SPEC Clutch Group Buy

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
I think SPEC stepped on a hornet's nest when they gave us pricing without first talking with their distributors. Then they probably would have been smarter to just work the GB direct - I don't think Jason at ND even knew TDIClub.com existed before I talked with him!

MCA

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
That's just sad, I am sorry you got caught up in the crossfire. So, the bottom line is that we saw what could be done, then, it is taken away once they realized that someone would be unhappy? I guess there is always the VR6 clutch for me. At $170 for a package I guess I should not complain. Just thought I would try something better.

BEC

SLPRTDI

TDI
Jetta 99.5 Met Green
I think its a shame that SPEC wont do us a deal.
The profit margin is not that tight for them to do this discount, and if it is then they should cut the loss and call it cheap advertising.
I hope it still comes thru.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Hey MCA... Color me thick but... What's the exact nature of the 'rub'?

The distributors complaining about being undercut?
Person who authorized the sale got overridden by superiors?
Do you even have the 'real' story...?

Just wondering...

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
FlyTDI Guy said:
Hey MCA... Color me thick but... What's the exact nature of the 'rub'?

The distributors complaining about being undercut?
Person who authorized the sale got overridden by superiors?
Do you even have the 'real' story...?

Just wondering...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing it's one or more of those things - I don't have the full story - not having sat in on the calls between SPEC and ND.

Regarding the "cheap advertising" thing - that's how I was hoping they would see it too.

MCA

eicke

Veteran Member
When this GB came aboout I was still on the fence whether I should install a VR6 clutch or Spec. /images/graemlins/confused.gif I committed myself to Spec, so I remained supportive of this buy. As this "fell" apart, it made my descision a little easier. Kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Spec. /images/graemlins/mad.gif They should make good on their word and offer what was promised. Thank God there are alternatives to these clutches. And no worry whether it's a Sachs or Luk? VR6, here I come!

Ron

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
Tough luck on the GB.

I'll put in an unsolicited plug for an alternative source for OEM replacement clutches.

www.carolinaclutch.com
888-462-2739

my contact there was Tom, and he found me a clutch for my upcoming 6-speed conversion when no one else could (including www.dial-a-clutch.com). Basically he knew people at LUK and got them to build a 240mm kit for me. Price was $232, less than half the best price I could find.

He says he'll match or beat any price. Great price, great service for me at least.

Might be worth contacting them to see if one of their suppliers would build a run of custom setups for a group buy. They use Exedy for performance clutches, but all I see is Japanese applications....

WolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
[ QUOTE ]
andrewc said:
Tough luck on the GB.

I'll put in an unsolicited plug for an alternative source for OEM replacement clutches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the GB is still in the making. I belive we are just waiting on pricing. If MCA can get us ANY discount, he has provided a valuable service.

As for OEM-hahahaha. Nothing is wrong with my OEM clutch. It would be fine if I only had 155 lb/ft of torque! Spec still looks like the best option to me, unless you can show me an alternative that retains the DMF and offers 389 lb/ft of clamp.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Still workin' it! Details real soon - watch this space or your PM box for the final details in a day or so. It's tough doing these things from a hemisphere away you know!

MCA

eicke

Veteran Member
MCA,
Again, I really appreciate your efforts. My purchase date for the clutch(VR6)....(unless the GB is still on)....is tentatively after the Holidays anyways. So please DO NOT count me out of your Spec Group Buy! Just was a little disappointed in Spec as this thread recently didn't sound to positive.

Again, I'M STILL IN, DAMN IT!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Thanks for that lead in to the next thing I wanted to say! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyone who wants to purchase a SPEC clutch that has a car that is around the break from LUK to SPEC (the SV49 to SV49-2) be aware that if you are not 1000% sure which one you have to allow time to potentially have your car out of service for the time it takes to exchange for the correct kit! If you are planning on having SPEC resurface your flywheel this would be a non-issue.

If you showed any interest in the GB check your PM inbox.

MCA - the spammer tonight

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Just a side note, once I'm ready to do mine, I'll have a spare flywheel with around 100k on it. Not sure if it can be resurfaced, but.....

hl649

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS Black
I am not trying to hijack this thread but...

If SPEC does not reimburse me for labour costs, I will have the original clutch they sent me (a SPEC Stage 1 replacement for a LUK clutch) for sale. It will not be for sale until the issue with SPEC is settled as I am giving them a really good chance to make it right.

It will be priced very similar to my labour costs so it will be cheap. If you need a clutch, drop me a note and I will keep you in mind.

HL

tdins

TDI
golf gl 02 black
I have received very good customer service from SPEC.
Yes I got the wrong kit the first time. However it was my fault I did not read the flywheel before ordering. Upon hearing that I received the wrong parts they overnighted the new kit to me for delivery the next day. I have no complaints.

Tdins

AtomicSushi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Golf GL
I just want to express my displeasure with New Dimensions for the damage they caused to this group buy. We were set up with a great deal from Spec themselves, then here comes ND, a distributor, with their complaints. I live in Norcal and ND doesn't know squat about TDIs and has never done anything for the TDI community. Why should they care that we are getting a good price? They don't even sell Spec clutches for TDIs, I checked their website.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
yeah, it's a shame the whole deal turned out to be such a mess. It leaves a bad taste for all. It'll end up costing SPEC and ND business on this deal and future dealings. It doesn't make any sense.

Have people looked in to the SACHS PowerClutch? I have driven a modded '03 Jetta that had this setup and it was real nice...nicer and smoother than the OE clutch.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Yep,

I send in the list this afternoon. I gave everyone who expressed interest enough of a chance. Time to move on. There will be an e-mail to the group with the final details this afternoon (or evening if I'm too busy at work /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

If you've been in-the-know and haven't responded, speak now or forever hold your peace.

MCA

eicke

Veteran Member
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Whoo Hoo!!!!! Clutch came today! Anyone for a clutch install GTG? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

eicke

Veteran Member
Nope! I didn't hear from MCA and I knew there was a deadline of the 21st. So, (I)went ahead and ordered it on Tues. Fedex man delivered it on Sat.

Nice looking clutch!(Blue colored clutch clashes with Tornado red though)....."Spec" stickers/decals are worth a few extra ft./lbs. of torque! /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ChiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
I'm jealous.
I ordered and told them to hold delivery until summer. Mistake. I can only dream and go to GTG for a six month penance. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
Way to go MCA !!