SPEC Clutch Group Buy

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Jetta GL, 2002, Galactic Blue - R.I.P.
OK Folks - Here we go!

The SPEC clutch GB is a go. None of their distributors picked up the opportunity to handle the GB so we are working direct.

Pricing will work like this:
10 or more - 18% off SPEC's website pricing.
15 or more - 20% off SPEC's website pricing.

We have a few options to consider.

SPEC will include 4 options for people who want to keep their dual mass flywheel: <ul type="square">
[*]Stage 1 - High clamp pressure plate, woven organic disk, bearings and tool.
[*]Stage 2 - High clamp pressure plate, Kevlar disc, bearings and tool.
[*]Stage 3 - High clamp pressure plate, 6-wing Carbon - semi-metallic disc, bearings and tool. (Stage 3 with the DMF is really the Stage 4 description from SPEC's website)
[*]Hybrid Stage 2-3 (Not listed on the SPEC website) as the name implies, one side of the clutch disc Kevlar, the other the carbon/semi-metallic compound for the holding power similar to the Stage 3/4 and smooth engagement of the stage 2. Pricing will be $15 more than the stage 3 price.
[/list]
SPEC will also include their various stage options for G60/VR6 clutches in the GB.

Please note that you will need to determine whether you have the LUK or Sachs clutch in your car in order to buy the right clutch. Check out the options and list pricing at SPEC's Website.

Submit questions to David Norton of SPEC at sales@specclutch.com.

So far, here's who's in: <ul type="square">
[*]MCA
[*]chudzikb
[*]Karmann-Diesel
[*]mcmassage
[*]Betzel
[*]eicke
[*]oldpoopie
[*]AJS
[*]FlyTDIGuy
[*]faucho
[*]Curious Chris
[*]cdiamond
[*]SLPRTDI
[*]MI_Upsolute (2?!)
[/list]
That's 15 if everyone who expressed intrest (or seemed to be leaning heavily /images/graemlins/wink.gif ) is in once we finalize the deal.

Keep 'em coming folks. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MCA /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Karmann-diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Canyon Red
MCA, Nice work! Please consider me in for a regular stage II clutch kit. Thank you. Vroom! Vroom! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

WolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Hey, thanks a lot! Just when I thought I would pay off my credit cards, you go and find a way for me to spend some more. Just kidding. I don't think I can pass up this opportunity. Count me in for a Stage 2 or 2/3. How long do we have until they are ordered? I need some time to figure out how I'll tell the wife I'm spending more money. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Well, you make 4 (I'm in too - either a stg 3 or hybrid 2/3). When we hit 10 I'd think would be the time.

MCA

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I wonder now long the DMF will last with the power we are are now putting down. My VR6 setup is slipping now? WE need the 240 DMF with the 6 speed to go along with it.

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
...My VR6 setup is slipping now?...

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps looking to a stage 2 or 3 VR6 clutch?? The standard G60/VR6 swap people do uses a stock VR6 right?

MCA

Betzel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I am in; if I can get enough discount I'll go stage II, otherwise stage I should hold me for a long time.

eetsoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, galaxy blue
Seems a little pricey but for no chatter it's almost worth it. Right now my Diesel Geek package shows no signs of slipping @ 70K so it's extremely premature for me to buy one. Thanks for your efforts. When it comes time I will be looking them up!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I'm in. Not sure which version yet though. you may want to post a thread in the power enhancements section just to garner more interest. I know I forget to check the classifieds sometimes......

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
Please do talk it up! As the organizer I don't want to get my hand slapped for posting in the wrong section. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

MCA

ort5

TDI
Golf GL, 2000, Red
I am tempted, but I have a few questions. If the stage 1 can hold 330 ft-lbs, why go higher? I don't know of any TDI engines that are putting out more than 300 or so.

Thanks,
Dave

AJS

TDI
NB, 2002, White
Im in, but I cant find an application for a 2002 TDI Beetle in the website. I assume its Sachs clutch. anybody?
AJ

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
ort5 said:
I am tempted, but I have a few questions. If the stage 1 can hold 330 ft-lbs, why go higher? I don't know of any TDI engines that are putting out more than 300 or so.

Thanks,
Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Clutch envy?? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think that as you approach the rated torque capacity the durability and reliability goes down. Hence the desire to over-clutch the car if you are putting out a lot of torque.

MCA

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I am sorely tempted to prematurely get in on this group buy. If I read the website correctly, a 2001 w/Sachs clutch requires a SV351 kit @ Stage I. Ouch, how come so much more than the Luk, SV491? I need to confirm my clutch type before committing. Have you ordered yet or is there more time? Thx...

eicke... The spec website indicates a cutoff date of 11/2000. I don't know if I'd trust it though.

Gary Miyakawa

Admin Emeritus
TDI
1998 NB TDI
Hey MCA, Good stuff... You might want to post this on VWVortex and NewBeetle.org You might get a few more takers....

Gary M

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
The SV35(x) series is a mistake - I've been talking with SPEC about this. They got an erroneous bulletin from VW about a change that supposedly impacted 1.8 and 1.9 engines. Turns out this bulletin was wrong - as is the general knowledge here, there are two TDI clutches - the original LUK (what SPEC calls the SV49(x)) and the later Sachs (what SPEC calls the SV49(x)-2). Pricing on the 49's are a whole lot better than the 35's!

I've got a bit more work to do tomorrow - perhaps a better price still (no promises though)! Stay tuned!

MCA /images/graemlins/cool.gif

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Thx MCA... My clutch is still holding in there but, I'm never one to pass on a 'deal'. It's just a matter of time and I KNOW I'll be slip-slidin' away with the rest of the Sachs owners. I have already committed to keeping my DMF unless something catastrophic happens to it.

FYI, the NipponPower site lists the SV491 as the Sachs replacement @ $360.95. They show the SV491-2 as the Luk appropriate replacement at the same price.

I await further info, thx again.

faucho

TDI
golf, 2000, silver
how are payment and shipping going to be handled?

do i pay spec?

does spec ship directly to me?

or is it all going through you, mca?

if it goes thru you, how will you be accepting payment, and how will you be shipping?

thanks for putting this together.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
okay... the whole sachs issue is starting to get me thinking... I need a day or two or three to figure out if I can swing the cash to get the clutch kit now, and to see if I can get a decent Sachs DMF to go with it

mycruiseagent

Vendor
TDI
More info coming later today (or perhaps tomorrow or Monday). I just spoke with Jason at New Dimensions - ND is checking with SPEC about picking up the GB. This is the way SPEC really wanted to handle this from the get-go, but people from SPEC's distribution network (like New Dimensions) were off at the SEMA show when I brought it up. This should result in equal or better pricing than going to SPEC direct.

MCA

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Put me in for a Stage I and I hope we hit 20%. Of course if we hit 20% on Stage II and not enough demand for Stage I's, I will consider a Stage II.

I have the PP520's in my car now, and I am waiting of Jeff for my RocketChip..

I do assume I have the Sach's clutch...

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
Curious Chris:
I have PP520's with RocketChip Stage II and I don't
have any clutch slip with my '03 Golf. Are you
having (or anticipating) problems, or are you just
being proactive? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
[ QUOTE ]
dkuster said:
Curious Chris:
I have PP520's with RocketChip Stage II and I don't
have any clutch slip with my '03 Golf. Are you
having (or anticipating) problems, or are you just
being proactive? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You will. Give it time. This is your first winter with the car, right? well, if you drive at all aggressively, you'll get slip. temps drop, and sachs clutches start slippin'

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
Oldpoopie, what _are_ you smokin'? /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif /images/graemlins/wink.gif

My car would _never_ let me down by slipping the clutch!

Seriously, you shouldn't have told me that. I'm trying
to resist going in on _every_ group buy that comes
along!

I haven't experienced clutch slip yet, and tempting as
this is I can't see ordering a replacement clutch until
my car gives me signs that it needs one!

SLPRTDI

TDI
Jetta 99.5 Met Green
I have a 99.5 TDI, confused on what it has now, LUK or Sachs?
Also what about grinding the face of the flywheel? As i think DMF flywheels have to be ground not turned.
Last time I checked here in wisconsin I couldnt find a single machine shop to grind my flywheel.
Can we ship flywheels to SPEC for this service?
If I can solve these questions I am in for a stage 1

eicke

Veteran Member
[ QUOTE ]
SLPRTDI said:
I have a 99.5 TDI, confused on what it has now, LUK or Sachs?
Also what about grinding the face of the flywheel? As i think DMF flywheels have to be ground not turned.
Last time I checked here in wisconsin I couldnt find a single machine shop to grind my flywheel.
Can we ship flywheels to SPEC for this service?
If I can solve these questions I am in for a stage 1

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard everthing from....not necessary to resurface to..... you shouldn't resurface a DMF but I believe that Spec is also accepting them for resurfacing. I'd send it to them before I had a local machine shop do it. Being that is their field of expertise.