Ball Joints

bdangr

TDI
2002 Jetta
Does anybody know if MOOG or TRW Ball Joints have grease fitting for a 2002
Jetta TDI? My Ball Joints seem fine, but I noticed that the VW replacements do not have grease fittings.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I just replaced both my ball joints, go figure the aftermarket ones didn't have grease nipples..

I was really close to drilling/tapping my own.. I guess manufacturers hate making something that will last the life of the car :)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
One real problem with zerks on ball joints (and other suspension joints) is that it only takes a second for a lube monkey with an air powered grease gun to blow the seal off the joint by squirting too much grease in there. So dirt gets in the failed seal and wears out the joint, or at the very least you get a mess at the joint.

Or, you might have a guy who never bothers to clean the zerk before squirting in the grease, thereby blowing in dirt with the grease.

So, if manufacturers make better seals and refuse to allow maintenance and plan for a 100,000 mile lifetime, it will usually work out. What they don't plan for is an anal retentive maintenance nut to drive a car for 500k miles. That bird is just too minscule a portion of the market they are trying to serve.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I don't know about the ball joints, but they do have grease zerks on the tie rod for Nissan Pick-ups when the OEMs don't have them. Much heavier tie rods also. I would hope this follows true to their other products. If you want to call them, their phone # is 716-805-8100 or 716-652-2000. They should be able to tell you. They do put out a excellent product!

Update: I cannot find Moog ball joints to fit our later model VWs with the little web research I have done. You should be able to check out a Moog Catalog in a parts store. The catalog would tell you the info you want. Many Moog ball joints have the grease zerks.

Last edited: