VW 2007 City Golf and 2007 City Jetta brand entry models announced

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
While not TDI related, interesting fact that the A4s are coming back to Canada as City Golfs and City Jettas.

Volkswagen 2007 City Golf and 2007 City Jetta brand entry models announced

AJAX, ON, Sept. 25 /CNW/ - Volkswagen announced its new 'City' brand entry strategy which is defined with two models: the 2007 City Golf and 2007 City Jetta. Exclusive to the Canadian market, these new brand entry propositions are the latest models to join an already impressive roster of value-priced models recently-introduced at Volkswagen.
"This strategy will enable us to compete very effectively in the popular and growing sub-compact segment in Canada," said John White, Executive Vice-President of Volkswagen Canada. "These cars will appeal to a new category of buyers who, otherwise, might not have considered the Volkswagen brand",added Mr. White.
The City Golf and City Jetta models go on sale on October 14th, with pricing starting at $14,900 for the City Golf and $16,700 for the City Jetta.Standard features include 15 inch wheels, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS,MP3-readable CD player, height adjustable and telescopic steering wheel,variable intermittent front wipers, height adjustable driver seat, 60/40 split folding rear seat, and more. The City Jetta also adds standard power door locks with remote locking, an anti-theft alarm system, chrome exterior appliqués, aluminium-look instrument surrounding, and front floor mats. Packed with value, the City Golf and City Jetta models conjugate legendary German engineering and driving enjoyment, with a very sensible price point.
The 2007 City Golf and City Jetta benefit from industry-leading fit and finish, class-leading driving dynamics, as well as the inherent body strength and crash protection coming from their laser-welding production process. These vehicles also offer a spacious and practical interior with easy entry thanks to large door and luggage compartment openings.
Drivers of the City Golf or City Jetta will benefit from their suspension system that uses an independent McPherson strut font setup, as well as a track-correcting torsion beam at the rear. Moreover, a five-speed manual transmission is standard, and a four-speed automatic is optional. Both the City Golf and City Jetta are powered by a proven and torque-generous 2.0 litre four-cylinder engine that generates 115 horsepower and 122 lb/ft of torque at a low 2,600 rpm. Among the most impressive driving advancements, is an optional electronic stability programme (ESP) that uses multiple sensors,coupled with the vehicle's ABS system, to selectively apply the brake on an individual wheel in an attempt to maintain the driver's control of the vehicle at all times. This comprehensive safety system also includes an integrated electronic differential lock (EDL), anti-slip regulation (ASR) traction control, as well as an emergency brake assistant (EBA).
The list of individual option continues with side airbags, side curtain protection, and air conditioning. Packages offered are the following: a cold weather package with heated front seats and washer nozzles, a convenience package replete with items such as power windows, mirrors, and cruise control,and finally, a luxury package with power sunroof and 15" alloy wheels. For added assurance, the City Golf and the City Jetta will come with 24-hour Roadside Assistance for four years with unlimited distance and new vehicle warranties including:
<< - Five-year/100,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first) Powertrain
Limited Warranty
- Four-year/80,000 kilometres (whichever occurs first) New Vehicle
Limited Warranty with wear and tear items and adjustments excluded
after the initial 12 months/20,000 kilometres
- 12 year unlimited distance Limited Warranty against body-panel
corrosion perforation
>>

Founded in 1952, Volkswagen Canada, Inc. is headquartered in Ajax,Ontario. It is a subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, headquartered in Wolfsburg,Germany. Volkswagen is one of the world's largest producers of passenger car sand Europe's largest automaker. Volkswagen sells the City Golf, City Jetta,Rabbit, GTI, New Beetle, Jetta, Passat, Eos, and Touareg through more than 130 independent Canadian dealers.

Last edited:

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
The are A4s. Here is a little more commentary on it:
http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=69473&pg=1

Volkswagen is getting back on track. After a few lean years with aging products on their lots, the manufacturer is proud of its 10.9% increase in sales compared to the same period last year. Now that the Rabbit has hopped its way into showrooms and the new Jetta is selling more than last year, it's time for VW to take action in a growing segment of the automotive marketplace, the subcompact category.

2007 Volkswagen Golf City (Photo: Philippe Champoux, Auto123.com)According to Bruce Rosen, General Manager of Marketing Communications for VW Canada Inc., the company wondered what the customer would prefer between a subcompact and a low price. The latter is what they think we'd find most interesting, and they've got a point. Instead of developing a brand-new subcompact, or modifying an existing one from Europe in order to certify it for sale in Canada, Volkswagen decided to rely on tried-and-tested models.

The 2007 Golf City is based on the outgoing 2006 five-door Golf model, which makes way for the new Rabbit. Built in Brazil, the Golf City makes sense, since its development costs, dealer training and assembling equipment are all paid for already.

The 2007 Jetta City is based on the previous-generation model that we last saw in 2005. It's also built in Brazil, alongside the Golf City. Both vehicles will be sold only in Canada, and not in the U.S.

Power for both cars is VW's familiar 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine that produces 115 horsepower and 122 pound-feet of torque. A 5-speed manual is standard, although a 4-speed automatic is optional.

Standard equipment for both the Golf City and Jetta City include four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, dual front airbags, a CD/MP3 player (with 8 speakers in the Golf, and 6 in the Jetta) and 15-inch wheels. The Jetta also gets power door locks. The options list features air conditioning, a power group, stability control, side airbags, a power sunroof and alloy wheels, and heated seats.

2007 Volkswagen Golf City (Photo: Volkswagen Canada)The 2007 Golf City comes in at a very attractive price: $14,900. That's over $3,500 less than 2006 Golf CL, and right in subcompact price territory. So, it costs the same as a subcompact but has the interior space of a compact, along with the driving pleasure and nicely-appointed cabin of a VW. In fact, they named the Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris and Nissan Versa as the main competitors for their new old Golf.

The 2007 Jetta City also carries a bargain sticker: $16,700, or roughly $8,300 less than the next-cheapest sedan currently in VW's lineup, the 2006 Jetta 2.5. Target competition includes the Mazda3 GX, the Nissan Sentra 1.8, the Honda Civic DX and the Toyota Corolla CE.

Now, is this a desperate marketing move from a manufacturer that has no model to offer in a now-crowded subcompact field? Or, is it a clever way to sell to outsmart the competitors by offering more car for the same money? My guess is that if the Golf City and Jetta City meet their sales targets of 1,500 units in the last quarter of 2006 and 12,500 units through 2007, then we'll probably see a new VW subcompact here in a few years.

According to Volkswagen, German cars have never been so affordable, and they just might be right. As for the question above: would you choose a subcompact, or a low-priced VW compact? Not an easy choice, but you have until October 14th to decide, when these two old new cars hit Volkswagen showrooms.
and
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/07citygolfjetta.htm
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Preview: 2007 Volkswagen City Golf & City Jetta [/FONT]

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Golf. Click image to enlarge[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]Review and photos by Greg Wilson
Discuss this story in the forum at CarTalkCanada
Small hatchbacks in the $15,000 to $20,000 range are hot right now, but unfortunately the company that made its name in North America by selling small inexpensive economy cars - Volkswagen - doesn't sell a subcompact model here. The European VW Polo can't be imported to Canada because it won't meet North American crash standards. Funny, Japanese and Korean automakers don't seem to have these kind of problems - but there you are.
ord=Math.random()*10000000000000000;document.write('');[URL="http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/aolc.cd.com/firstdrive;kw=2007+Volkswagen+Golf+Jetta;sz=300x250;ord=123456789?"]http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/aolc.cd.com/firstdrive;kw=2007+Volkswagen+Golf+Jetta;sz=300x250;ord=123456789?[/URL]With the new 2007 VW Rabbit starting at almost $20,000, Volkswagen could have been without an affordable, entry-level car for 2007. Not only that, Volkswagen Canada won't be offering a diesel Golf/Rabbit or Jetta for 2007 because the current TDI engine doesn't meet new diesel emission standards. In some parts of the country, the TDI Golf represents almost half of all Golf sales, so VW dealers everywhere must have been cryin' the blues.
Fortunately, quick and imaginative thinking on the part of Volkswagen Canada execs has resulted in the return of last year's Golf and Jetta as affordable base models in the Canadian VW line-up (sorry, Americans: you won't get them).

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Golf. Click image to enlarge
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]2007 City Golf [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]
The 2007 City Golf returns with the same 115-hp 2.0-litre four-cylinder engine as before, and standard five-speed manual transmission or optional four-speed automatic. But even at a base price of $14,900, the City Golf is no stripper. Standard equipment includes 15-inch tires, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, power steering, AM/FM/CD player and eight speakers, two-tone fabric seats, height-adjustable driver's seat, 60/40 folding rear seatbacks, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, tachometer, digital clock, variable intermittent wipers and rear wiper/washer, 12-volt powerpoint in the centre console and a standard four-year/80,000 km warranty which includes four years of roadside assistance, and a five-year/100,000 km powertrain warranty.

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Golf. Click image to enlarge
[/FONT]Options include the four-speed automatic transmission ($1,150), air conditioning ($1,350), side airbags ($160), side curtain airbags ($410), ESP stability control ($450), Cold Weather Package with heated front seats and heated windshield washer nozzles ($205), a Luxury Package with alloy wheels and moonroof ($1,600), and the Convenience Package which includes power windows, power door locks, power heated mirrors, cruise control, alarm, power trunk release and remote keyless entry ($740). Even if you ordered all these options, the total price is still under $21,000, plus $695 Freight and $100 A/C tax.
To make the City Golf even more attractive to entry-level buyers, Volkswagen Canada is offering attractive financing and lease rates. Base models can be bought with $1,400 down, and $179/month with 5.9% interest for 48 months.

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Golf. Click image to enlarge[/SIZE][/FONT]While the City Golf's 115-hp 2.0-litre engine has less horsepower than most of its competitors (0 to 100 km/h takes about 10 seconds) it produces maximum torque at just 2600 rpm, giving it a more robust feel in city driving. And while its fuel consumption rating of 9.8 L/100 km (29 mpg Imp.) city and 7.1 L/100 km (40 mpg Imp.) is not quite as good as subcompacts like the Yaris and Fit, it's still pretty decent for a compact car.
The City Golf is still built in Coritiba, Brazil, and according to VW Canada Vice-President, John White, quality issues have been addressed by a new quality czar sent from Canada to improve manufacturing standards. Time will tell, I guess.

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Jetta. Click image to enlarge[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]2007 City Jetta [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]
The return of the 2007 VW City Jetta is not only good news for people looking for a cheaper Volkswagen sedan, it's also welcome news for those who liked the styling of the old Jetta better than the new one (me included).
Granted, the only engine offered, the 115-hp 2.0-litre four cylinder, is not a powerhouse, but as I mentioned, low-end torque is good around town, and this SOHC, 8-valve engine has been improved over the years to make it quieter and smoother.

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Jetta. Click image to enlarge
[/FONT]For its base price of $16,700, you get a standard five-speed manual transmission, or optional four-speed automatic, and almost all the same standard features as the City Golf: 15-inch tires, four-wheel disc brakes with ABS, power steering, AM/FM/CD player and six speakers (not eight), two-tone fabric seats, height-adjustable driver's seat, 60/40 folding rear seatbacks, tilt/telescoping steering wheel, tachometer, digital clock, variable intermittent wipers, 12-volt powerpoint in the centre console and in the trunk, and a standard four-year/80,000 km warranty which includes four years of roadside assistance, and a five-year/100,000 km powertrain warranty.
In addition, the City Jetta has a standard anti-theft alarm, and power door locks with central locking and a folding key with remote unlocking/locking.

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Jetta. Click image to enlarge[/SIZE][/FONT]Options on the City Jetta include the four-speed automatic transmission ($1,150), air conditioning ($1,350), side airbags ($160), side curtain airbags ($410), ESP stability control ($450), Cold Weather Package with heated front seats and heated windshield washer nozzles ($205), a Luxury Package with alloy wheels and moonroof ($1,600), and the Convenience Package ($540) which is slightly cheaper because power door locks are standard in the Jetta.
Fully loaded, the City Jetta comes to $22,565, plus $695 Freight and $100 A/C tax.
Base models can be bought with $1,750 down and payments of $199/month for 48 months at 5.9% interest. That should prove attractive, particularly as it has a four-year warranty. As well, competitors like the Civic, Corolla and Mazda3 are priced considerably higher.

[FONT=ms sans serif, geneva, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-2]2007 Volkswagen City Jetta. Click image to enlarge[/SIZE][/FONT]Unfortunately, there won't be a City Jetta Wagon, because it was built in Germany, not Puebla, Mexico where the City Jetta is built. Bringing back the old Golf and Jetta at reasonable prices seems like a well-timed move as motorists tighten their belts in the face of higher gas prices. The technology may be older, but it is proven, and the styling of these cars is still very attractive even after all these years. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
[yawn]

Leftovers from A4 production...

DB

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
HEY! Did anyone else notice that these have a single din AM/FM CD player?

The Golf in the pictures doesn't have AC :eek: But it does have heated seats :)

-Jason

Last edited:

meganuke

TDIClub Contributor, Vendor
TDI
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I saw the same thing...I was wondering if it would work with the Monsoon system and Phatbox.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I think the cheaper vs smaller approach is a great move and I suspect US dealers will be clamoring for piece of the action. At the entry level, a primary focus is the monthly payment. VW has a chance to create brand loyalty at the entry level, which is what the Japanese have been so good at. If people first experience the build heft of a VW, they may not be too enamored w/ the light weight build quality of Asian offerings. It's worth a shot, IMO.

ButtUglyJeff

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Jetta w/ DGS
truman said:
I think the cheaper vs smaller approach is a great move and I suspect US dealers will be clamoring for piece of the action. At the entry level, a primary focus is the monthly payment. VW has a chance to create brand loyalty at the entry level, which is what the Japanese have been so good at. If people first experience the build heft of a VW, they may not be too enamored w/ the light weight build quality of Asian offerings. It's worth a shot, IMO.
True, but then you could expect the Rabbit to then command a higher price then it does now...........

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Not a bad idea but it only works if you buy the base models. You can load 'em up to about the same price as an A5-platform Gol...er...Rabbit which comes with a pile of standard equipment that is optional on the City models. Now what would YOU rather have, a rehashed A4 Golf or Jetta, or a brand new Gol...er...Rabbit? I know I'd prefer the A5, although for the life of me I can't figure out why VW didn't select the 2.0 FSI (non-Turbo) as it's base gasser in the A5. Same HP as the 2.5 but more fuel efficient.

As for me, I'll keep my fingers crossed that in 2008 we'll get decent TDI Rabbits, Jettas, and especially, Passats. If not, then one of my current rides will be replaced, somewhere around '08/'09, with a B6 Passat wagon, 2.0T, 6-speed manual.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
PlaneCrazy said:
Not a bad idea but it only works if you buy the base models. You can load 'em up to about the same price as an A5-platform Gol...er...Rabbit which comes with a pile of standard equipment that is optional on the City models. Now what would YOU rather have, a rehashed A4 Golf or Jetta, or a brand new Gol...er...Rabbit? I know I'd prefer the A5, although for the life of me I can't figure out why VW didn't select the 2.0 FSI (non-Turbo) as it's base gasser in the A5. Same HP as the 2.5 but more fuel efficient.

As for me, I'll keep my fingers crossed that in 2008 we'll get decent TDI Rabbits, Jettas, and especially, Passats. If not, then one of my current rides will be replaced, somewhere around '08/'09, with a B6 Passat wagon, 2.0T, 6-speed manual.
i definatly agree about the engine choice VW made. But i guess it had to do with certifcations.
Why do they (VW) even use the 2.5 gasser? not alot of HP for what it is (Lambo head)? Does it have good torque? Now the 2.5tdi for the Passat, that would be good!!!

Last edited:

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
Here's my question. Why get a MkIV City Golf when you can get a MkV Rabbit for $90 more and get way more standard features?? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Pelican18TQA4 said:
Here's my question. Why get a MkIV City Golf when you can get a MkV Rabbit for $90 more and get way more standard features?? This doesn't make any sense to me.

You need to do a little CAN$ to US$ converstion. prices are quoted in Can dollars

NVanTDI

TDI
Passat TDI, 2005
What a shame!
I was hoping to see the VW Fox brought in, I saw one in a UK dealer and it seemed quite useful.
That would give them a new shape to meet the Fit, Yaris, Versa with rather than an old model reworked.
Still at least they do have something in this segment of the market.

Last edited:

nawlej

TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2004, Indigo Blue
Drivbiwire said:
[yawn]

Leftovers from A4 production...

DB
That's exactly what it seems like :rolleyes:

Frankly, while I'm glad to see Golf get into the lower price segment, I think it makes the model lineup a bit confusing with "City Golfs" that look like regular Golfs that were replaced by the Rabbit ...

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
VW Fox

I sent an e-mail to VWoA a while back asking if and when they were going to bring the Lupo/Fox to North America. I specifically asked about the Diesel versions that are available in Europe. Their response was basically, "keep dreaming". Maybe if VW sees the market for a small car here in North America it will jump on the bandwagon. But I am not holding my breath. Even if they did bring them here the chances of seeing any diesel offerings are pretty slim.

nawlej

TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2004, Indigo Blue
All of Us said:
Even if they did bring them here the chances of seeing any diesel offerings are pretty slim.
At least until 2008 ... then things might be different.

HeAvYfUeL

Veteran Member
TDI
2009, Golf Variant, DSG
drwho said:
Funny they would bring back an older model. Strange enough in Nigeria, they still make the Peugeot 504 there and I think the 505 is offered as well.
You should have a look at volkswagen south africa if you like old VW models.:D

DRbillZ

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, Jetta, one totaled Passat....RIP.
And just how many cities are there in Canada? :p

If it is a "city version" I'd think a theft-deterrent system would be standard on all of them................

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
This kinda has me pissed off right now.

I wonder what the resale will be on our 2002 2.o GLS. I suspect it will drop even more now.

Soups

TDI
Jetta 2003 TDI
I to am pissed with this hole City-Golf/Jetta idea. Manufacturing a lower cost european car, just brings vw to a north american class level. Now you can buy a vw for the price of a Ford. WHAT ABOUT ALL OTHER VW CAR OWNERS, MK4 owners be properd to see your car drop to the price of a ford pinto!!!:mad:

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Well, you can't expect VW to be working overtime to offer the best and newest stuff only in Canada. What is the market for new cars there? Maybe a little over one million a year? Sorry, you have to take the leftovers if you don't have a huge market that is worth developing for.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I am a fan of the A2 body Jetta as I have 2 of them with diesel drivetrains . A Polo or Fox TDI would be in the same class as my old A2 Jetta diesels .

The A4 is at the outside range size wise of what I would consider buying . The A5 is too big , in the same class as my 97 Passat TDI . I dought if I would ever buy an A5 Jetta just too big for me .

I talked to VWAG last week about bringing these cars to the US market and this is what I was told .

"While we at VW would like to sell a smaller entry level TDI powered car in the US & Canada , VW claims the cost of certifying a Polo or Fox wouldn't be worth the cost ." That has been their claim for the last 10 years . I was told there was a change of the US getting the Jetta city later in the year , but no chance of the city Golf making it to US showrooms .

The person I talked to alSo said that the A4 city cars were a short cut , a cheaper way to that end a cheaper way to reintroduce a smaller body car to the Canadain VW line up . The A4 Jetta & Golf city are the easiest way to give Canada a smaller entry level car . VW feels that Canada is more of a fuel efficiency & smaller car accepting society than the US .

So since the A4 is already completely certified in the US & Canada it can sort of fill the requests for a cheaper smaller entry level vehicle . Now if VW would only sell the A4 here in the US along with a lower power higher mpg TDI engine :D .

If VW sticks with the A5 as their main stay auto diesel in the US market they will loose many customers like me that really want a lower priced smaller higher mpg car .

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Personally I think this is just a bone thrown to Canadian VW dealers. With the lack of TDIs to sell in 2007, Canadian dealers, for whom up to 50% of sales were TDIs, were cryin' the blues (my favourite sales dude at my dealership, a guy who was in tune with VWs, knew his product inside-out and was always an accurate source of inside VW info, and had been selling them for years, resigned recently). I figure, that they figure if they lose sales in the fuel efficient category, maybe they'll gain a few in the cheap category.

Problem is, it isn't the same market. Lots of premium content Jetta TDIs were/are (for now) being sold to people who do high mileage but still want a decent car. People like me. I have exactly zero interest in a 2007 Mk IV. Even if I was buying a cheap car for a college kid (not that I'd ever buy my kids a new car), I'd be more inclined to get them a fresh modern design like the Honda Fit. On top of that the sales commission on a $15k Golf City ain't the same as on a $30k Jetta TDI! They're going to have to sell TONS of these to make up the loss of TDI revenues.

Fortunately VW still has a product that interests me: the Passat 2.0T wagon is rated at 6.7 L/100 km on the highway with 6-speed manual and is a hugely practical family hauler. With premium unleaded and diesel fuel running neck and neck in price, and my monstrous commute now cut back to 1-2 days/week, the operating costs will still be reasonable for me, for such a large gasser (about 1.0 L/100 km more than with my current B5.5 Passat...but I still think the B5.5 is a better looking car).

Hopefully by 2008 there will be a TDI version of this car, or at least a TDI version of the Jetta wagon. But if not the Passat Variant is next on my list (with our Jetta wagon being the likely trade-in material).