Oil filter housing/cap weeping

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Just changed my oil today, and during my usual underside check after filling, I noticed a small weep coming from the oil filter housing. Photos attached before and after starting the car. Anybody else experience this? Hoping it is the cap and not the housing itself. Yes I replaced the o ring and oiled it, and torqued the housing to spec

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I clean mine pretty well every oil change, but it always manages to get pretty filthy in 10k miles. It doesn't drip yet, but I feel that eventually it may need to just be replaced. A metal version with an added fumoto valve would be pretty sweet if you ask me.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
The two O rings do the sealing. they need to be the correct place, and the mating surfaces need to be clean enough for the O ring to seal.

might want to clean this off (I like a spray of simple green, wait a few minutes then gentle wash of water)

and then wait to verify where exactly it is leaking.