www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 25th, 2015, 14:04   #1
jublybug

Default 1.9 ASV engine troubles

Hello all at tdi
I'm new to the site and am hopeing you can help ,I have a Skoda Octavia eligance estate . I got the car as a cheep tow car to tow our caravan to tour the uk But . Its got a strange fault ,it starts fine hot or cold has plenty power runs smooth alls well, but if you rev the engine cold it cuts out dead ,on trying to restart it spins over almost as no compression then starts to fire on one then two three cylinders smokeing althe time once running its very shaky but clears and runs smooth again the smoke clears once its running if switched off it will start fine . If you start the car and let it sit so the temperature rises a little its ok ,also once its cut out if you leave it for a wile (I left it hour or so) it will start as nothings wrong. . I've code read the ecu and cured the faults that whetestored but now am geting no codes .

I've changed so far
vacume pipes for turbo (vnt)
Coolent temp sensor
Imobiliser modified wireing
MAF sensor
Air filter
Fuel filter
Removed flap valve in tank pick up
Injection pump pressure regulator valve(repressed retaining clip)
And re set timeing with vcds
the cars had a cambelt before I got it ,I'm going to recheck this next week with the pin kit just to make sure its spot on . Any ideas? I'm thinking now its in The pump or ecu ? I'm wateing for a copy of vcds to arive to get some data
I've also got the Egr disconected and asv is working as it should all cleaned out aswell.

Sorry for The essay and thanks for reading this far Jim

Last edited by jublybug; April 25th, 2015 at 14:08.
jublybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 18:09   #2
Seatman
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: No idea

Hmmm, maybe next time try cracking open the injector pipes on the tops of the injectors then cranking, see if fuel is coming out or not. It sounds like it runs out of fuel then when you're cranking it eventually reprimes itself and gets going. It's possible there's a tiny leak in the fuel system somewhere and it's allowing the fuel to run back to the tank then when you let it sit for a bit it's gradually refilling things up.
Seatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2015, 01:21   #3
jublybug

It starts every time . If left to warm itl run ok its only if you rev it from cold ,theres plenty fuel as if you try to restart once its cut out it smokes loads of un burnt fuel .i could drive round it (leting it warm a bit before a trip) but the misses will forget and Il get it in the neck,apart from this its a great car .

Jim, anything else stand out ,has anyone had the pump apart to give me some pointers?
Old April 27th, 2015, 19:38   #4
Seatman
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jublybug View Post
It starts every time . If left to warm itl run ok its only if you rev it from cold ,theres plenty fuel as if you try to restart once its cut out it smokes loads of un burnt fuel .i could drive round it (leting it warm a bit before a trip) but the misses will forget and Il get it in the neck,apart from this its a great car .

Jim, anything else stand out ,has anyone had the pump apart to give me some pointers?
Maybe a sticking vnt mech in the turbo, if it's not been cleaned yet then even more likely
Old April 29th, 2015, 10:30   #5
jublybug

No boost related codes ,owner before me did Mr muscle clean of vnt mech . Has anyone heard of oil pressure relief valve sticking causing to much pressure holding valves partly open?

Jim
Old April 29th, 2015, 18:37   #6
Seatman
Veteran Member

No and you wont necessarily get any boost codes, also the mr muscle doesn't really get to the problem area, helps short term but doesn't fix the issue. Been there, done that, got the pics to prove it lol.

Never heard of the oil pressure one myself on any vag forum, only time I've seen any oil pressure issues is with the 3 pot they used in the skoda yeti, pump fails and ruins the engine. Skoda cover 60% of the repair bill even though they're a 100% at fault.
Old April 30th, 2015, 10:14   #7
jublybug

Ok so why would it only happen when cold? Slightest bit of temp in the engine and its ok . I'm going to flush and dump oil tomorrow anyways see if it helps.

Jim
Old April 30th, 2015, 16:50   #8
Seatman
Veteran Member

Gooey, oily, sooty gunge that maybe loosens up a little with heat. Not a 100% sure but a sticky vnt is a common issue. I'm watching a thread on another forum with a guy with the same engine and same issue. He's about to pull the turbo and clean it so we'll see if that cures his.
Old May 1st, 2015, 06:45   #9
cypher007

got the same engine in 2 cars. had the same issue in both. I had it do it the other week when it was cold. accelerated then boom no power engine dead. wait then start loads of smoke.

my thinking is maybe a sticking pressure relief valve in the injector pump. apparently these can play up. I think it over fuels the engine which floods then takes a while to evaporate the fuel in the cylinders before it will start.

having said that it does behave like all the valves are stuck open.
cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 06:51   #10
cypher007

actually heres the thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ight=cypher007

seems a sticking timing piston in the pump.
cypher007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 12:41   #11
jublybug

I think I'm geting valve jack due to the oil pressure .where is the relief valve ? In oil pump or filter houseing? I've flushed oil and replaced with right speck stuff but was to warm to try .

Jim
Old May 16th, 2019, 00:27   #12
jublybug

Talk about dragging an old thread from the dead .

Ok so sorry for the long long over due update . I never quite got to the bottom of the issue . But now after much towing and use in rebuilding after a head gasket failure. Head rebuild ,new turbo so wile I'm in there I'm looking for the oil issue . Ive had the filter housing off and removed the ( non serviceable) oil pressure relief valve . There slight signs of wear but not sticking or damages or crud stuck in there as I was hopeing . So onward to the sump it seems . Question is is there a anyone that knows is the bypass valve in the oil pump removable or is its sealed in the pump? Ive come this far so its coming out anyway . Will post updated in a day or so

Jim
Old May 21st, 2019, 23:36   #13
jublybug

Ok so yesterday I found what looks like striped threads (half aluminum coils) in the oil pickup ,some in the mesh going through so .oil pump off next to investigate further .

Jim
Old May 22nd, 2019, 12:19   #14
jublybug

Ok so pump off tonight .striped ,inspected and cleaned no signs of wear there is the odd scratch and what looked like pin marks as if something's maby gone through it . But I'm happy it turns free and has plenty service life so I've reassembled it oiled it and spun it by hand and it pumped oil in seconds. So next I think I'm into checking oil galleries also I'm going to remove the oil cooler under the filter housing incase anything ended up in there.

Jim