oil for a freshly rebuilt motor

jake8racn43

TDI
98 jetta tdi blue
i am about done rebuilding my tdi and it brought me to a new ?
What oil should i run in the car for the break in period and how long till i should change it?
i have found only 2 5w-40 oils
1- Rotella Full synthetic
2- casteral synthetic
I have always been told to never run synthetic oil in a fresh motor so what do i do?:confused:
P.S. i have searched this and i didnt find much on this subject most of wht i found was for new cars not rebuilt motors.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
idparts.com and boraparts.com both have 5W40 oils that meet 505.00 and 505.01 spec oil.

Tony

AndrewM

TDI
96 Passat TDI, 97 Chevy Centurian
On my previous motors (non diesel), I've done oil changes after the 30-minute cam break in session (only done on a new cams, where you keep the motor between 2500-3000 rpm). Change. Then drive 100 miles at varying loads to break and seat rings properly. Don't go above about 70% rpm. Change. 300 miles driving, trying to keep load variation, no vacuum deceleraitons, etc. Change. Then another 500 the same way. After that, motor is broken in and you're fine to do whatever.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
I went through this oil issue last spring when I rebuilt my AHU.
In the end I went with the Shell Rotella "T" 5-W40 CJ-4+ synthetic.

Jake,
Wasn't that intermediate shaft inner bearing fun to replace ;)

Last edited:

SD26

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 5sp, 2002 Jetta TDI 5sp
And don't forget that Shell Rotella T Synthetic is a Group III oil. It's not actually a synthetic, but it is a "synthetic" based upon a marketing lawsuit from many years ago.

teeth

TDI
1997 Passat
jake8racn43 said:
thanks guys for the advice i will probly use rotella t
Been using rotella T for a year, no probs. I think the synthetic is in the blue bottle.