Jetta interior lights flash & interior sound?

LisaKiv

TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Drove our Jetta TDI 2000 today. Car was driving fine -- just at seemingly ramdom times the interior light would turn on and the interior sound (the same sound the car makes when you turn ignition on) would come on -- either beeping or just a single tone. I couldn't manually turn the light off till it went out by itself. Can't seem to figure this one out. Doesn't seem to be anything engine related. No warning lights or anything else went on. Could it somehow be related to the remote? I was having a hard time locking it with the remote this morning before all this happened (i.e., I'd push down on lock and it wouldn't lock so I used the manual lock). This light/sound thing would happen for a couple minutes, then go away, then come back . . .
Thanks for any insight. We're pretty rural and don't have immediate dealer access. We're new to TDIs -- this is our first. Love the car -- but this is just plain wierd . . .
Lisa & John
Wisconsin

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It's the switch in one of the doors. Look in the how-tos thread in TDI 101 for the $3 door fix thread.

-J

LisaKiv

TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Thanks so much for your quick reply. As "non-techies" I think we need to bring in some smarter cohorts to help us do this . . . in the meantime, is the car O.K. to drive?

Thanks and happy new year.

Lisa & John