Retrofitting Auto Folding Mirrors on Trendline

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Hi all,

I recently bought the Chinese OEM auto-folding mirrors with 2 door modules (driver and passenger). I have a trendline TDI (lowest trim in Canada) and research says I need to update my door modules ending with 392(passenger)/393(driver) to 592/593 respectively. I literally copied the long coding from my previous '3' module to the '5' module. After copying over the long coding from the old module to the new one, I had to enable power folding mirrors on both. The auto-folding works (somewhat) so I know the mirrors are fine.

My problem now is that the modules cause the following:

• The passenger mirror folds as expected when the car is locked and unfolds when the ignition is switched on but the driver's mirror does the complete opposite. One is always folded while the other is always unfolded. I'll be driving with one mirror out and the other folded :p
  • The front window controls in the driver and passenger doors are reversed. Up is down and down is up. :confused: The rear windows function as expected.
  • The passenger mirror adjustment knob adjusts the mirror in the wrong direction - up isn't up, down isn't down, etc...:confused:
  • Both driver and passenger door locks are the opposite. The lock unlocks and the unlock locks. :confused:
I am running out of ideas on where to figure out what went wrong. These are brand new modules and had the coding of 0000000000000000 when I plugged them in. I even tried the functions above (except for the folding mirrors) with the 0000000000000000 and nothing seems to work.

I replug back the '3' modules and everything functions fine except the coding didn't work for the auto folding mirrors - obviously. The new switch works with the module '3' as well.

I am currently using OBDeleven. Did I need to copy over the adaptations too? Am I missing something?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I don't remember the exact details off-hand, but IIRC, there are a couple of different places that I had to make coding changes and/or adaptations to get everything working properly.

Did you add / enable options to the infotainment unit as well as the door coding?

(Edit: Check out Page 33+ in this .pdf from USP's installation instructions.)

Last edited:

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
I don't remember the exact details off-hand, but IIRC, there are a couple of different places that I had to make coding changes and/or adaptations to get everything working properly.

Did you add / enable options to the infotainment unit as well as the door coding?

(Edit: Check out Page 33+ in this .pdf from USP's installation instructions.)
Thank you for your reply. Turns out I might have to get my modules parameterized to a VW Golf. These modules are used on different Audis, VWs, Seats, and Skodas. I found another forum that a user had experienced before.

https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/9182/retrofitting-auto-folding-mirrors-trendline

I will keep everyone posted so that if anyone else runs into this, they'll know what to expect.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
So here's a bit of an update. I was unable to get them working. The dealership had advised me that they were unable to reparameterize the door via online coding as the door module is not recognized for this car. They said the part number and the software numbers might not match. I asked if I were to buy used modules and have them recode them will it work. They said they will still have to reparameterize it. My next best solution would be to buy new modules or used modules off a Comfortline or Highline. I'll need to source out the parts with the right software numbers. At this point, I am not 100% sure if I want to go through with this. Anyone who has a 393/392 module, I would be inclined not to recommend this modification. I heard of people getting them to work on the low-level trims but have yet to see it.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Buy used modules removed from a GTI or Golf R in North America. Of course, make sure they are 592/593 modules. The power folding mirror install is a pretty common modification and does not require a trip to the dealer for anything.

You can also get modules from AliExpress. I have a TDI S and have had the folding mirrors for a couple years. The dealer is correct that they will not be able to parameterize modules that didn't come in your car. They could do the coding but would have to do it manually as your car's stock coding doesn't have folding mirrors. Better to save your money and do the coding yourself.

When I did the install I directly copied long coding from my old modules. Then did the changes to enable folding/puddle lights.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Buy used modules removed from a GTI or Golf R in North America. Of course, make sure they are 592/593 modules. The power folding mirror install is a pretty common modification and does not require a trip to the dealer for anything.

You can also get modules from AliExpress. I have a TDI S and have had the folding mirrors for a couple years. The dealer is correct that they will not be able to parameterize modules that didn't come in your car. They could do the coding but would have to do it manually as your car's stock coding doesn't have folding mirrors. Better to save your money and do the coding yourself.

When I did the install I directly copied long coding from my old modules. Then did the changes to enable folding/puddle lights.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
For sure. I am in the middle of sourcing out a used module. Was told that scrap yards might have some used ones.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
SUCCESS! I spoke to the seller and he advised me that the modules do work and ODIS-E was needed to write the data set for the new modules. He provided me with 2 .XML files for the passenger and driver door. I asked my friend at the dealership, he said that VW won't upload any data sets as it is a safety issue they aren't willing to take responsibility for it. I am guessing whatever is on the VW server for my car doesn't match with the part number/software number I bought. After looking around locally for someone who has ODIS-E, I was able to find someone who could help. He wasn't too familiar or remembered how to connect it to the car. After 2 weeks of figuring it out, we connected it, uploaded the module data sets respectively and everything worked. Mirrors fold when they are supposed to and windows, locks, and mirrors all function as they should. Overall, I learned so much about parts and programming. ODIS-E is a great tool as its does way more in-depth coding than OBDEleven. I don't think I will ever need to use it again but the guy I dealt with said I am more than welcome to use it again if I go to him. The lesson here, don't buy new units/modules if you don't have the right tools to deal with the brand new ones.

EDIT: Also found out that modules have the memory mirror functions! I have lost the child lock window function. Plugging back my old module the function works. Is there any long coding for that or adaptations?

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
What does mirror memory give you?
I know there's something in long coding for "dip in reverse" - not sure if that's what you mean.

dwu.048

TDI
2015 Golf MK7 (DSG)
Before I had these modules, the mirror dip did not return to its original position when out of reverse. I would sometimes have to adjust the mirrors back to my settings.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk