Harmonic Balancer replacement and other vibration issues

codeblue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Vento GLX TDI
Hi,

I am wondering how often, if ever, a harmonic balancer should be replaced. I have the 243 T version already, but I am trying to track down some insane vibrations at idle.

I don't get any squeaky belts/pulleys at startup or anything like that. It's just a lot of vibration at idle. The steering wheel is vibrating like mad and you can see the hood vibrates a lot too. It's funny because if I let go of the steering wheel, you can hear the whole dash vibrating, and as soon as I grab it again everything vibrates less, including the hood. It's like my body is acting as a vibration dampener itself. So I would kind of like to solve this problem.

I replaced all 3 motor mounts a few months ago, but it seems that I will be ordering new ones because some of the replacements were chinese units, so I suspect that may be part of the problem. One other thing I should mention is that it is really bad at cold startup. As soon as the car is warmed up, it vibrates a lot less in the steering wheel and everything but I can tell it's still there.

If anyone has any ideas on what else it could be, let me know. Could it be injector balance?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
A couple of years ago I had a Chinese mount substitution for what should have been a Euro brand from AZ Autohaus. I didn't use it, but there must be some issue with supply of OEM-quality mounts.

You used the original hydraulic rear mount not the B4 voided rubber version, right?

codeblue

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Vento GLX TDI
Well I ordered the hydraulic one. I mean, I don't know how to check for sure if it is or not as it appears to be covered. But it looks like the original one that it replaced at least.

soup nazi

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Golf 2.0 DSG, MkIII Tdi Manual
I have the very same problem. I just purchased a 1996 Mk III Tdi Golf 1Z with 109000km on the clock, one owner. Vibrates like hell. Ive ordered a new harmonic and tensioner for the serp and from my experience with my prev Mk III I bet it does the trick.

The problem with the original harmonic balancer is that the belt pully is mounted on the rubber damper. The rubber distorts as the engine fires and over time with the belt tension. I can visually see the thing is not running true, I might put a dial indicator on it to verify the problem.

soup nazi

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Golf 2.0 DSG, MkIII Tdi Manual
OK, i'm wrong on this occasion. I replaced the Harmonic Damper and still vibrates. I then replaced the Aux Belt Tensioner. Vibrations are all gone, dead quiet and very still!