NJ State inspection

chris smith

TDI
-
Hi All, I'm a first time and proud owner of an 01 Golf TDI. I bought the car this weekend from a guy on the list in VA. I have to run it through NJ inspection. It is lowered with weitec coilovers, had a mufflerectomy, cold air intake and chipped. Any chance of it passing Inspection like this? Any experience is greatly appreciated. This is a great forum, I'm looking forward to having lots of fun with my car and learning a lot about it here.

LOWRANGO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf GLS TDI Auto
On my 3 diesel vehicles, they just checked, lights, wipers and brakes. this was at a state facility. never popped the hood and never looked under them with a mirror for cats or mufflers. you being lowered shouldn't be an issue.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
If you don't mind a slightly longer drive, head for the Flemington station on 202 - I've been going there for years (only once so far with the TDI), and had good luck.

From what I hear, it also has a much better reputation than the Washington station.

Rob

Jeraass

TDI
Jetta
Already mentioned, but it varies from place to place I guess. Fwiw, I've passed inspection every time, once lowered tucking front and back on KW coilovers, once raised up a bit on Bilstein PSS 9s. All they really ever checked was the lights, horn, brakes, the rumble test for the suspension, and for some reason they turned the a/c on. It's definitely like an hour and a half drive for you, but you should be okay at the Eatontown Station.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Does Jersey have a DMV website where you can search for "diesel"? I'm considering a mufflerectomy and had all the same questions you do, but live in Delaware, so did a search and found the below procedures for DE. One of the benefits of living in a small state is that as long as you don't go on the last business day of the month, there's no wait at the inspection lane and all that is required is a 2 minute plug-in to your OBD port. Not sure if NJ is similar or not, but if you were curious about our procedure down here, from DE DMV website "diesel" search:

"
What vehicles require emissions testing?

Emissions tests are required on automobiles and on trucks with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (MGVWR) of 8500 pounds or less. Exceptions include vehicles manufactured before 1968, diesel-fueled vehicles and motorcycles.

Diesel fueled vehicles model year 1996 and older are currently exempt from exhaust emissions testing but must pass safety testing for registration renewal. Diesel fueled vehicles model year 1997 and newer must pass an OBD-II test.

On-Board Diagnostic (OBDII) - There are two steps in the OBD II inspection. With the key on and the engine off, the inspector confirms that the MIL is functional. The inspector connects the inspection tool to the OBD II system to check the status of the system. The following is a typical OBD II connector. This test takes approximately 2 minutes to complete. The OBDII test method will replace the Division’s tailpipe test (and pressure test) for 1996 and new gasoline powered vehicles and 1997 and new diesel powered vehicles with MGVWR less than 8,500 pounds registered in New Castle County and Kent County.

For additional information regarding OBD II, please feel free to access the following web sites:
OBD Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Colorado State University Weber State University OBD II Clearing House

"

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Chris, are you the same Chris Smith of WER fame? I also sent you a PM on this. I was a licensed NJ inspector and ERT. You are exempt from the emissions regulations but NOT from the tampering regulation. They may nail you on the exhaust. The lowered suspension should not be an issue unless it is ridiculously low in which case it may fail the minimum height rule.

Last edited:

dkuster

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf GLS TDI
A couple of weeks ago at the Washington inspection station (Warren Country) they checked for OBD codes and they checked under the car with the mirror.