Road Rally Results

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Here are the results of the road rally. Many thanks to Lawson for mapping out an excellent rally for this year.

To recap this was the route:

I was supposed to be about a 37 mile trip. And the target time was one hour and three minutes (1:03:00).

We had twenty three cars start the road rally and eighteen cars complete the entire thing, while the score keepers were still there.

1st Place: 326 Lug_Nut & Jetter_Sprinta
2nd Place: 366 Matt-98AHU & otm646
3rd Place: 424 referencedesign/469 Robert Mayercik

Miserably Lost: 269/ecodean & whitetdi05 (turned a thirty seven mile trip into well over 100 miles, getting lost, restarting, then completing the course)

Congratulations and thank-you for participating in this years Road Rally!

Results:

Car #/Username/Total Time

469/Robert Mayercik/1:03:37

360/DrTDI/DNF

499/foxiesandy/DNF

340/TeDeEye1/1:12:52

491/446/Road Reptile/1:08:24

371/nightmonkay/1:05:16

378/Sprocket/1:05:13

416/xtrooper89/DNF

356/ton/1:17:48

414/VT_hawkeye/1:00:27

367/jstn/DNF

296/ecodean/DNF(ran course twice)

347/dieseleux/1:17:21

463/juliamcglynn/1:01:54

363/misteroboto/1:17:52

380/BillCullen:1:23:17

503a/cfunderburg/0:56:21

436/RushTheBus/1:06:25

424/referencedesign/1:03:37

329/Lug_Nut/1:03:05

366/Matt-98AHU/1:03:10

361/canast/1:05:32

305/Lex4TDI4Life1:10:43

Last edited by a moderator:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Yay road rally! That's one of my all time favorite drives... I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I do.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
It was great - lovely scenery and a superb variety of roads. I enjoyed it immensely.

I was fortunate enough to be able to score a navigator at almost the last possible minute, or else I would have likely not have done anywhere near as well.

Thanks again to Blake (Blizzak) for steering me so smoothly through the course. You deserve a lot of the credit for our good finish (you did most of the work, I just drove the car).

Rob

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Hey Rob, it was good riding with you.

One thing to note about these times is that there's no way they're accurate down to the second, not even close. IIRC it was Sootman (and only him, for the whole time we were there) that was taking the times at the finish line and he was writing them down to the minute. He got pretty swamped when multiple cars came in and I had to call off some times for him. Not blaming or anything, glad we had volunteers. And Sootman had to deal with that blazing sun too - good thing he had an umbrella!

Just saying, is all. If we're going to tie another team down to a second, I would expect the times to have been taken as that accurate. But I know that's not the case - there's actually a +-59 second window here. You guys did do a great job with the route and the directions, just needed more people at the finish line and a more consistent point at which to record end times. Maybe I'll volunteer for next year.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
va_reman was supposed to be there with Sootman. :confused:

It's all for fun, there's some error in the timing and scoring... 'tis the nature of the beast. :)

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Hold on there - Dean & I did finish the rally - We called Lawson that we were lost, but drove back to the starting line, followed the rally directions, called Lawson again when we reached the parking lot. Dean said we should've showed the route on our GPS; it was almost a solid color screen !
Our clock started at 3:41 and at 5:50 we drove the long parking lot road, with 109miles on the odometer. That counts as finishing!
We had fun, the scenery & topography were worth the ride. Thanks Lawson!

Last edited:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Last place in the Show and Shine conversions category,
a dismal 47 mpg in the mileage challenge,
and now you dismiss our standings in the rally as nothing more than just random or inherent data acquisition error?:(

;)

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
whitetdi05 said:
Hold on there - Dean & I did finish the rally - We called Lawson that we were lost, but drove back to the starting line, followed the rally directions, called Lawson again when we reached the parking lot. Dean said we should've showed the route on our GPS; it was almost a solid color screen !
Our clock started at 3:41 and at 5:50 we drove the long parking lot road, with 109miles on the odometer. That counts as finishing!
We had fun, the scenery & topography were worth the ride. Thanks Lawson!
All I said is you did not finish while a score keeper was there.;)

I gave you credit for turning the course into a 100 mile event!:p

canast

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Bright Green. Retired - 2003 Red Beetle GLS, deer got it.
Ah, eighth place. Here I thought I was going to fast and slowed down at the end. At least the way my passenger was getting worried about me hitting someone coming over some rises or around some corners. Or when we passed the speed trap on the parkway. I will probably over compensate next year and get there early. But am saving the map in case I ever get to DC with my TDI, that was fun!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
canast said:
Or when we passed the speed trap on the parkway.
I still expect to have a DC metro speeding ticket in my mail some day soon....:eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
If they didn't actually pull you over, then you won't get any tickets. They installed a speed camera on the northbound side of the parkway by the airport (and a couple of other locations) several years ago, but never activated them.

If you did get a ticket, it's a federal speeding ticket because the entire GW Parkway is under federal jurisdiction.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
Lug_Nut said:
Last place in the Show and Shine conversions category,
a dismal 47 mpg in the mileage challenge,
and now you dismiss our standings in the rally as nothing more than just random or inherent data acquisition error?:(

;)
Sore winner! ;)

That was fun!! Jon was well trained for driving those awesome twisty hills since that is what he lives in here in Central Massachusetts. And I loved the opportunity to read the directions and be a real back seat driver!!

Great route and like the rest of the Fest, very well organized. Sootman, are your ears still ringing from those planes? :eek:

Ton

Veteran Member
TDI
early 2001 jetta
VeeDubTDI said:
If they didn't actually pull you over, then you won't get any tickets. They installed a speed camera on the northbound side of the parkway by the airport (and a couple of other locations) several years ago, but never activated them.

If you did get a ticket, it's a federal speeding ticket because the entire GW Parkway is under federal jurisdiction.
I loved the road rally -the speed trap did scare me a little bit.

SnowWife

Veteran Member
TDI
E300 DT (sold), E320 CDI, Gassers
VeeDubTDI said:
va_reman was supposed to be there with Sootman. :confused:

It's all for fun, there's some error in the timing and scoring... 'tis the nature of the beast. :)
Who organized those volunteers? They should be scorned and ridiculed :D . Being at the end of the Road Rally was not an easy job to fill. It was va-reman and sootman as far as I knew. Oh well next year assign 6 people so when 2 drop out at fest (I know they had good reasons) we will still have 4 volunteers. Maybe we should have offered them beer or raffle tickets...we would have had a wicked long list of volunteers then ;)

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Pretty much also found myself using the GPS on my Blackberry to make sure we could find the finish - I was a navigator.