www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old May 16th, 2019, 00:41   #3571
gmenounos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmenounos View Post
Checked the QA<->ECU wires yesterday and all tested good. Also swapped ECUs and it still idles badly and throws a QA code. Today I'm going to try swapping in the QA from a spare pump and see if that fixes it.
Well the new QA didn't help so I went back and retested all the wires from the ECU to the QA and they again all tested good. I noticed that VCDS could not communicate with the ECU when the engine was running, only when it was stopped and the ignition key was in the run position. Researched that and found that someone reported the same issue quite a few years back and it turned out to be a blown fuse. Checked all the fuses. Then tested all the power and ground wires to the ECU. Then checked the Relay 109 wiring. Discovered that the wire that actuates Relay 109 was broken somewhere between the ECU (pin 18) and the relay. Followed the wire and found the issue:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YqTWPS3aASRw7Dr16

There was no wire in that wire; it had corroded away to nothing. Now normally that wire would have been buried inside a harness but this car is a TDI conversion and Relay 109 is inside the engine compartment rather than on the relay panel. The PO, who performed the conversion, had re-routed that wire outside of the harness so that it could go to the relay box in the engine compartment. I'm not quite sure why the wire broke but maybe the insulation was cracked and it just got rained on for 10 years - the break was just in front of the wiper linkage, which is exposed to the elements, though the break was underneath a layer of electrical tape. I cut out the bad section of wire and spliced the ends together with a waterproof butt connector.

You may be wondering why the car even runs with Relay 109 not functional. Because of the way the PO wired my car during its TDI conversion, some of the components that should get powered from Relay 109, actually get power from some other circuit whenever the ignition key is in the run position. Not ideal, but it works.

I no longer get the "QA Upper Limit Reached" code when I turn the key to the Run position but by the time I figured all this out it was too late at night to run the car. Hopefully it'll run OK tomorrow and I can get the IQ set correctly. I also need to check and maybe adjust the injection timing as I didn't do that after replacing the timing belt a few months ago.
Old May 16th, 2019, 10:08   #3572
mk116v

Fuel Economy: 38

I made my trunk not open anymore by putting my backpack in there and closing it. I guess now I'll have to go spelunking through the back seat, open it and hopefully just have to replace the stupid little plastic piece that supposedly breaks frequently.
mk116v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:15   #3573
CtG

Will it open if you turn the key all the way?
Mine currently is in the same boat, broken plastic- however I can open it with the key- the last bit is just a bit stubborn
Old May 16th, 2019, 15:57   #3574
mk116v

Fuel Economy: 38

I've tried, but nope.
mk116v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 09:47   #3575
sriracha
Veteran Member

Had the new timing belt and auxiliary items installed. This one was a little over my comfort zone so I paid an expert to do the job.
sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 22:18   #3576
kidflyr

Cool

Got to work on installing a PD lift pump on my ALH Golf. Broke the wiper arm puller trying to get the wiper arms off so that I could run power to the pump. Thought I would be clever and see if the mechanical pump on the ALH could draw fuel through the unpowered pump and the Golf started and idled fine so off I went, about two miles down the hill to where the engine quit, and I determined that the mechanical pump could not draw fuel through the unpowered lift pump. I walked home and rigged up a ground wire and means of getting +12v to the lift pump from the accessory socket in the console. Sure beats pushing it home!
kidflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 15:37   #3577
zaeli
Veteran Member

Intermittent turbo code and limp mode, bought a bed extender off eBay, $50 free shipping. $60 at harbor freight. Will use it on the F250 as well. Light lumber, metal roof, Craigslist diesel runs

Last edited by zaeli; May 18th, 2019 at 15:40.
zaeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 16:11   #3578
gmenounos

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmenounos View Post
I no longer get the "QA Upper Limit Reached" code when I turn the key to the Run position but by the time I figured all this out it was too late at night to run the car. Hopefully it'll run OK tomorrow and I can get the IQ set correctly.
Got it all back together, adjusted the IQ and it runs good again.

Tightened up the hand brake. Replaced the small radiator fan. For the past several years, the steering wheel would pulse ever second or so when the AC was running. The new fan has finally made that go away.
Old May 18th, 2019, 22:07   #3579
kidflyr

Found a double-handful of soil which had formed against the snowscreen. Removed the snowscreen and tossed the debris in the yard.
kidflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:08   #3580
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

I tried to figure out what's wrong with the Monsoon radio in my blue Golf, not my daily driver but the weekend car. It powers on, the radio frequency is displayed, but the volume and frequency change dials don't do anything and neither do the up/down buttons. Fuses 37 and 42 are okay. I don't have the radio removal tool kit but Amazon will deliver a kit Monday or Tuesday. It is not in SAFE mode, even though the battery was out of the car for about a month this past winter. Anything I can do when I get the radio out?
'03 Golf with 761k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Pirelli Cinturatos, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 06:19   #3581
DMan1198

TDI(s): 02 VW Jetta

In prepping for my road trip to Iowa next month I finally replaced the partially functional led taillights with some spec d taillights with incandescent bulbs. Finally no more flashing glow plug light, and I can use cruise for the first time in the 35,000+km I’ve put on since I bought it.
DMan1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 18:38   #3582
Cleenlivin
Veteran Member

Had some slight rain and found a leak by driver side footwell coming from above the dead pedal. Having done this before, I went ahead and re-sealed the electrical cover under cowl. I also cleaned out a bucket of leaves and dirt from beneath the cowl and from behind the lower fenders.
Cleenlivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 18:41   #3583
sriracha
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleenlivin View Post
Had some slight rain and found a leak by driver side footwell coming from above the dead pedal. Having done this before, I went ahead and re-sealed the electrical cover under cowl. I also cleaned out a bucket of leaves and dirt from beneath the cowl and from behind the lower fenders.
I noticed my driverís side floormatt was wet after washing my wagon the other day. Could you elaborate more on the leak you have?
sriracha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 18:48   #3584
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
I tried to figure out what's wrong with the Monsoon radio in my blue Golf, not my daily driver but the weekend car. It powers on, the radio frequency is displayed, but the volume and frequency change dials don't do anything and neither do the up/down buttons. Fuses 37 and 42 are okay. I don't have the radio removal tool kit but Amazon will deliver a kit Monday or Tuesday. It is not in SAFE mode, even though the battery was out of the car for about a month this past winter. Anything I can do when I get the radio out?
There is a fuse on the back of mine.
Not sure but I thought it was for power to the amplified antenna.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 00:08   #3585
Cleenlivin
Veteran Member
Default Leak Under Cowl...

If your car has a sunroof it could be clogged drains, if not (at least on my 04) the leak could be from around a plastic cover beneath the drivers side of the plastic cowl. There is a post on the site that covers it as well. There is a plastic covert hat houses electrical connectors that connect wires from under the flood to the passenger compartment. The rubber seal round the plastic box seems to loose its sealing ability over time.

Thereís also a potential leak point where the hood release cable passes through the firewall near the same spot.
Cleenlivin is offline   Reply With Quote