Prophylactic check on my “DARK” engine oil

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB

Just in case anyone wondered how you got the oil from the can into the motor.

(and note that usually those spouts would hang around covered with oil and collect dust)

Last edited:

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
(and note that usually those spouts would hang around covered with oil and collect dust)
You always wrapped them in a rag (old tshirt) that would eventually become saturated with oil and collect dust.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver

Just in case anyone wondered how you got the oil from the can into the motor.

Thanks for the PICs

Remember this well

Pop had a Texaco Service Station

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Of course cars were a lot simpler in those days. Still if you needed say an engine rebuild, tranny/differential rebuild, body work or an alignment you would go somewhere else. Oh, and working at a SS was close to minimum wage.

Remember the air cooled Corvairs? Back in the day I heard of some station jockey thinking the oil fill was for coolant and filled some poor guys air cooled Corvair engine up with water. The oil fill did sorta look like it was for a cooling system.

One time"Mike" didn't get a van on the lift right and it starts to slip off while it's up in the air. He goes running over and is trying to hold the van from falling off the lift while yelling "Let it down !!!" While letting it down, I yelled back at him "get out of there before you get crushed!!!"

No, Mike didn't get killed that day. Fortunately Darwin must have been on break.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>
Remember the air cooled Corvairs? Back in the day I heard of some station jockey thinking the oil fill was for coolant and filled some poor guys air cooled Corvair engine up with water. The oil fill did sorta look like it was for a cooling system.
<snip>.
The mechanic at the Texaco station where I took my first car (not a Corvair) for work got a lot of Corvair customers. He told me a secret to keeping them running well: inspecting the air cooling system and keeping it and the fins clean. Apart from lawn mowers, probably the only air cooled engines most mechanics saw besides the Corvair were VWs.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Apart from lawn mowers, probably the only air cooled engines most mechanics saw besides the Corvair were VWs.
I think you're forgetting the air-cooled porsches, all motorcycles, deutz tractors, and a variety of other applications. My uncle worked at a service station in the sixties and personally owned both a corvair and a Porsche 912.

marinetech

TDI
audi
yes that seems legit diesel engines allways turn the oil black after the engine has been started. well unless they are very new, you can get the oil a bit clearer with very frequent oil changing but its nothing to worry about especially if you use good quality lubricant

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Oil used to even come in metal cans lads, then the cardboard/paper cans then plastic. Never saw the glass bottles. Diesels will turn oil black like road tar in just starting an engine after an oil change, that's the way they are. And there are folks who have apparently never heard of the metric system either. A lad asked his dad what a liter was so he could put the correct amount in his motorcycle, and dad said "about a gallon". Trying to get a gallon or two of oil into a bike that called for a liter and a half or so didn't work, but made a gawdawful mess.

Last edited: