Toyota will phase out diesels in European passenger cars this year

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Toyota enters the next phase of its European powertrain strategy

Strong customer demand for HEV versions on its core models means Toyota will phase out diesel engines from all its passenger cars in 2018.
Toyota’s HEV mix in passenger cars already equalled our diesel mix in 2015. Since then, HEV sales substantially exceed our diesel sales. In commercial vehicles, where personal & business needs (e.g. Torque & Payload) remain, we will continue to offer the latest technology diesels.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Considering only 15% of their cars sold were diesels and 37% were hybrids in 2016, it makes sense... It's crazy that in 2007, just 11 years ago, 41% of Toyota's sold in Europe were diesel

At least BMW holds strong at 74% of cars sold in 2016 being diesel, and even more shocking, Volvo, who wants only EVs and hybrids by 2019 had a diesel turnover of 83%, the highest out of any manufacture!

I got the numbers from here, a very interesting read

https://www.theicct.org/publications/european-vehicle-market-statistics-20172018

bhtooefr

TDI
None
And they had basically abandoned passenger car diesel development - the 1ND-TV was ancient and never great to begin with from what I understand, and the 1WW and 2WW were just rebadged BMW engines.

They do still do diesels for heavier applications - their trucks get the 1GD/2GD-FTV, for instance.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
What I find interesting is they threw the land cruiser in the commercial category, even though it's a passenger SUV... Still this quite big news, I think they will be the first automaker in Europe to not offer a diesel in passenger vehicles (less land cruiser), unless I'm forgetting someone who also doesn't offer diesel

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Land Cruiser is a SUV, though, not a passenger car, is the point, though. Sure, it might be designed to take passengers inside, but it's also designed to take a big trailer outside. It's a truck with more seats, not a car.

(Ultimately, I think they should switch to a high-efficiency gasoline engine and hybridize it, too, but...)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
At least BMW holds strong at 74% of cars sold in 2016 being diesel, and even more shocking, Volvo, who wants only EVs and hybrids by 2019 had a diesel turnover of 83%, the highest out of any manufacture![/url]
I think you misread Volvo's press release. The wording is a bit vague, but what they say is that they don't want to develop new diesel (and gas) engines, but they fully expect to be a diesel-majority brand in Europe for the next decade. This was also clarified in recent interviews with Volvo managers.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
If European cities begin to outright ban diesels, like many are considering, then the days of diesel vehicles are numbered.

This is without taking into account the consequences of dieselgate starting with VW and currently knocking on Benz's doors. Any negative outcome will only hasten diesel's demise.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
If European cities begin to outright ban diesels, like many are considering, then the days of diesel vehicles are numbered.

This is without taking into account the consequences of dieselgate starting with VW and currently knocking on Benz's doors. Any negative outcome will only hasten diesel's demise.
If they have any sense, and lately there doesn't seem to be much going around, they might realize that ALL internal combustion causes emissions (I know that is obvious, but you know how Orwell felt about this ha ha) and that modern gasoline hybrids pollute more than modern diesels.

My brother in France says they imitate the US economically and politically but 15 years later. That's about right with this anti-diesel nonsense.

TM

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting. Going from about 1% market share for full electrics to 100% in 12 years. That would also add another 10 years for them to eliminate all IC engines off the roads I suppose. We'll see. In the meantime, clean diesels are a great interim solution IMO.

TM

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
We are in the last phases of the combustion engine for general automotive use. To meet emissions standards the systems have gotten more expensive and complex - DPFs, ULSD, numerous sensors, etc while electric vehicles are on the steep slope of improvement. It's a transition phase like any other - horse to steam, steam to ICE, etc

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
EV's if at all like Tesla will be "remote control" statist dream machines.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Actually EVs are coming around again, since they were popular in the early 1900s. Better roads, gas stations and the electric starter are what did them in.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/25/38-percent-american-cars-electric-1900/
Ya, that was because the gas engine vehicle was difficult to operate, not because the EV were so great then lol (low speed and poor range compared with ga engines). Early gas engines had to have each cylinder primed, hand-crank, and god help you if the timing is off because it'll back fire and the crank will break your wrist (chauffeur's fracture).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I don't know how many lead acid batteries it took, but some of those early EV's had much better range than you'd think. Much of the country had yet to be electrified though, so recharging on trips could be a challenge.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Another thing Toyota is apparently phasing out: Automatic transmissions in non-hybrids.

The new RAV4 is manual transmission only, unless you go for the more expensive hybrid.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Whereas in the US, your powertrain choices are 2.5 gasoline with 8-speed automatic, or 2.5 hybrid with power split device.