Oil change, now engine will not start

smokecitytdi

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, Package 1, DSG Auto
Yesterday I had the oil changed (15k) on my 2006 TDI at the dealership. I drove approx. 10 miles stopped at a Sam's club then another 10 miles home and parked it in the garage. The car ran perfect, as always.

Today it's not starting.
While the engine is turning over the oil pressure light starts to flash and I get the 3 warning sounds. The oil is at the correct level on the dip stick.

Any ideas? Wires to check? Wrong oil at the dealer?

wgargan

Veteran Member
TDI
4 door golf, 2000, black
bad oil pump? coincidence it happend after an oil change?

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
The engine is not cranking fast enough to start. Charge the battery or call roadside assistance. Have the dealer look it over for bad grounds that keep the battery from charging sufficiently. You may even need a new battery.. (All of this is warranty work, even the tow)

I am wondering why you are changing oil at 15,000 miles? It was scheduled at 5,000 and 10,000. But the next one wasn't due untill 20,000.

Good luck!

Bill

smokecitytdi

TDI
The battery doesn't seem weak, same as always. Engine turning over fast.

No signs of starting.

Could the wrong oil cause a problem after 20 miles?

WOW! I could have saved 75.00 if I looked at the service manual. I saw the 15,000 service sticker in the windshield and took it to the dealer.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Check your service order and see if the dealer used the right oil. Yes the dealers always put on the wrong sticker. I peel it off the winshield and go by the manual. The dealers are out to make a buck$!

turk90210

TDI
ford Galaxy 1.9pd,golf est 1.9tdi
I think the oil light flashing and the warning sounds are a bit of a red herring as over here we get the same if the engine doesn't start. usually its time to stop cranking when that happens and give the starter a rest. I think you need to do the basic checks first ie immobilizer,fuel ect and trace from there.
We do have some cars here that wont start if there is low oil pressure ect but not on the vw market , its usually on the high spec cars

slpopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB GLS TDI DSG
My '05 bug is doing something similar. How long have you tried cranking on it. On my bug I have to crank at least 15 seconds straight before it starts to sputter and then run. Sometimes it takes me 2 attempts before it starts. My bug has to sit at least 10 hours before it will act up like this. Seems to me that the fuel is draining back into the tank.

The dealer already replaced the lift pump but it didn't help. There was a slight groaning noise coming from under the hood when this problem first started, but a day after they replaced the lift pump the noise ceased. The groaning noise was still there the day they replaced the lift pump, but went away the next morning.

The car is back at the dealer again as it still doesn't want to start after sitting a while. They have had it since May 29th, but they have been battling some other issues the car has with the help of VW headquarters, so I don't know if they are looking into these other issues further (more testing) or if they are having a hard time finding the no-starting cause.

Smokecitytdi, I will post back here if I find out what is causing my no-start situation if you don't find out what is causing your's first.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
either you have an leaking fuel filter or or clog in the tank strainer ... slpopp

Smokecitytdi... your problem sounds like either an bad lift pump or your battery/start weak or your crank speed sensor not picking up on the rpms correctly.. also one time i had an oil change done to my wifes car and they pinched the oring putting the oil filter in and it drove for about 35 miles before the oil pump gave out... long story... jiffy lube had to pay the bill of an replacement engine after i showed them excess wear from lack of oil.....

smokecitytdi

TDI
Today, 08:39 AM #8 slpopp vbmenu_register("postmenu_1744159", true);
Veteran Member

My '05 bug is doing something similar. How long have you tried cranking on it. On my bug I have to crank at least 15 seconds straight before it starts to sputter and then run. Sometimes it takes me 2 attempts before it starts. My bug has to sit at least 10 hours before it will act up like this. Seems to me that the fuel is draining back into the tank.

I took every one's advice, especially slpopp. I checked which oil was put in the car, the battery, wires, leaks etc....Nothing appeared wrong..

On the first try today, and last chance before calling for a tow...I turned the key on for approximately 1 minute (fuel pressure) and cranked it for 20 seconds until it started to sputter (did not sputter at all yesterday) then it fired up, sounding the same as always....?????? Also, no oil light today????

I'm off for a Sunday drive... (I might not turn it off until I get home)

Thanks to all for responding so quickly.....

Last edited:

slpopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB GLS TDI DSG
storx said:
either you have an leaking fuel filter or or clog in the tank strainer ... slpopp

Smokecitytdi... your problem sounds like either an bad lift pump or your battery/start weak or your crank speed sensor not picking up on the rpms correctly.. also one time i had an oil change done to my wifes car and they pinched the oring putting the oil filter in and it drove for about 35 miles before the oil pump gave out... long story... jiffy lube had to pay the bill of an replacement engine after i showed them excess wear from lack of oil.....

The fuel filter itself can be eliminated because they changed that the same time they changed the lift pump. They cleaned the entire fuel tank and fuel system also because they said I had a small amount fungus growing, because of the bio-diesel (2% mandate in Minnesota). They also added some type of a fuel treatment when they drained the tank and added 6 gallons of new fuel.

This car is now on it's 4th fuel filter in 30,000 miles. All of them were replaced under warranty.

slpopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB GLS TDI DSG
smokecitytdi said:
Today, 08:39 AM #8 slpopp vbmenu_register("postmenu_1744159", true);
Veteran Member

I took every one's advice, especially slpopp. I checked which oil was put in the car, the battery, wires, leaks etc....Nothing appeared wrong..

On the first try today, and last chance before calling for a tow...I turned the key on for approximately 1 minute (fuel pressure) and cranked it for 20 seconds until it started to sputter (did not sputter at all yesterday) then it fired up, sounding the same as always....?????? Also, no oil light today????

I don't think that leaving the key on for a minute before starting is gaining you anything. Someone here can probably confirm this, but on my car the lift pump only runs for a second or two and then shuts off. I belive the lift pump will not continue to run unless the car is running, I don't know if the lift pump will start back up while cranking the engine - but it's possible that it does.

My car is still at the dealer and I haven't heard anything yet. I may give them a jingle tomorrow if I don't hear from them before I get off of work.

Uncle_Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon A4 Silver
I had a problem like this but with my old Rabbit. It was suggested that I crack the fuel line to an injector to see if I WAS pumping fuel.

On the TDI there is a valve that will shut off the fuel. Voltage?

Check the fuel for water?

I have started to look around for a dealer that has a mechanic that actually owns his own TDI, well even a Diesel Truck. It is my personal belief that these are different from gas, and only someone who owns one will figure it out in a reasonable amount of time.

I just bought a small bottle of UV dye at NAPA to put in my daughter's VW. She has been losing oil. Drive around and any fuel leak will show up with the use of a BLACK light. $4 Not to expensive, but might be cheaper than VW Labour. And much more fun.

If all else fails put the old filter back on. We know that it worked. Could be that the holes through the thing are clogged. Always good to keep the old parts for a few days, just in case. So you get a new filter and try it.

Have you pulled the cove off the engine to have a good looK - see?

Keep at it. Then you can talk to VW. and to the rest of us.

Uncle_Dave

Uncle_Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon A4 Silver
I now have 120k miles on my TDI. I have had some interesting problems.

First. 5K oil changes are good. Keep on top of things. Expensive? How much for a new engine?

How about a fuel pressure gage? Be careful on the capilary tube. It can flex and break. But then you know what the oil pressure is.

Just because it is a dealer, does not mean that the kids know what they are doing.

When stopping for fuel, ask around.

I work for a TV station. This morning I saw a bit done on the price of Gas, going out of sight. Yes, the price of gas is going up. But then I noticed that the nozel that they were moving around was GREEN. Green is Kerosine. Yellow is Low Sulfur Diesel (HAZMAT) RED is gas. Here at the pumps that I use, Diesel has gone from the Highest price to the Lowest in about three weeks. Look for your self. At the staition there are those large disks on the ground. Watch the trucks come and dump the fuel. Color coded. Si Si when you ask. Hope the Senor is not Color blind.

slpopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB GLS TDI DSG
smokecitytdi said:

Did you get the problem fixed yet? I assume you know this is a potentially damaging problem if left unfixed.

My car has been at the dealer since May 29th. They think they have the problem narrowed down to the tandem pump. Not sure if they are just wating for a part or what. They also said it appears that one of my injectors is not firing properly.

Gee - I think I told them, about a year and a half ago, that the car sounded like one of the cylinders was firing different than the other three and that it gets into a cyclic buzzing noise at interstate speeds.:mad:

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
It's under warranty, Have roadside assistance tow it back to the dealer and let them fix it!