Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I think what you are calling a "premium" is the station's charge to recover the Interchange Fee(s) they are charged by the card issuers to process credit and debit card transactions. It is these recovery fees that make up the difference between the lower "cash" prices and the higher "credit/debit" prices. The stations around here Oroville pretty much charge the same price whether payment is cash or card, so basically we cash users are subsidizing the card users. BTW, by refusing to accept credit cards, ARCO doesn't have to pay any credit interchange fees so it can keep its fuel prices low (however they do charge a flat 35¢ "convenience" fee/transaction to cover debit card interchange fees). Credit card interchange fees average 2% per transaction.
Not accepting credit sets you up for robbery and theft and puts your employees life more in danger. Anywhere there is cash on hand and lots of it robbery is soon to follow. Many companies went the credit route just to stop handling cash. Not to mention you have to have special arrangements to get the cash to the bank.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think the vast majority of ARCO customers pay at the pump with a debit card. Not taking credit cards is all about managing costs.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I realized I missed your comment.... WHY??!! That seems like a step backwards. I actually wished more places did it that way. Also probably cheaper than taking cash right at the pump.
Jason
Probably to save money by not needing to empty the bills out of the PayPoint and contract with a security firm to do so.

BTW, last week I saw an ARCO AM/PM in Oroville, CA posting cash vs credit prices and accepting credit cards. Since ARCO stations in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington are owned by BP, I guess BP decided to drop the ban on credit cards. The ARCO stations in Southern California, Nevada, and Arizona are now owned by Marathon after their takeover of Tesoro.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think the vast majority of ARCO customers pay at the pump with a debit card. Not taking credit cards is all about managing costs.
And pay a transaction fee of 55¢ per transaction. Though that may be gone and they will pay the new "credit" price/gallon which is much more than a flat transaction fee. I don't know exactly since the ARCOs in Oroville don't sell diesel.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Searches for the frequencies used I think. When I try it at home it finds some things that are here but doesn't flag them as anything. Haven't found anything yet with it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Searches for the frequencies used I think. When I try it at home it finds some things that are here but doesn't flag them as anything. Haven't found anything yet with it.
That sounds like it uses Bluetooth. Just turning your phone's Bluetooth on might be all that is needed. I guess we need a known installed skimmer module to test it, though.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
$0.989/l in Salmo, BC today... Wish I had of needed fuel! We haven't seen any fuel under a dollar in a loooooooooooooong time.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I drove from the Twin Cities to Decorah, Iowa, today. Diesel was around $2.19-2.24 around Rochester and further south, but in Chatfield MN near the Iowa border Cenex and Quick Trip both had diesel for $2.089 and RUG for $2.199. I waited to fill there until I was on my way back, then discovered that the Cenex fuel was the premium Roadmaster XL. So, good fuel for a cheap price. I just wish I could have added more than 8 gallons.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Had to get gs for the mower yesterday. Rug was $1.71 and D2 was $1.79 in Lake Wylie, SC. Only down a quarter of a tank in the truck, so no diesel for me.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
QT is building a new big location right next to the Murphy's near my house. These two have been the low price leaders in my area. The current QT is farther away but seems to have better performing fuel. It will be interesting to see if when this new QT opens if there is a price war between them. The poor old, old Shell across the street will more than likely close. D2 running at $1.79 at both today.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Stopped at the GEFCO station to refuel finally. Price was $1.89 a gallon. Happened to look across the street over at the 7-11 and saw this. Stopped what I was doing and drove straight over there and filled up. Went home and got my truck with 90 gallon transfer tank and filled it too! Don't know what was up but sure couldn't beat the price! Nearly 150 gallons of fuel for me to use.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Las Vegas fill up recommend

Anyone know a good place to fill up in Las Vegas to Ca. area? I just picked up a 42k mile 2008 Ford E350 6.0 diesel. Pick it up tomorrow.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Stopped at the GEFCO station to refuel finally. Price was $1.89 a gallon. Happened to look across the street over at the 7-11 and saw this. Stopped what I was doing and drove straight over there and filled up. Went home and got my truck with 90 gallon transfer tank and filled it too! Don't know what was up but sure couldn't beat the price! Nearly 150 gallons of fuel for me to use.
Probably trying to empty the tank of ancient fuel in preparation for a tank cleaning. Hopefully you didn't get any water/sludge with the fill-ups.
BTW, what does "GEFCO" stand for?

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Thanks for the positive note! Ancient fuel at either of these two stations I was at had to be at most 48 hours old as they are always open and get fuel deliveries nearly every day/morning.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Anyone know a good place to fill up in Las Vegas to Ca. area? I just picked up a 42k mile 2008 Ford E350 6.0 diesel. Pick it up tomorrow.
I am so sorry for you on that purchase! [emoji51]

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for the positive note! Ancient fuel at either of these two stations I was at had to be at most 48 hours old as they are always open and get fuel deliveries nearly every day/morning.
Well, remember the saying "If it sounds too good to be true"!
I just did a search for 7-11 diesel prices in Round Rock via Gas Buddy and the prices seemed to be in the $1.85 - $1.99 range. Maybe the price was supposed to be $1.92 but the manager entered the 9 & 2 backwards into the POS system?

Oh, GasBuddy didn't show the GEFCO station.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I couldn't find either one on GB and I use that app a lot. It didn't show the 7-11 to me and when tying to find it I couldn't. I don't know why it was so low. Lots of other places on GB though in the $1.59 to $1.60 area though. Sometimes good things do happen, but maybe not for you. Stop being a negative Nellie and put your optimist hat back on.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I am so sorry for you on that purchase! [emoji51]

Ha, the 6.0 can have its issues. I believe I got in it for the right price with ultra low miles and can sell it at a discount if I don't like it. I plan on a 4000 mile road trip soon. Besides my son was headed to L.V. anyway and can reject the purchase if it was misrepresented. Added bonus, no DPF!

Now any fuel stops recommended in Las Vegas?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Ha, the 6.0 can have its issues. I believe I got in it for the right price with ultra low miles and can sell it at a discount if I don't like it. I plan on a 4000 mile road trip soon. Besides my son was headed to L.V. anyway and can reject the purchase if it was misrepresented. Added bonus, no DPF!

Now any fuel stops recommended in Las Vegas?
Yup, I work on a lot of the 6.0 diesels. And I have done several vans. They are awful because of zero clearance to work on them. We did the injectors on one, it was a 40 hour job, due to having to pull the engine to remove the valve cover gaskets to remove the injectors... Good luck!
As far as fuel out there, I don't know.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We are in the middle of a major house cleaning and came accross the mileage book for my 2000 beetle. It was 2004 when diesel prices were as low as they got to this summer. At least here in the Carolinas.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
We are in the middle of a major house cleaning and came across the mileage book for my 2000 beetle. It was 2004 when diesel prices were as low as they got to this summer. At least here in the Carolinas.
We had similar prices for nearly all of 2016. The lowest I paid then was $1.699 in January 2016, but they stayed low for the rest of the year.