craigslist for awhile. I purchased it on ebay and the seller advised it was a failed mechatronics unit. I had hoped it was something more simple, but once it was shipped to me I did confirm it was in fact a failed mechatronics unit. I put it on craigslist for awhile, but finally decided to proceed with a manual swap. I am in Jamestown, OH near Dayton, OH.
Ah, not the one I was thinking of.
Goodluck on getting it swapped. Sounds like you will come out ahead either way!

I'm down in Cinci, so if you have any questions about a stock 5-speed I might be able to help.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, not the one I was thinking of.
Goodluck on getting it swapped. Sounds like you will come out ahead either way!
I'm down in Cinci, so if you have any questions about a stock 5-speed I might be able to help.
You were probably talking about the low mileage tdi that was for sale in Cleveland. I almost bought that one first. I wish I had. After paying to get this one shipped the lower mileage tdi was not much more. Unfortunately, he sold it I believe.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok so I made some more progress this weekend. Shifter, clutch, and clutch pedal are installed. I'm not going to do a total DIY as some of the information is readily available online as DIYs such as how to remove the DSG, how to remove/install shifter, how to change the clutch, and how to reinstall a manual trans after clutch change. I will note some things specific to the swap and some shortcuts I have found in regards to the above DIYs.

1. To remove the DSG you DO NOT need to shift the engine forward, shift/pull the radiator, or drop the subframe as some manuals and online tutorials describe. Simply remove the drive axle flanges from the DSG and it will easily go out the bottom.

2. After removing the 6 M12 bolts from the DMF it still did not want to come off the crankshaft even with pulling and prying. I had to tap the sides of it with a hammer in a circular pattern to break it free.

3.The shifter was the biggest pain so far in the swap. The 4 nuts that hold it in place are in the cabin and it drops out of the bottom. It would be much easier to swap the shifter with a lift. Optimally you would unbolt the exhaust at both the turbo and the clamp before the catalytic converter and then remove the headshield. The clamp at the turbo was giving me trouble so I unclamped the exhaust before the cat and was able to scoot it over enough to bend the heatshield and swap the shifter. I don't recommend this route because it's going to be difficult to straighten up the heatshield due to how much I had to bend it.

4. The automatic had the access hole already in the firewall along with the studs to install the clutch pedal. There is a plastic plug that pops right out of the firewall. Even the sound deadening in the cabin was already perforated for the clutch pedal. No cutting was required.

5. The brake pedals ARE DIFFERENT between the automatic and manual. You will need a brake pedal from a manual trans car.

At this point I still need to install the trans and axles, button everything up, bleed the clutch, and then do the wiring and coding of the ECU.

Picture of clutch pedal installed and also differences in brake pedals. The uninstalled pedal in this pic is a brake pedal from a manual trans car. A special tool is required to remove the clip that holds the rod/ball from the brake booster to the brake pedal. I was able to use two small screwdrivers on each side of the clip to remove it without the special tool. Also note that if your car is built after Nov 2005 you will not need to swap over the brake switch as it is mounted on the master cylinder. Cars built before that had the brake switch on the brake pedal.

Perforated sound deadening material and plug from firewall for clutch pedal.

Clutch pedal access hole is directly next to the brake booster. The brake master cylinders appear to be the same between automatic and manual. Just cut off the nipple on the side of the master cylinder reservoir and run the hose to the clutch pedal master cylinder.

Last edited:

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Nice write-up! Curious to hear about the wiring. I have a 06 Jetta that I think will go this same route.

Cheers,
Ben

Überläufer

TDI
2006 Jetta
Could anyone give a ballpark guesstimate on what a TDI guru might charge in labor to do this swap? Not counting the cost of the new transmission.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Ive read the swap parts usually cost around $1500 and labor is usually charged the same $1500. Not sure what people pay but thats what ive read.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
Could anyone give a ballpark guesstimate on what a TDI guru might charge in labor to do this swap? Not counting the cost of the new transmission.
Ive read the swap parts usually cost around $1500 and labor is usually charged the same $1500. Not sure what people pay but thats what ive read.
I bought the swap locally, but Frans at Dutch Auto Parts quoted me $1200 shipped for a 5speed swap and $1500 shipped for a 6speed swap. You will still need fluids and he does include a used clutch, but I would recommend buying new. Also there will be costs in buying a manual ECU and having the immobilizer defeated or having your ECU flashed to a manual. I am in Ohio so keep in mind that those prices may vary depending on your location. If I were to charge someone to do this swap I would charge between $1500-$2000 labor. A shop would probably want more. I estimate it would still take an experienced tech 20+ hours.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess I left everyone hanging. My apologies. I have put around 1500 miles on the car since the swap and I can confirm it can be done. I still have a few bugs to workout, but that is mainly because of my procrastination and nothing to do with any impossibilities of the swap itself. I have yet to wire up the cruise control and do have a check engine light and traction control light due to the ecu and abs module searching for the DSG trans. Tuners have quoted me around $300 to reflash the ECU to a manual. Another option is to buy a manual ECU and have the immobilizer defeated. The car runs great even without doing that and as far as getting the car to run the wiring is beyond simple. I will add detailed info in the next few days.

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
Any update. Getting ready to do this myself. Getting a wrecked tdi with a 5 speed and am gonna pull the complete engine and trans. So can someone tell me what neeeds to be removed before I junk the parts car.

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
Any update. Getting ready to do this myself. Getting a wrecked tdi with a 5 speed and am gonna pull the complete engine and trans. So can someone tell me what neeeds to be removed before I junk the parts car.
Most of the info you need is here:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/thread...-dsg-to-5-speed-manual-swap-conversion.29322/

If you have questions feel free to ask, I'm super busy but I'll try to help you out. Just did one last week and I'm doing another next week.

Cheers,
Ben

justintime_3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 tdi Jetta, 2006 tdi jetta PKG 2
Ok try not to bother you with dumb questions. I know in the mkiv you just had to change the coding. I have been reading that this is different. So my question is do I need to get the ecu from the parts car and keys for the immobilized to alleviate having to get the ecu flashed.
And still confused about getting cruise control working.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I got the ECU from teh donor. I have heard that you can have your Auto ECU reprogrammed for a 5sp. Talk to member jetta,97. He programmed my cluster for manual and programmed my VIN into the donor ECU.

Tony

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Ok try not to bother you with dumb questions. I know in the mkiv you just had to change the coding. I have been reading that this is different. So my question is do I need to get the ecu from the parts car and keys for the immobilized to alleviate having to get the ecu flashed.
And still confused about getting cruise control working.
Cruise is pretty easy. See my post on myturbodiesel. Get a cheapie ecu and send it off for an immo delete. I bought an ecu off ebay for 40 bucks and immo delete for 100 i think. That is all you have to do.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You don't have to do the immo delete. Have the ECU recoded to your VIN and the cluster recoded to a manual trans. That's how I did mine, 10k miles ago.
Tony

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s
You don't have to do the immo delete. Have the ECU recoded to your VIN and the cluster recoded to a manual trans. That's how I did mine, 10k miles ago.
Tony
But an Immo delete is way easier IMO. Plus if you ever get a new key you don't have to worry about it being programmed in order to start the car. Or if your current key loses its programming to the car you don't have to worry about being stuck stranded somewhere, that's happened to me before. Now I delete the immobilizer on all my cars.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Implement the solution however you are comfortable. I was only expressing my opinion.
Tony

vwjettadsl

TDI
TDI’s

BigTurboAlh

Veteran Member
TDI
06 ranger cjaa swap
I read that thread but I must’ve skipped right over the pdf. I’ll let you know how it goes thanks