diesel smell

stan43

TDI
1998 jetta
Hi Folks

I just bought a '98 Jetta TDI, and signed up today for the tdi club, so forgive me if I'm asking
a question y'all have already discussed, but...

I only have one complaint about my car--there is a definate bad diesely smell in the trunk. I've
checked to see if there are fuel leaks or exhaust leaks that could be causing this, but
can't find anything (the car only has 32k miles, looks like brand new). Is this a common
problem? I don't think I've managed to spill diesel all over when I've filled up, and I took
a whiff at the exhaust pipe (car off) and the odor I'm smelling in the trunk seems to smell
more like exhaust.

Thanks

Stan

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
If the Jetta is similar to the Passat there is an access plate under the trunk carpet. The plate is removed for access to the fuel tank hose connections and for fuel pick up tube and gauge removal. The plate has a foam tape seal around the edge which may be degraded by now. Exhaust fumes from under the car might be drawn in around any gap that might exist.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Stan, if I understand you correctly, you are saying it is a diesel exhaust odor and not raw diesel fuel??

cage

Top Post Dawg
If it is diesel fuel smell it could be the tank vent or tank fill pipe. If the fuel fill pipe is in the trunk that is. You will need to ask a jetta owner.