www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old August 17th, 2014, 13:11   #1
JonLla84
Veteran Member

Default 2014 Passat TDI SEL

Hey gang,

Tomorrow morning Ill be going to negotiate a deal to finance the last 14 on the lot, a black on black Passat TDI premium...

If the sticker is around 33k, do you have any input as to how much they may be willing to knock off the tag to help make the deal happen? ill have about a 3-4k trade in that i want to use AFTER i settle on the price of the car...

I want to mention i bought my last vw from the same dealer so hopefully the loyalty can be used as insentive to drop the cost to around 27 or 28...

Please offer thoughts and advice... Thanks!
JonLla84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 13:26   #2
barshnik
Veteran Member

I doubt they'll drop anywhere near that low (not counting trade in), but no telling. Good luck.
barshnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 13:28   #3
JonLla84
Veteran Member

I went to truecar.com and put in the SEL premium model and albeit it tells you all the costs people paid, it says i could get this model for 28500 right now... Not sure what that means and why... but i printed it out...
Old August 17th, 2014, 15:18   #4
czeetah
Veteran Member

Check out consumer reports car buying page too. And amex.

Both came in cheaper for me than truecar.
czeetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 16:25   #5
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Those lower prices don't help much if there aren't any other cars in the region. Check out what else is out there before you start negotiating.
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 17:31   #6
Sinner
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

I agree with all what it's been said here. Check who has a similar car around, leave the lot if they don't go your price, go late in the day and late in the week, check all those good websites...

Good luck!
2002 Jetta TDI, 5sp, shiny black w/tan inside, 50K miles. I loved it. Now ex-wife loves it.
Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 18:13   #7
dzcad90
Rolex & gin

Are you using VW's financing?

I went and looked at Special Offers at VW.com and put in a zip code for Miami since you are listed as south Florida, which should be close enough.

Offers are 0% APR and $1K Mastercard. I didn't see it in the fine print, but USUALLY, you can get an additional $1K/$1.5K off of the price of the vehicle if you don't use VW's financing. However, 0% is pretty tough to beat if you've got a 700 (Or close to it) score.

So, with that in mind, you should be able to get the price of the car down a bit, probably looking between $30-31K, and POSSIBLY an additional $1K off of that price if you don't use VW's financing.

The $1K Mastercard is completely out of the deal. Do not let the dealer sucker you in to thinking that "That's why we can't go any lower on the price of the car" type of BS. That's a rebate from VW directly to you after the fact, no matter what you pay for the car.

Invoice price on a 2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium with no options is $32,570. If I could get the price of the car anything less than $31K with 0% and the $1K Mastercard, I'd feel I got a good deal. If you bring your own financing, I'd look for a price closer to or slightly under $30K with the Mastercard.
'09 Jetta TDI Sedan - Sold!
'14 Passat TDI SEL - Blue / Black Leather

VCDS Available in Chicagoland - trbodsl@gmail.com
dzcad90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 19:52   #8
czeetah
Veteran Member

I'd get n print certificate from truecar and you will get a call from dealer (probably) after printing cert. Ask them you need email showing price after tax, doc fee, tags, title (out the door) itemized.

See if they send you a price based on 28.5 cert cost, then go get it. Do not let them talk you into fabric protectors, door guards, nut protectors, magic paint shields, etc.

You can research and buy a VW easy drive extended warranty later.

A 2015 will have about $1500 more in value if sold in 3-5 years. So $1000 off invoice is a money loser. 1500 off and you could wait get a 2015 the colors you want and the new engine. $2000 or more okay if you don't have a thing for the ea288 engine. $2500 and up ... Getting tasty.

Given 15 Passat is to much of USA the same old car as 12/13/14 they ain't gonna be flying off shelves and other than maybe the first batch that hits the lot they will be bring sold cheap soon enough. Disclaimer I do not have a crystal ball.

28.5/29 sounds about right.

Last edited by czeetah; August 17th, 2014 at 19:59.
Old August 17th, 2014, 20:02   #9
czeetah
Veteran Member

Also don't go in to negotiate. Once you're there they will dick you around.

Call talk to sales person after you've printed cert. Get email with their price quote go in and expect to pay that if not walk and oh well wasn't meant to be.
Old August 17th, 2014, 23:58   #10
BKmetz
Administrator, Member #10

Fuel Economy: 50 MPG

Everything dzcad90 and czeetah said. As I bought two Passats within 6 months a lot of this is still fresh.

This is a three part deal: the discount off MSRP, the trade in value (not part of any discount off MSRP), and financing (not part of any discount off MSRP). In that order. The gift card is an after-deal extra from VW. The sales shark will try to blend in all three parts of the deal and the gift card to inflate the deal.

After you agree to the final price the financing shark will try you for all those annoying extras: extended warranty, paint protection, fabric protection, loan insurance, gap insurance, etc. I find dealing with the financing shark the most annoying part of buying a car.

Fees: Some are not negotiable as sales tax (state laws vary about how sales tax is calculated when trading in a car), destination fee, title, tags, etc. There will be extras fees as floor planning, advertising, etc that might be negotiable.

In your favor: the 2015s will be out very soon if not already. Everybody knows dealers hate left over models. Play a better deal off a 2014 vs a 2015. Tell them you are willing to wait to see a 2015. Play the available colors & options vs exactly what you want. No matter whats on the lot, it's not quite what you want. Play them for a dealer trade or buying at another dealer. I used both tactics and they cut to the chase faster in lowering their offers.

Be prepared to say you need a better deal and walk out the door. It's a buyers market and there is ALWAYS another car for sale somewhere.

How it usually works, after the deal is made the sales tax and fees push the price of the car almost back up to the MSRP excluding your trade in value and any cash you add.

Good luck.

Brian, 2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT
Kathy, 2014 Passat SE 2.5
Chris, 2015 Passat SEL TDI

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )

Last edited by BKmetz; August 18th, 2014 at 01:03. Reason: added info
BKmetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 05:50   #11
jhinsc
Veteran Member

I only have one dealer where I live so I used truecar to find the "local" price, which wasn't even at my dealer. Then I used other major city's zipcodes within driving distance to get their pricing and found the lowest price within 3.5 - 4 hour drive. I used that price, plus an email confirm to get my local dealer to match. After the initial test drive, all my other contact with my salesman was via text or email - no need to waste time at the dealer. I kept it very low key. For a TDI SEL Premium, you should be able to negotiate (without a trade) a price below $30k incl dealer handling/prep, but before tax and dmv. Then throw in your trade, but you'll only get actual wholesale value. You might be better off to sell your trade-in yourself.
jhinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 06:00   #12
JonLla84
Veteran Member

Even if all I get is 3k for my trade in, id do it to save myself the time and stress of trying to sell privately...
Old August 18th, 2014, 10:51   #13
jrm
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42/52

id hold steady on 28k as your doing them a favor- everyone knows the 2015's will be flooding the lots in a week
If you can afford a 2015 you may want to hold off, the EA288 should be pretty darn sweet
2009 Highlander Hybrid aka the HIHY 25MPG
1996 Dodge mechanical Cummins 12V 2500 4x4
jrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 11:28   #14
czeetah
Veteran Member

or riddled with unexpected problems

So 50% of us are holding off for 2015, and 50% of us ran out and got a 2014 with the engine where we can take a guess what will break.
Old August 18th, 2014, 12:07   #15
JonLla84
Veteran Member

Got my SEL for 28k!

415/month. Black on black. Sitting inside and feeling the leather, that sick sound system, wow.

Pics later!