2000 jetta tdi trans rebuild

bookem34

TDI
2000 jetta
I am preparing to rebuild my transmission and was tryig to see what if any special tools I may need. If anyone has information on what I may need to complete this job it would be great to hear from you.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need:

An 02J transmission

shifter box and cables

clutch pedal and hydraulics

clutch/flywheel

power steering line

couple bits of wire

scan tool for telling the engine controller it is now bolted to a proper gearbox

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
You need:

An 02J transmission

shifter box and cables

clutch pedal and hydraulics

clutch/flywheel

power steering line

couple bits of wire

scan tool for telling the engine controller it is now bolted to a proper gearbox
I think he's asking about rebuilding his auto, not converting to manual.

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, and I was trying to help him save the headache and get the car back on the road permanently. ;)

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Bookem:

Although it may seem that OilHammer's reply was too sarcastic for an accurate description, it was, in fact, both the most hilarious reply to a question on the forum in far too long a time and quite accurate as well.

However, in order not to add too much insult to injury, you can do some self-study and maybe you'll be helped by information here. To wit: look up posts by CoolAirVW and read up on what he has to say about the 01M slushbox. The most obvious special tool you will want is a Ross-tech VCDS dongle so that you can get real answers from your car's computer. Other aftermarket devices will not get you the information you really need for this job.

Good luck (you will need it),

PH

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, don't take offense at the hammer's comments, they're meant as best advice.
And do contact CoolAirVW, he can be very helpful.

oilhammer

TDI
Hey, with an 01M all you really need is one good thumb on the side of the road!

OK, in all seriousness, the context of the question has a lot to do with the possible answer. Rebuilding that transmission can be costly to do correctly, and in many cases ends up becoming a larger pain than originally anticipated, because the cost of the parts to really do a proper rebuild approach the cost of a replacement transmission (of which, I still know that number by heart: 01M-300-032-GX).

However, I would be wanting to know what the diagnosis is, specifically, that lead to asking the question. Because a lot of the 01M's problems (of which there are many) can be fixed easily with the unit in the car if it is due to a control side problem... and a lot of transmission problems are not even related to the transmission, but people think they are.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
For the overwhelming most part, folks who do rebuilds for a living can't even rebuild these things correctly. For a novice this really isn't something that one should attempt. What is the state of the pump? Torque converter? And so on and so on... Spend a lot of time and energy and find that you're not cut out for rebuilding these transmissions?

THAT is why Brian gave the response he did. If one is expecting certainty then ONLY a manual swap is going to provide that. That stated, I have commissioned work on an 01m; this was only because the driver is unable to drive a manual (and she drives in city traffic, an environment that I'd be opting for an automatic- no MKIV for me there); car was purchased to do the swap but the plans went sideways on me and I'm stuck living in perpetual fear of "the call."