ALH Low Power - NOT limp mode

ShaferDiesel

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta
I've been struggling with extremely low power on a 2000 NB ALH automatic. It's a low mileage car, just barely over 100k, starts and sounds just beautiful. However it has extremely low power. I've done all the usual, VGT is free, N75 is good, 700 mg/st mass air flow full throttle, actual boost follows specified boost very nicely, boosts to 2050 mbar. Coolant temps are good, everything just looks right, but there is something limiting injection quantity to a hard limit of 25mg/st, no more, no less. All limiters are at 51mg/st after boost comes up,theres nothing I can see in VCDS that's in the way at 25mg/st. What could be going on?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
What's your IQ reading? Have you adjusted the IQ with vagcom or hammer mod?

How old is the fuel filter

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Is the field set at 32768?
Is your soft coding 1

Have you pulled the sender out of the tank to see if it's stopped up?

Do you have traction control? Forgive me I'm not very well versed in autos...

Have you done an auto scan with vagcom? You might have a code that don't trip a CEL...my door lock did that and now my interior lights work all the time

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Have you changed the oil? Does it look unusually clean? Reason I ask is I have run across several ALHs over the years that had injectors messed up and not moving enough fuel. Cars ran fine otherwise, just lethargic power delivery, way underfueling. The injectors (nozzles) were the culprit. But what I found out on two of them is that they were underfueling so much the oil never got black. Had the injectors rebuilt with new nozzles, and they ran great and the oil was black within a couple minutes.

ShaferDiesel

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta
I've seen that too, but this one is in the computer, it literally hits a limit at 25 mg/st and won't command any more fuel. It should fuel to around 48 mg/st IIRC. Anyone have any ideas what I should log and willing to look at the logs?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Try unplugging your MAF
I thought the MAF should read more than that at full potato.

Last edited:
TDI
2003 Golf
Clogged intake

Sounds like the exact same problem I had with my 03. Pull the EGR off and take a look inside.....you’ll know immediately of you have a logged intake which is all too common!

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Did you check measurement groups 008,9 for torque limit requests? Also check 02 auto box for ratio sanity and/or perform a driving test.

Bmangdog

TDI
2003 golf 5spd
I am having a similar problem and i am somewhat ignorant when it comes to numbers on my Vag Com. My Iq and everything is stock. But my car isnt reaching desired boost until about 2500 rpm. Almost like the car isnt making sufficient vaccum. I checked mechanical fuel timing and it is dead on. Is there any other ideas you guys have?

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I am having a similar problem and i am somewhat ignorant when it comes to numbers on my Vag Com. My Iq and everything is stock. But my car isnt reaching desired boost until about 2500 rpm. Almost like the car isnt making sufficient vaccum. I checked mechanical fuel timing and it is dead on. Is there any other ideas you guys have?
Did you check how much vacuum it is producing?

How much boost is it producing?

Check if the vacuum is getting to the actuator on the turbo & how much.

Use a vacuum pump to make sure the actuator holds vacuum and the arm going into the turbo starts to move at 3 inches (or so) vacuum and max at 19 inches (or so)

The arm should also move smoothly.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Op sounds like you have a clogged intake, or a shutter valve that's not moving fully due to carbon build up.

Bmandog, there is a lot of work to do to figure out what to do.
Check intake for clogging and actuator for movement as well as vacuum and the maf.
Could be one, or more of those possibilities.
Usually is, unplug the maf and see if it changes.

N75 actuator control valve is a likely culprit as well, but that's vacuum.

Bmangdog

TDI
2003 golf 5spd
I've checked for vacum from N75 to the actuator and it holds 25 in/hg no problem. Vacum pump is producing 28 in/mg at idle as well. Intake is perfectly clean as well. I have checked whole fuel system from in tank to IP. I have deleted snow screen, New fuel filter, New air filter, Verified IQ is perfect. I have data logged and sent to kerma TDI to look over, etc etc.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you done an auto scan yet?

And have you tried driving with the MAF unplugged?