New ECU ?

Diesel'Do

Last week after driving through a large puddle the 6 month old car developed a problem.

The engine now runs unevenly and produces white smoke after cold starts.

The dealer has put the car through diagnostic tests which showed a faulty air mass meter. This has now been replaced but the symptoms remained.

After being re-diagnosed no faults are showing, however the dealer is now suggesting that a new ECU is required under warranty. Has anyone else had a similar problem

george cumber

Veteran Member
I own a golf & citroen diesels.
After all the rain we've had I drove my citroen through a large puddle after which it ran lumpy, my local citroen man done a compression test and one cylinder was down.
suspected problem Hydrulic lock caused by ingesting water. Now its open heart surguryto replace bent con rod.
Hope your's is not as serious but it is something to concider.

------------------
Compression Ignition Rules !!!

Frank TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jatta TDI- 1999 Golf TDI
Don't drive through standing water with a TDI! Lost my engine that way.

------------------
Frank TDI
1997 Jetta TDI- UPSOLUTE TB + TT Stainless
1999 Golf TDI- TB + TT Stainless

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting. The white smoke on a cold start thing isn't anything to worry about. It's just blow-by caused by cold rings. Once the engine warms a little, the rings will expand & the smoke will disappear. All diesels do it.

What exactly do you mean by "unevenly?"

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9T Manual

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
It does sound sound ominous DieselDo especially given the size of the "Puddles" here lately. But it seems almost beyond belief that a dealer could confuse an engine running on three cylinders (which would be the case) with any other symptom.

Best of luck!

Diesel'Do

They've replaced the ECU and that hasn't fixed it. They have also changed the injector in no 3 cylinder being the control one and still no change. Does anyone have any other ideas?

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
diesel'do, i sure widh you lived near me (or atleast in the same hemisphere
) i would like to chip a car that has problems such as this just to see...just to see.

the blue or white smoke is common as weedub says. take a sniff back there when you start the car and be sure it smells of diesel. does the car still run rough? can you be more specific? could it be air in the fuel lines? bad injector pump not throwing a code? un fortunately with a problem such as this, the guys of the forum can help you as much or even more then the dealer. the dealer will just keep replacing parts until it is fixed

e-mail heinz58@hotmail.com and ask him what his symptoms where when he got his injectors replaced.

and lastly, maybe start a new thread with "rough running engine" since ECU replcament might not get as much attention??

good luck
garrett P.

Diesel'Do

At last the answer,after the removal of the head the dealer has discovered that the No3 piston is 2mm lower than the other three and has a bent "con rod" due to "water ingestion".so a new short engine is the cure.Thanks for all your replys.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Glad to hear you have the problem isolated. Unfortunately, nasty things happen when water is attempted to be compressed.