Windshield washer hose broken again.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
A couple years ago, I started having problems with the windshield washer hose breaking at the hood hinge.

I've repaired it a couple times now, and the part i can attach to at the fender keeps getting short and shorter...

It broke again sometime today, and looking for suggestions on getting this fixed more permanently.

I've used a bit of clear tubing to go over the corrugated VW tubing, but I think it is stiffening up in the cold weather and causing the corrugated tubing to crack when I open the hood.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
I just replaced a section of the corrugated tubing from close to the fender to near where it enters the hood. I used black “windshield washer hose” and barbed couplers at each end. The barbed coupler goes inside the hose and the corrugated tube. If I had the time, I would prefer to replace ALl of that corrugated tube, but I don’t want to take the wheel and wheel well off right now.

The barbed couplers came from the drip irrigation parts section of the hardware store.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx.

Drip irrigation barbs might work. I'm thinking I might see about re routing how the hose goes up to the hood so there isn't such a bad articulating bend in the hose.

Your version of cold weather is different than mine I take it. It was -10C yesterday (about 12F)

:)

Peter

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Thx.

Drip irrigation barbs might work. I'm thinking I might see about re routing how the hose goes up to the hood so there isn't such a bad articulating bend in the hose.

Your version of cold weather is different than mine I take it. It was -10C yesterday (about 12F)

:)

Peter
The local chain autoparts store had stuff to get it fixed. Bought some vacuum tubing at $0.79/ft, and 2 Barb union's for about $1 each.

They had unions to join 2 different sizes, I think I went from 1/8 to 3/16"

The vacuum tubing seems fairly flexible hopefully it lasts.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Haven't posted in a while but needed to prep the 2006 BRM for sale, including finally fixing this issue.

Much like a water or gas line, I saw no reason to remove the old tubing within the hood, so I just cut and spliced vacuum line onto the sprayers, and removed the tube from the leak point at the hinge, old lines and such still kickin around in the hood pockets. Irrigation barbs as connectors. Easy to snake the new line through.

I hate finally making a nice perfect car only when it's time to let it go...might be my last TDI... :( ...but I'm keeping the license plate; honk if you see me!

Thanks everyone.

BoiseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Golf - SOLD
Haven't posted in a while but needed to prep the 2006 BRM for sale, including finally fixing this issue.

Much like a water or gas line, I saw no reason to remove the old tubing within the hood, so I just cut and spliced vacuum line onto the sprayers, and removed the tube from the leak point at the hinge, old lines and such still kickin around in the hood pockets. Irrigation barbs as connectors. Easy to snake the new line through.

I hate finally making a nice perfect car only when it's time to let it go...might be my last TDI... :( ...but I'm keeping the license plate; honk if you see me!

Thanks everyone.
If I wanted to replace the entire line, how do I access the hose? It’s seems to go into the right front fender somewhere. I thought that maybe it’s more accessible with the car lifted?

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
If I wanted to replace the entire line, how do I access the hose? It’s seems to go into the right front fender somewhere. I thought that maybe it’s more accessible with the car lifted?
Hi there, I definitely didn’t lift the car. I believe I had to remove a few things from the top to be able to see the hose. Fairly certain it didn’t even go into the wheel well and all was accessible from the top. I had no guide and just had to poke around and trace it, I’ll give it a peek later today and if anything sticks out I’ll reply again. Good luck!