SAD times for my 2012 JSW.. Lemon law'ed

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
Looks like I will be having (needing) reluctently returning my JSW to VW. under lemmon law.

4 repair attempts so far on a yellow check engine light 2 11k miles with more than 1000 "test" miles and over 2 weeks in shop with no loaners.:mad::mad: I cant take the risk of it returning after warranty.:eek:

luckily I am not soured on VW YET... things happen especially with these new diesels.

My Lawyer assures me I have a "great case, with excellent documentation" she deals with VW allot!:rolleyes:

If VW does not buy back my car, and only offer exchange, I think this time I might go for a Golf tech Package. If they just buy it back I might just stick with my tuned 03' 5sp wag:cool:n

or should I just bail on VW all together?:confused:

I have had a few TDI's with no / minimal problems.

Last edited:

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
wow that sucks, dealer could not even give you a loaner, if you do not need the room a golf is a richer car by that I mean better equipped, hope they do right by you keep us informed.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
Make them buy it back and drive your wagon till the new ones comes out.
Yea I don't forsee that being offered.

or should I just bail on VW all together?:confused:
You bought a new car that spent a good amount of time in the shop with a company that was so kind as to NOT provide you a loaner in the meantime and you're asking ME if you should give them another chance? First time, shame on VW. Next time? ...You

veedubfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 golf
Bad dealer. Every time I've had any issues with my cars, or even just routine maintenance that was going to take more than 2-3 hours I got a loaner.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I like my JSW better than the Golf. My wife says it the other way around. For anything other than routine maintenance, I've been offered a loaner. The shuttle works fine for me and we've got an extra car, so I've usually turned down the loaner.

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
new ones coming out?.. hmm maybe wait grr.

I will be buying from a better dealer..... IF I get another
allot has to do with what my lawyer can get me.. shees prepared to go to trial if need be.

IMAA: I agree with you! but i really liked the jetta.. while it worked (and i WAYY overpaid so i would save a TON more using a different dealer
im having thoughts of an 04 Touraeg v10 tdi?

KJ-- why do you like the JSW better?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
KJ-- why do you like the JSW better?
I find the seats in the JSW more comfortable. The seats in the Golf are much firmer and the seat bottom angles up under the thighs. I have to play with the seat highth more to find a comfortable spot to drive. The backseat of the wagen is very slightly more comfortable than the Golf.

JSW also has smaller blind spots. With a slightly softer ride, the JSW is a more comfortable cruising car while the Golf really asks to be pushed through all those twists and turns.

exstasie

TDI
'13 VW Golf 4dr 2.0TDI
Bad dealer. Every time I've had any issues with my cars, or even just routine maintenance that was going to take more than 2-3 hours I got a loaner.
I was going to say that it might be an issue with the dealer, and not necessarily VW.

Black11TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (Gone But not Forgotten), 2013 Tiguan SE 4 Motion
Just went thru the same deal with an 08 Jetta 2.5, with a noise internal to the engine at 3800 RPM, 5 times in the shop with one lasting 3 months, 10k in replaced parts, no Lemon Law though, I went thru Customer Care and the dealer and worked a bargain, they paid my car off even though I owed a bit more then trade value, as long as I went with a newer model VW and upgraded. So basically I was able to purchase my TDI Golf like I didn't have a trade in. Good Luck!

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
Just went thru the same deal with an 08 Jetta 2.5, with a noise internal to the engine at 3800 RPM, 5 times in the shop with one lasting 3 months, 10k in replaced parts, no Lemon Law though, I went thru Customer Care and the dealer and worked a bargain, they paid my car off even though I owed a bit more then trade value, as long as I went with a newer model VW and upgraded. So basically I was able to purchase my TDI Golf like I didn't have a trade in. Good Luck!
thats good to hear!! glad you got what you wanted/ made you happy

I have hopes for something similar (if i cant get a buy back)
even if i do get a buyback, I will go to a far more reputable dealer I have recently found. and save allot more money on the price who will actually sell at or Below MSRP and NOT have a "regional adjustment " of 5k!!!

Though about Customer care but from my working experience in GM customer "care" I thought that would take way way to long and much more hassle, appointments, inspections ect. ect.

i just want to be done with it and get another car from another dealer or buyback

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
5,000 US DOLLARS regional adjustment? They didn't just see you coming, they knew when you left home! Sticker PLUS $5,000 is.....somewhere around 15% upcharge.

Go see member 3193, fly out there (PA?) and drive a new one home (cross-country road trip!!). BTW, the price will be under MSRP.

Bill

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
5,000 US DOLLARS regional adjustment? They didn't just see you coming, they knew when you left home! Sticker PLUS $5,000 is.....somewhere around 15% upcharge.

Go see member 3193, fly out there (PA?) and drive a new one home (cross-country road trip!!). BTW, the price will be under MSRP.

Bill
HAH yea I know.. they didn't get it from me, but tried VERY hard.. still over MSRP though...

and YES I have contacted Chris (vw Langhorn?) i will likley hold out for a 14' golf now that I have seen/ read reviews of them)

already made that mistake once with my Vette!!:mad:

Last edited:

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
If it's truly a lemon law issue, it should be pretty straightforward. Assuming your experience qualifies under your state's law, following the prescribed protocol should net you what you desire: a buyback of your vehicle for what you paid for it, all costs included. There may be other accompanying offers that might otherwise sound attractive except that you seem to have overpaid for what you purchased. Filing officially under the lemon law will likely result in VW approaching you rather than risk having a lemon law casualty "on their record" if the process runs its course. Just get all your documentation of repair work and loss of vehicle use time together and you should be sitting pretty.

Good luck.

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
**UPDATE**
for those of you that were curious...
the last attempt to repair the CEL involved replacing the whole o2 wiring harness and sensors and a re-program on computer and 600 mile test drive!!

Good news..
the problem has not returned!!
looks like I can keep the current JSW!!

As far as the lemon law goes.. they would not buy it back, since it was NOT a safety problem and did not affect drivability or any other tangible aspect of the car other than the light. BUT I did get a nice check for $4,500 and an extra year of warranty.
plus 1500 for legal "fees"
i'm ok with that.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
If it's truly a lemon law issue, it should be pretty straightforward. Assuming your experience qualifies under your state's law, following the prescribed protocol should net you what you desire: a buyback of your vehicle for what you paid for it, all costs included. There may be other accompanying offers that might otherwise sound attractive except that you seem to have overpaid for what you purchased. Filing officially under the lemon law will likely result in VW approaching you rather than risk having a lemon law casualty "on their record" if the process runs its course. Just get all your documentation of repair work and loss of vehicle use time together and you should be sitting pretty.

Good luck.

I don't think it is that simple. Just like there are variances in qualification of a lemon, the terms and how it is handled also vary state to state. The whole enchilada all depends on the state's law in other words...not just what qualifies a car as a lemon but every state handles the corrective actions the same otherwise. In fact MOST states will not allow you a full buyback of everything you paid. Most states have provisions to subtract money for time and/or miles of 'fair use' which could cost you a good bit, and on the replacement side, another popular gotcha is they may only be required to replace it with a vehicle of similar year and miles, not necessarily an automatic brand new exact replacement.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I was offered a low cash settlement on my golf that kept eating up dpf and egr filters . I declined and then was offered a replacement which they built to my specs. I paid the difference between msrp on my car and the replacement and got to drive it for one year and 35k miles before my new car was ready(whole process took 6 months).

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
I don't think it is that simple. Just like there are variances in qualification of a lemon, the terms and how it is handled also vary state to state. The whole enchilada all depends on the state's law in other words...not just what qualifies a car as a lemon but every state handles the corrective actions the same otherwise. In fact MOST states will not allow you a full buyback of everything you paid. Most states have provisions to subtract money for time and/or miles of 'fair use' which could cost you a good bit, and on the replacement side, another popular gotcha is they may only be required to replace it with a vehicle of similar year and miles, not necessarily an automatic brand new exact replacement.
Here in Oregon IF there was a buy back It would have been for the contract price (overpaid or under) minus XX for millage deduction.
then you do what you want with the money. They dont do trades or exchanges.

rolling18,

Which dealer?
was DICK:p Hannah VW in Vancouver WA.
Thank you,

Btw I should have researched more and bought at Armstrong VW in Oregon City where they sell all cars under MSRP;)
or the Dealer in PA (langhorn)??? hees good guy on the forums here
Rob - patiently waiting to buy a vii.

dspencer

TDI
03 jetta GL 5sp silver
Good for you Rolling. My daughter's 2011 JSW had the same type of problem. A recurring fuel regulator kept going out and the dealer we bought the car through took it back and they replaced the regulator twice in several months time only to have the light come back on again.
This was a used car with 94k on it when we bought it last summer. Anyway the dealer contacted VW and they agreed to change out the fuel rail to try to resolve the problem. When that did not work they had the wiring harness replaced and its been 4 months since so we are hoping its problem solved.

Hurray for VW. They stepped up on our car even well after our warranty had gone out.

rolling18

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetter 5 Sp.
Good for you Rolling. My daughter's 2011 JSW had the same type of problem. A recurring fuel regulator kept going out and the dealer we bought the car through took it back and they replaced the regulator twice in several months time only to have the light come back on again.
This was a used car with 94k on it when we bought it last summer. Anyway the dealer contacted VW and they agreed to change out the fuel rail to try to resolve the problem. When that did not work they had the wiring harness replaced and its been 4 months since so we are hoping its problem solved.

Hurray for VW. They stepped up on our car even well after our warranty had gone out.
NIICE im impressed you got that much service out of the dealer for a used car espically with 94k!! .. was it covered under warranty of some kind?

jeffjeja

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Agreed. However, manufacturers are generally loath to have an "official" lemon addition on their record. They will therefore often go beyond what the state's lemon law would otherwise dictate in their offer to the owner if they are confident the vehicle qualifies as a lemon.
I'm glad the OP got the situation resolved and is satisfied.