Factory trailer wiring part number

8v-of-fury

TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5spd
I have heard tale there is a factory wiring harness to add trailer lights to the mk4.

Does anyone have this? I have found my local parts desk to be rather incompetent.. haha

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is, but it is no longer in ETKA... it just says "see accessory catalog VOTEX".... they do not even show the hitches or anything in there anymore.

You can make one with the proper connectors that plug into the tail light bulb housings (the plugs are already there).

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Westfalia made a factory-like wiring harness but it's for Euro trailer wiring so not readily adaptable to US trailer wiring. It comes with a control module that hooks into the factory tail light wiring and had some purpose beyond what just plugging into the connectors on the tail light housings would give you. I think I read somewhere that it would disable the rear park-distance-control unit (which was a Euro-only option) and cause the turn signal indicators in the cluster to flash fast if a trailer light was burned out.

I foolishly bought this harness and then after I installed it, thought that it was defective. Turns out that the Euro tail lights have a couple of wires in different positions than the NA tail lights so I would have just needed to swap those wires on the Westfalia harness. By the time I had figured that out, I'd moved on and just hooked into the tail lights directly. Someday when I have time, I'll try to get it working. I like how the trailer connector is outside the car so you don't have wiring running out the hatch when pulling a trailer.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS Sedan Platinum Gray
I know this is an old thread, but I am wondering if anyone might know the part number or some other identifying info for the Westfalia harness mentioned in this thread. I'd like to try to find it since I have the parking distance control sensors, even if it is a long shot.

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
You can still find info by searching on the Westfalia web site:

https://www.westfalia-automotive.co...towbar/vw-golf-iv-hatchback/305222600001-182/

There's also a kit (300025300113) to allow a camper's battery to charge from the car:
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/de/en/product-overview/wiring-kits-1/accessories-spare-parts/
Awesome, thanks! It looks like the 13-pin one is easy to find, as are 13-pin to 4-pin adapters. Are there any caveats when using an adapter?

Since an adapter is needed regardless, is there any advantage of getting the 7-pin vs the 13-pin?

Also, might you have any additional info regarding the which wires to swap that you mentioned?

Last edited:

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I don't know anything about the 13-pin to 4-pin adapters, but here is a page that describes the wiring difference between Euro and US tail lights:
http://sluggyjunx.com/auto/2003_vw_jetta_wagon/wagon_tail_lights/index.html
The Euro turn signal wires go to a different connector pin than in the US so you would need to modify the Westfalia wiring harness to work with US turn signals.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I got a US Golf VW trailer wiring in a sack with the car. Part number is probably still legible. Will let youse know Tuesday... :)

Douglas

benmarks

Veteran Member
TDI
I think I may have misunderstood something. Would I want the 7-pin or 13-pin version?

13-pin is Euro only, but 7-pin can be either US or Euro, and the two aren't compatible, right?

Is there one that's easier to convert to a 4-pin US style?

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I think I may have misunderstood something. Would I want the 7-pin or 13-pin version?

13-pin is Euro only, but 7-pin can be either US or Euro, and the two aren't compatible, right?

Is there one that's easier to convert to a 4-pin US style?
Euro have a separate wire for each bulb. Usa uses same for break and turn.and has the brake controller built in. If your savvy with a meter and wiring. It's easy to figure it out. I had to build one for my car

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
The only real advantage I see is that it uses a factory opening behind the bumper to route the wires. I had a curt adaptor prior and would run it out the trunk opening when needed. The euro harness is cleaner. Way too many unused options on it including rear fogs for the trailer. I haven't used it yet, but I will probably order an adaptor to try to.

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
An official relay box that sources its own power is indeed a big deal and should always be used; tying to the vehicle's brake light circuits is a very bad idea (other than as triggers, of course.)

The 7-pin (US standard; its different overseas) allows for both a brake controller and charge. Trailer brakes are required in many states over a certain weight and are a darn good idea with a lighter, shorter-wheelbase vehicle whether required by law or not. Without the charging connector the breakaway battery has to be manually maintained and if you don't, and it is dead when needed that's very, very bad. Any time you have electric brakes on a trailer IMHO having the charge connection hooked up (properly fused of course) so the breakaway battery is charged whenever you're connected and towing should not be considered optional.

yurtesen

TDI
Golf Variant
The part number for 4-wire Votex trailer cabling for 13-pin connector is 000 055 200 G. This still appears in Brazil, Mexico catalogs. It says 7pin LHD erroneously. But the manual which comes with it says "Electrical extension kit for 13-wire trailer socket". This is for pins 9,10,11,12 and 13 on the 13-pin connector. It has 2 relays and cabling until battery. -> https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/br/golf/golf/2004-351/0/071-71015/
But really this part is faulty, because it should not connect pin 12 at all.

Part number 3C0 055 204 B is 3-wire trailer cabling. Also erroneously marked as RHD in catalog (I doubt it matters). But same as Westfalia 300025300113. Perhaps it is better than 000 055 200 G because 000 055 200 G is older part with pin 12 connected to switched positive which should not be done. Pin 12 should be not connected or short circuits might happen!. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_s...nnectors#13-pin_trailer_connector_(ISO_11446)

7vs13 pin:
https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/de/en/product-overview/wiring-kits-1/7-vs-13-pins

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Have you looked at the Curt website? They may have a US capable adapter without having to do anything special.