Temp issues

cman9898

TDI
jetta MK4
Hey guys and gals. New day new problem. I recently did a coolant flush and filled it with g12 coolant. Since then, whenever I’m sitting still I get an overheat warning light, which isn’t to weird, it is north Carolina in August. The really weird part is that it will also kick the light when it starts. Doesn’t matter how long it sat or where. I park overnight in a garage, and it still goes off every morning. Once I drive about 2 or 3 minutes it goes away. Any ideas?

MORTAMIR

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV GOLF 05 BEW, DURAMAX LBZ, X5 35D
Do you have a scan tool? VCDS or and OBDII reader? Your car has two senors for water temps.

Speersy49

TDI
2004 Jetta
My experience is: coolant light on dash means low coolant or "crusty" sensor prongs in reservoir. New reservoir ball is cheap (and you can see through it again). If it's throwing a code it could be the ECT sensor, which is cheap and easy to replace.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
If you didn’t have problems before your coolant flush & you have problems now you must have an air pocket & low coolant
Did you just drain the radiator or block & radiator ?

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
If you didn’t have problems before your coolant flush & you have problems now you must have an air pocket & low coolant
Did you just drain the radiator or block & radiator ?
I'll second that. I've found air pockets difficult to remove with these engines. I suggest finding a steep hill/driveway, park nose down, and idle the engine for 5 min to see if you can get a "burp". If no hill is available, you can try jacking up the back of the car as high as you can safely.

I've also seen instructions online about how to "pump" the coolant through the hoses by squeezing a hose and blocking/releasing the upper coolant reservoir hose. I don't recall where I saw that, but you can probably find it with a search.

You should take case of this right away, because you are overheating your engine if you have an air pocket. Basically, the air gets to the pump, which then spins in air and doesn't do anything.

cman9898

TDI
jetta MK4
So when I drained it I popped the hose at the bottom of the radiator it was a quick job the car had been sitting for over a year. The weird thing about it is it only happens when I sit still for more than a minute or so or at start up. At first I thought fans but they seem to be functioning

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
So when I drained it I popped the hose at the bottom of the radiator it was a quick job the car had been sitting for over a year. The weird thing about it is it only happens when I sit still for more than a minute or so or at start up. At first I thought fans but they seem to be functioning

Read what Shoebear wrote
If you have a jack you can jack up the car if not with the engine running you can massage the lower radiator hoses I would keep the cap off when you do that and let it get up to temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
The weird thing about it is it only happens when I sit still for more than a minute or so or at start up.
I had the problem only at cold startup for a while.
I took the reserve bottle off and used an old steak knife to reach inside to scrape the sensor pins.
Had to do it twice to fix it.
Couldn't figure what was on them, didn't really see a difference. :confused:
Aftermarket market bottle is reasonably priced:
https://www.idparts.com/coolant-expansion-tank-1j0121407f-1001211064-p-1252.html
OEM also available there.