www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 13th, 2018, 11:45   #241
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Read the settlement. The states are specifically prohibited from making the modification a requirement for registration. The only people saying otherwise have been basing it on FUD.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 22:24   #242
texsize

Fuel Economy: jetta 2013 42MPG avg.

Just got my fill up.
45.7 MPG.
cool beans.

Jetta

Last edited by texsize; June 25th, 2018 at 15:42.
texsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 08:29   #243
the_janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCAutoparts View Post
Houston!! We have a problem. Check engine light came on yesterday while driving home. Dropped it off at Volkswagen this morning. My service advisor just called and said that the DPF, EGR Filter, and the NoX Cat will need to be replaced again under warranty Keep in mind that EGR Filter and NoX Cat was replaced under the Emissions Recall back in August 2017! NOT GOOD! It didn't even make it a year.
I'm pretty ****ing pissed! Not only will it take up to 10 day's to get the parts from Germany it's going to be a 2 day job.
This is ****ing ridiculous!!!
Summary of my Journey with my 2010 Jetta TDI
DPF replaced at 81,881 ( Warranty )
Injector Plates, Covers, and Seals replaced at 100,185 ( Warranty )
Exhaust Flap replaced, DPF, EGR Filter replaced at 119,994 ( Warranty )
Emissions Modification Software update NoX, EGR Filter, Exhaust Flap, and Rear 02 Sensor replaced at 131, 330 ( Warranty )
At this point I'm just dumbfounded! The Jetta now has 146,000 miles and although it does have an extended warranty it looks as if I will be looking for a new replacement. It will be sad to see it go, but I just can't continue down this path. I hope I'm not giving everyone a sour taste in their mouth but just wanted to give my feedback on the Emissions modification and my current experience.
Didn't know these post emissions fix warranty parts are being shipped from Germany. Took my car in last Wednesday (4 business days ago including today) and was told I'll be getting the DPF replaced. Still haven't heard back from the dealer. Anyone else have to wait more than a week for your parts to arrive?
the_janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2018, 20:08   #244
gmcjetpilot
Veteran Member

I feel like it is doing a more short Re-Gens... I have digital OBDII monitor and see EGT's, water temp, boost, .... It is definitely doing more Re-gens, but it seems for shorter period.

Before it would Re-gen once every tank (about 600-650 miles) and take significant time, say 10 minutes more before Re-gen finished. Now I see EGT spike and then go down in a few minutes. It repeats even in the same day or next day.

gmcjetpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 03:56   #245
jmat

The fix screwed my Jetta Up.

Pre 45 MPG avg.
Post 36 MPG avg.

Plus , all kinds of CEL codes.
jmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 07:13   #246
texsize

Fuel Economy: jetta 2013 42MPG avg.

That’s a big difference. I haven’t checked the MPG with the changed ECU but for drive ability I noticed it tended to surge more often. Probably due to more regenerations.
texsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2018, 11:58   #247
jbright
Veteran Member

I had the fix done in September. A few days after the fix I got a CEL and they had to replace a clogged heatercore. It cost me $1100. VW would not pay for it. Last week I got another CEL and it was the heatercore again. This time VW paid for it. I'm wondering if this will become a recurring issue. I'm getting 2-3 mpg less per gallon than before the fix. No other noticeable differences except more frequent regens.
jbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 07:11   #248
herbz

Had ours done a week ago.

No noticeable difference in performance other than it seems to hold 1st gear a little longer when taking off from a stop.

Filled it up right after and so far I've got the same number of miles on the tank at the same level as before the fix.
Old July 14th, 2018, 10:01   #249
cinbearcat

I sold back a 2010 JSW TDI 6 speed manual back to VW (~190K Mile) and bought another one from a dealer with 80K miles. My "new" one has the emissions mod. The cars are identical (with exception of no sunroof on the new one). My old 2010 averaged 41 mpg. My new one is averaging 36.4 mpg. Driving conditions are the same mix of highway and city. The new mpg seems a little low to me. I was expecting about 3 mpg less based on research that I did. What are others experiencing? (I calculate my mpg manually at each fill up)
cinbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2018, 22:45   #250
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Cars are mass manufactured but they vary. Alignment, tire inflation, tire model, engine break in, minor engine problems, missing under car aero can all make a difference. So you might want to check the basics as well.
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2018, 18:18   #251
cinbearcat

Individual vehicles can differ. I actually swapped the wheels and tires from my previous JSW.
cinbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2018, 02:30   #252
ksing44
Veteran Member

Realized I should have put this here instead of in a new thread.

I have 161,000 miles and had the fix ~8000 miles ago, I got a check engine light and a P2002 code and the dealer says I have a clogged DPF. It's covered under warranty! But I think it's interesting and wanted to share with all of you.

The service writer indicated he typically sees this on the TDI cars between 150K and 200K miles. Glad I got the fix and the warranty before this happened! I changed to a mostly shorter commute the last couple of years and suspect that may have contributed.

I didn't run a scan of my own yet, but I did one at Mile:122,947 and I had Oil Ash Volume: 120 ml. So I suspect I'm around 160 ml, maybe a bit more, considering my shorter commutes this last couple of years.

One more note, the check engine light went off just before I went to the dealer. The code was stored, so the dealer still had the information and I could see it on my P3Cars gauge. I cleared the fault twice in the past, because I was away on vacation and hated looking at the check engine light. When it came on again at home, I scheduled the appointment at the dealer. Then, on Sunday before my appointment on Monday, the light went off on it's own.
2010 Golf TDI - Blue (BGM), 4-Dr, 6-M, Sunroof, Xenon, Dynaudio, Nav (RNS-510), Euro light switch, 9W7 BT, R Tinted LED Tail Lights, Monte Carlo 17" x 7.5" ET47 Wheels, 235/45/17 Tires, P3Cars Digital Interface, Sonniboy sunshades, CP3 HPFP - 11/8/2016 @ 139,848 miles, The Fix - 9/27/17 @153,289 miles

Flickr slideshow
ksing44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 12:45   #253
vfrn1

TDI(s): 2010 Jetta

I took my 2010 manual in for the repair around 72,000 miles. Around town I've noticed a little loss in power but didn't think much about it. I've only had two fills since the fix (both city driving) and I have lost between 6-8 mpg.

What's more concerning is the performance. I'm in the middle of a trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff (1500ft to 7000ft). On the drive up while going up the mountain passes I had the car floored and unable to maintain my speed if the RPMs dropped below ~2000. Before the "fix", the mountains didn't affect the car at all. I felt like I was driving an under powered gas engine not a turbo charged DIESEL!

I can't comment on the MPG from this trip yet but I plan to call the dealer and see how the "you broke my car" conversation goes when I get home. Based upon all that I had read on here and the VW brochures before deciding to get the fix, I expected to only loose a couple MPG and hardly notice a change in performance. It seems like I'm one of the unlucky ones.

Has anyone had a similar experience and has the dealer been able to "fix" anything?
vfrn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 15:49   #254
forrest resto`s
Veteran Member

I had my 2011 jetta with nav. sunroof, kessy.. blah blah 60,000 miles fixed about 6 months ago..no noticeable loss of power.. actually seems a little better...(really has GREAT pick-up/torque).but I believe I did lose 3-4 mpg's.. regen. does NOT seem more frequent..still love my car.. (compared to the other 2 I own.. fixed 2015 and 2013, wife's and daughters) they seem to do alot more regens than mine..but mpg's seem still great...more on the 2015 though...am curious about people with more problems after fix though and any resolves from dealer...my 11 is a salvage title...knowing i will NEVER recover when or if I sell it.. just love it.. BUT I put in a complete 2015 jetta gli interior..power heated seats seats, the seats are the ones with the red trim and faux carbon fiber trim..wonderful.. and really snug your body..and the flat bottom st. wheel with the red trim also..just great! ONLY thing I wish I had is the mfd (information display) that are in the newer ones..I like that! If all goes well during the emissions warranty when it ends...Tune here I come!!.. also have a 2001 jetta with a RC2 tune..boy! That rocks!!

Last edited by forrest resto`s; July 25th, 2018 at 16:15.
forrest resto`s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 20:34   #255
foggedz

Im am planning to get my car fixed in mid Aug. I happen to have a spare ECU for the car. Has anyone just swapped in a un fixed tuned ECU and brought the car back to its "pre fix" performace/economy?

Would the dealer be able to tell if this was done down the line, if I just put the fixed ECU back in the car if for any reason it had to go to the dealer?