BEW fuel mileage?

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta MKIV, 1.9 BEW with 09A
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some advice on BEW specific fuel mileage mods. I tend to average 36-39 mpg and the personal best is 40.

My car is pretty up to date with maintenance. I recently:

Had a timing belt job and had my torsion value set to -.5
Had an alignment
Changed fuel filter
Changed air filter
Changed battery
Checked the control arm bushings and they're good
Recently cleaned the turbo vanes
Cleaned my EGR valve and intake manifold

The MAF is questionable and I'm in the process of ordering a new one.

Now for my questions. Is there any other maintenance related things I should look at that could be affecting fuel economy? And as far as mods, I'm on a skin tight budget and live paycheck to paycheck. The more expensive things like the Malone tune and VNT17 are going to have to come later. Are there any budget friendly mods I can make for now?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Yet another of your threads I get to watch. If it makes you feel better, I'm also averaging 35-39mpg on my PD, with most of my mileage being highway at 70-75 (I tend to like to shift around 3000 or so).

I'll let you know if the VNT17 helps, as I'm getting that put in next Friday.

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Yet another of your threads I get to watch. If it makes you feel better, I'm also averaging 35-39mpg on my PD, with most of my mileage being highway at 70-75 (I tend to like to shift around 3000 or so).

I'll let you know if the VNT17 helps, as I'm getting that put in next Friday.
Yes, please do! The first expensive thing I plan to get is probably a downpipe. Due to the price, the turbo is last on the list unless my KP39 fails before then. I probably won't be able to afford the downpipe until tax return season, sadly. Until then, I'm hoping someone knows about some cheaper or homemade mods.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check your rear brakes for dragging. I think from what others are saying your mileage is in the ball park. I guess the best way to improve is to trade it in for an 05 with a manual 5spd transmission. I just filled mine up tonight, 51.9 . As the weather warms I expect to gain 2-3 more mpg.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Unplug your EGR valve, and cut out the cat. Those are free things to do. Will throw a CEL light for the EGR though.

I average mid to upper 40's (last fill was 47.1) in my BEW, driving 75-80mph on the highway. My commute is about 60% highway, 30% mountain/hilly 2 lane roads (that I drive like a bat out of hell, its a fun drive), and the other 10% would be city.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yes, please do! The first expensive thing I plan to get is probably a downpipe. Due to the price, the turbo is last on the list unless my KP39 fails before then. I probably won't be able to afford the downpipe until tax return season, sadly. Until then, I'm hoping someone knows about some cheaper or homemade mods.
Unplug your EGR valve, and cut out the cat. Those are free things to do. Will throw a CEL light for the EGR though.
Honestly, I'd suggest at least a Stage 1 tune. It's only $249, and you can do a software EGR delete, so when you do the EGR motor block off and the cooler bypass, you won't throw a CEL. I've heard that the fuel economy gain is supposedly minimal, but the EGR coolant pipes are always cracking (as mine is). Probably not recommended with a turbo that's questionable, but my tuner killed the intake manifold flap motor. Car starts up faster than my diesel tractor, although it does shudder when turning off (not a problem for me).

The Stage 1 is a BIG difference from stock. My only concern is the clutch slippage I've noticed (getting my new clutch on Monday).

I average mid to upper 40's (last fill was 47.1) in my BEW, driving 75-80mph on the highway. My commute is about 60% highway, 30% mountain/hilly 2 lane roads (that I drive like a bat out of hell, its a fun drive), and the other 10% would be city.
Check your rear brakes for dragging. I think from what others are saying your mileage is in the ball park. I guess the best way to improve is to trade it in for an 05 with a manual 5spd transmission. I just filled mine up tonight, 51.9 . As the weather warms I expect to gain 2-3 more mpg.
Lucky you. I don't know what I'll be getting after my Stage 4 tune next week, but I don't even see over 42 on my CR, so I'm not even expecting to see 45, especially with my driving (mostly highway doing 70-84). I seriously don't know how the heck y'all are getting mid 40s to 50s.

As for the transmission, I think you can do a tranny swap if I'm not mistaken, although it's certainly not a cheap upgrade, both for labor and parts.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Lucky you. I don't know what I'll be getting after my Stage 4 tune next week, but I don't even see over 42 on my CR, so I'm not even expecting to see 45, especially with my driving (mostly highway doing 70-84). I seriously don't know how the heck y'all are getting mid 40s to 50s.

As for the transmission, I think you can do a tranny swap if I'm not mistaken, although it's certainly not a cheap upgrade, both for labor and parts.

So even with your 04 you don't get close to 50?

My travel is mostly 2 lane, hardly ever see 65. My traffic jams are usually a farmer pulling a manure spreader from barn to field. Which I can't pass until I get a straight shot of road.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
If your driving 2 lane roads in the 55-65mph range (with few slow downs), you should be seeing much higher MPG's. The 09A is at a little bit of a disadvantage when it comes to MPG's vs a manual, but it shouldn't be as bad as your getting (my wife had an 04 with an 09A and could do mid 40's driving the same kind of commute your talking about).

How many miles on your car? Sometimes its the luck of the draw when it comes to these and MPG's, but I think you should be seeing higher. It does sound like you've done about all you can do cheap wise. Why do you think the MAF is bad?

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Honestly, I'd suggest at least a Stage 1 tune. It's only $249, and you can do a software EGR delete, so when you do the EGR motor block off and the cooler bypass, you won't throw a CEL. I've heard that the fuel economy gain is supposedly minimal, but the EGR coolant pipes are always cracking (as mine is). Probably not recommended with a turbo that's questionable, but my tuner killed the intake manifold flap motor. Car starts up faster than my diesel tractor, although it does shudder when turning off (not a problem for me).

The Stage 1 is a BIG difference from stock. My only concern is the clutch slippage I've noticed (getting my new clutch on Monday).

I would recommend a tune as well, but it sounds like its out of his price range. It does help spool up at lower RPM's though, IMO (all exhaust going through turbo). Straight pipe helps it breathe a little better. It might not help much, but it *should* help out some.

I shift at about 22-2500 depending on the gear. When on the highway I generally set cruise at 75, but flow tends to be faster and I will usually end up doing 80 most of the way. On the backroads, I drive like I stole it just because its a fun drive with all of the corners and hills (10 miles +1500' elevation). Maybe my car is the exception, who knows. But I fill once a week (about 700 miles) so I have a pretty good idea of what my MPG's are.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I have a 1.5 Malone tune on my generally stock '04 PD. I have gotten as good as 52 mpg when trying hard and used to average about 46. Until I lifted the vehicle.

I just did a complete suspension refresh/overhaul. Lifted the vehicle about 2 inches. I'm now getting about 42.5 mpg. Not happy about that but will live with it. That's with new Pirelli P-7s, Koni FSDs and fresh alignment.

Yes -- check your brakes for dragging.

I've not heard of PDs getting in the 30's for mileage...

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
If your driving 2 lane roads in the 55-65mph range (with few slow downs), you should be seeing much higher MPG's. The 09A is at a little bit of a disadvantage when it comes to MPG's vs a manual, but it shouldn't be as bad as your getting (my wife had an 04 with an 09A and could do mid 40's driving the same kind of commute your talking about).

How many miles on your car? Sometimes its the luck of the draw when it comes to these and MPG's, but I think you should be seeing higher. It does sound like you've done about all you can do cheap wise. Why do you think the MAF is bad?
223,000+ miles. I think the MAF is bad because the car has become more sluggish. Idk what to think of my MAF. People have said to test your MAF, unplug it and drive. If you have an immediate power gain, then it's gone bad. Well, I unplugged mine and it made absolutely no difference at all (other than throwing a CEL).

As far as EGR, I discovered 2 hours ago that I have a cracked lower pipe. No whistling, but I can see the smoke and smell it when the a/c is not on recirculate. Unplugging it won't fix the leak, but I do have two block off plates. Should I remove the pipe and cap off the exhaust manifold and the bottom of the cooler?

For the brakes, I changed my rear brakes and rotors about 6 months ago and bled the lines. additionally, I don't notice any smoking or excess heat coming from the rear wheels after I finish driving. Could they still be dragging given those circumstances though? How do I fix it if they are?

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 1.5 Malone tune on my generally stock '04 PD. I have gotten as good as 52 mpg when trying hard and used to average about 46. Until I lifted the vehicle.

Does yours have a manual transmission or the 09A automatic? I have the 09A. Everywhere I read, it seems like a manual transmission makes a 10+ MPG difference. I'm seriously starting to get buyer's remorse for buying one equipped with and automatic.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I found the 09A to be at a bit of a disadvantage, but more in the 5mpg range (say 10-15%). If you use triptronic, it locks the torque converter in 4th and 5th at low RPM's, and I think 3rd as well. Might try to use that feature some to help keep the RPM's down as your accelerating. I actually really liked that trans, and how it reacted when using Triptronic. I used that mode more as more of a fuel savings technique than for what I'm sure it was intended for, spirited driving. Might give that a shot over the course of a tank or two to see if it helps any. Usually I let it shift into 2nd and then triped' it from there.

A little hole in the EGR system is all it takes and it will greatly effect the car. I would throw those block off plates in, and delete the whole EGR cooler setup (so you will need some barb to barb fittings for the coolant hoses).

It does sound like you have ruled out the MAF.

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I found the 09A to be at a bit of a disadvantage, but more in the 5mpg range (say 10-15%). If you use triptronic, it locks the torque converter in 4th and 5th at low RPM's, and I think 3rd as well. Might try to use that feature some to help keep the RPM's down as your accelerating. I actually really liked that trans, and how it reacted when using Triptronic. I used that mode more as more of a fuel savings technique than for what I'm sure it was intended for, spirited driving. Might give that a shot over the course of a tank or two to see if it helps any. Usually I let it shift into 2nd and then triped' it from there.

A little hole in the EGR system is all it takes and it will greatly effect the car. I would throw those block off plates in, and delete the whole EGR cooler setup (so you will need some barb to barb fittings for the coolant hoses).

It does sound like you have ruled out the MAF.
I live at the foot of the Appalachian Mountains, so it's really hilly here. I do use the tiptronic shift quite often, but when I do, I only use it to drop from 5th to 4th when climbing mountains/hills so the engine doesn't bog down. I love the 09A too! It's really fun for an automatic. Did you notice a fuel mileage difference when using tiptronic all the time?

I have the kit to delete the entire system, but I've seen that removing that EGR cooler is a massive PITA and it will definitely throw a CEL when it's gone. However, I'm planning on leaving everything in place and just blanking off the exhaust manifold port and the port on the bottom of the cooler, therefore only deleting the lower pipe. It's a lot less work. I've also heard that this method will not cause a CEL. Ever heard if that's true? Thoughts?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I would recommend a tune as well, but it sounds like its out of his price range. It does help spool up at lower RPM's though, IMO (all exhaust going through turbo). Straight pipe helps it breathe a little better. It might not help much, but it *should* help out some.
If you're doing the work, my opinion - save up for it. Even if you don't plan on upgrading the turbo anytime soon, well worth it. But speaking from experience, I've noticed some clutch slipping if I really push it. I'm guessing my clutch is probably the original one.

I shift at about 22-2500 depending on the gear. When on the highway I generally set cruise at 75, but flow tends to be faster and I will usually end up doing 80 most of the way. On the backroads, I drive like I stole it just because its a fun drive with all of the corners and hills (10 miles +1500' elevation). Maybe my car is the exception, who knows. But I fill once a week (about 700 miles) so I have a pretty good idea of what my MPG's are.
Yup, I did a ventectomy the other day. It was pretty awesome going 650 miles before filling up, and still having a gallon or two left.

I just got my MFA cluster installed today by a TDIclub member/vendor, so I have a better picture on fuel economy - today was 37-39mpg. Granted, Central Texas has a lot of inclines and declines.

[/quote]

I live at the foot of the Appalachian Mountains, so it's really hilly here. I do use the tiptronic shift quite often, but when I do, I only use it to drop from 5th to 4th when climbing mountains/hills so the engine doesn't bog down. I love the 09A too! It's really fun for an automatic. Did you notice a fuel mileage difference when using tiptronic all the time?
Can't speak for the BEW, but on my CR, yes. But if I used D all the time, I'd be lugging the engine like crazy; even with the DSG tune, sometimes it still takes a few seconds to figure out it's time to downshift. I actually drive in tiptronic mode about 99% of the time. D only comes on if I'm doing 20-30mph in a city/school zone.

I have the kit to delete the entire system, but I've seen that removing that EGR cooler is a massive PITA and it will definitely throw a CEL when it's gone. However, I'm planning on leaving everything in place and just blanking off the exhaust manifold port and the port on the bottom of the cooler, therefore only deleting the lower pipe. It's a lot less work. I've also heard that this method will not cause a CEL. Ever heard if that's true? Thoughts?
Just get a Stage 1 tune with the EGR deleted in software. Then, when you delete in hardware, you'll have no problems. Yup, my tuner said it's about 3 hours, so he told me he'll do it free of charge, since he has to take the turbo out to put in the VNT17 (yes, I put those mods in my sig; I physically have them, but they get installed Friday/Saturday).

With that said, the Stage 1 tune definitely adds much needed pep, although my clutch does slip on 3rd and 4th if I really push the throttle.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Does yours have a manual transmission or the 09A automatic? I have the 09A. Everywhere I read, it seems like a manual transmission makes a 10+ MPG difference. I'm seriously starting to get buyer's remorse for buying one equipped with and automatic.
I don't know if you can do a manual transmission swap on the PD, but I know you can on the ALH. Obviously, it's not cheap, but that could be an option for you in the future when you have funds. But look on the bright side - at least you don't have the crappy automatic transmission on the ALHs that I hear bad things about left and right.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

I just did a complete suspension refresh/overhaul. Lifted the vehicle about 2 inches. I'm now getting about 42.5 mpg. Not happy about that but will live with it. That's with new Pirelli P-7s, Koni FSDs and fresh alignment.

Yes -- check your brakes for dragging.

How fast are you going, and do you have a lot of hilly terrain where you live? I've consistently got 36-39mph in my PD, over 3+ weeks of ownership and over 3000 miles driven. I have yet to get over 40, but the speed limits out here are also 65-75, and one some highways, everyone does closer to 80.

BTW bigjake - I apologize for partially hijacking your thread.

To OlyTDI - what did you use to raise your TDI? I wouldn't mind it being raised another inch or so myself. I'd eventually like to put on a hitch and use it to tow (and at that point, as long as I'm getting over 20mpg, I'm good).

bigjake

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know if you can do a manual transmission swap on the PD, but I know you can on the ALH. Obviously, it's not cheap, but that could be an option for you in the future when you have funds. But look on the bright side - at least you don't have the crappy automatic transmission on the ALHs that I hear bad things about left and right.
Ah, the wretched 01M. I did lots of homework before buying. I actually turned down a Jetta because it had the 01M. Horrible transmission. And no worries, you're not hijacking anything. this is all good info!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Ah, the wretched 01M. I did lots of homework before buying. I actually turned down a Jetta because it had the 01M. Horrible transmission. And no worries, you're not hijacking anything. this is all good info!
From what my tuner said, you can apparently do an auto to manual swap on almost any TDI. If my DSG ever craps out on the JSW, I'd love to put a 6MT in there.

As for mileage, I've been consistently getting 38mpg overall lately, although I got 41 the other day on a 350 mile trip. After getting my Stage 4 tune and associated upgrades, I'm still getting 37-38mpg, even driving like a bat outta hell (this car PULLS hard in 4th).

Ricky Blade

TDI
2004 Golf

Not to hi Jack this post but I would like to ask,
Unplugging the egr and removing the cat helps highway fuel mileage?
Where can I read up on tricks to improve mileage and performance of my '04 Golf?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Not to hi Jack this post but I would like to ask,
Unplugging the egr and removing the cat helps highway fuel mileage?
Where can I read up on tricks to improve mileage and performance of my '04 Golf?
Apparently, it does. Got a 2.5" straight pipe (no muffler, cat, resonator, or O2 sensor (still need the proper tune to delete it in software)).

Anyways, I've been getting consistently over 40mpg now, and my last fill up was 45.5mpg for 666.3 miles, which is better than the Prius I owned at one point. Of course, this is with a top speed of 70 (as speed limits are slow in PA/DE/DC/MD/NJ/VA), but even in states with 70 and 75mph speed limits, I was doing really good. I also have an EGR delete as well, as it seems the EGR cooler cracking is pretty common on our PDs.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Funny how I found this thread while searching for average PD fuel economy.
So 4 years later, I'm back around 34-39mpg. I'll see over 40 if I'm in Florida or California (where it's flat). Here in Texas Hill Country? Forget it.

teitel39

TDI
2004 golf GL 4dr, 5spd, BEW
my mark4 5 spd. BEW has been getting 40. Its got a tune in it. EGR delete, the VNT 17, Colt stage 2 cam. I drive like I stole it most the time. Mine has a new clutch assembly in it I do worry about blowing the tires loose in 1st & 2nd, try to avoid that. I don't want clutch to slip, ounce you do that it's never the same.

saCusa

TDI
mk.IV Golf BEW M5
my 05 has 132k miles on it and I drive it mostly in the city. I average 43-44 mpg in the city. I did a 60 mile stretch on the freeway recently and calculated the mileage at 60 mpg, strictly highway with some side streets to get to fuel stations etc.

befarrer

TDI
05 Golf
Just took my 05 Golf 5-speed on a longer road trip, did 700km (435miles) in a day. 99% was highway, averaged 120KM/h (75MPH) with A/C on. I got 5.5L/100KM, or 42MPG, I figure thats pretty good, I wasnt driving for economy, just driving normally. Car has a brand new cam kit, timing belt, 5W40 Liquimoly oil, 396,000KM (246,000Miles), 1" lift on the front, all emissions still intact, EGR, Cat, etc... No check engine light. I've only had the car 2 months and 3000KM, so I dont have much history.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
My '05 Golf manual would see 50mpg+ commuting and 30mpg towing my camper. RC1+ installed most of it's life. And that was with the BBS RC (18" 337 wheels)

Jason

befarrer

TDI
05 Golf
Just took my 05 Golf 5-speed on a longer road trip, did 700km (435miles) in a day. 99% was highway, averaged 120KM/h (75MPH) with A/C on. I got 5.5L/100KM, or 42MPG, I figure thats pretty good, I wasnt driving for economy, just driving normally. Car has a brand new cam kit, timing belt, 5W40 Liquimoly oil, 396,000KM (246,000Miles), 1" lift on the front, all emissions still intact, EGR, Cat, etc... No check engine light. I've only had the car 2 months and 3000KM, so I dont have much history.
Since I did the above trip, I replaced my leaking charge cooler, replaced all my intake o-rings from turbo to intake manifold, sealed a leaking hose at the turbo, and replaced my exhaust to egr cooler hose which was leaking. I did a trip from Edmonton to Jasper and back, then the next day Edmonton, to Okotoks and back, roughly 1700KM total, did 120KM/h on the highway, A/C on sometimes, usually in the city driving as it was 30C all the time. Jasper is in the rocky mountains, and Okotoks is only 100KM from the rocky mountains, so high altitude. I got 5.3L/100KM. Car passed 400,000KM on the Okotoks trip, engine has never been apart, original turbo, car is all stock, EGR cooler installed, stock tune, cat and muffler still there. No check engine light or any lights on the dash. After the first trip, which was 820KM, I checked my charge cooler for any oil, I drilled a drain hole in the bottom and sealed it with a screw previously, no a drop came out, but I have an external oil separator for the crankcase breather hose too.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
04 Wagon 09A Tip. Ventectomy. Best range so far 704 miles no A/C, rural roads (I got fuel, light was close to, but had not come on yet). Forgot the total gallons for this PB. Love this car...

BEW361

TDI
2004 GLS sedan
I have achieved 52mpg only one with my 2004 BEW sedan with manual transmission on a trip to New York State. In the last few weeks I have achieved 48mpg 3 times. When I’m in the city mileage is lower than 45. Yesterday’s road trip with some hefty passing and average speed 85mph the mileage was 45.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
I used to get 40mpg average in my 2003 ALH, that dropped to 36-37 when I put one some heavier wheels and bigger tires on and started making shorter inner-city trips instead of longer highway trips. The high was 51.4MPG on a trip to Phoenix and back.

My 2004 BEW has averaged between 25-27 in the past two years or so, with a bump up to 28 mpg on my last tank thanks to increased highway driving, higher tire pressure. and a recent 20k service. I just put some bigger, heavier wheels on it so I may see a drop again, but I'd like to try to get over 30 even with primarily city driving if possible.

Here's what I think are my limiting factors:
  • I mostly drive in the city. Work is barely a mile from home. I should probably get back to riding my bike to work on a regular basis.
  • I'm pretty certain that my EGR cooler is cracked and leaking coolant into the exhaust, and I'll be installing the ID parts bypass kit shortly.
  • I have a roof rack.
  • I have nice big tires.
  • I don't go out of my way to drive gently.
I'm planning on getting a tune with the in the next week or so, just have to decide one Stage 1 vs. 1.5. I'll get the dynamic idle and dynamic egr options, which should help with warming up the car quickly.

Anything else I should be checking for?