Is it worth it ?

Eric64

I have to ask you guys Is it worth to buy amsoil syntetic diesel oil ? when I can get new petro canada 5w40 for half the price. I should say that if most of you think that amsoil is much better then I'll buy amsoil , any comments are welcome .

lifer

Veteran Member
If your going to use standard drain intervals
go with the petro canada oil. Both oils are fine for 10k.

M

mickey

Amsoil is much better. In my opinion it is NOT cost effective for standard drain intervals, however.

I'm talking about the top-of-the-line Series 3000, though. They have a CH-4 rated 10w40 full synthetic that would be excellent, and is priced about halfway between the Petro Canada blend and the Series 3000. That's worthwhile, I think. Being full synthetic its cold weather flow properties are probably comparable to the 5w30 blend.

-mickey

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
If you are going to stick with the standard 10k mile 15km drain interval you are probably going to be just fine using either the Petro Canada Duron Synthetic 5W-40, or their Duron XL 0W-30. I've been using the Duron XL 0W-30 for a while now, very very favorable results.

If you are considering extending your drain intervals or absolutely want THE best stuff in there get the Amsoil 5W-30. Their 10W-40 is a good option too.

But that said it would be hard to go wrong with the Petro Canda Duron Synthetic 5W-40 (the 0W-30 is better IMHO though it has some PAO mixed in with the Group III)