red dash light indicator w/ 3 beeps, help please

alayos

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
recently ive had this red light come on, on the hud, looks like a thermometer with 2 little fluid level squiggles below it... it also beeps 3 times when it comes on. It is in the upper left most position on the hud "rectangle" below the spedo tack cluster.
this is a 2000 jetta tdi standard tranny... no mods

the coolant level is just fine

the oil level is within range also...

i cannot pull any codes from this light comein on

someone please enlighten me to what this is and what it means

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Your description is a bit hasey, but I think you need to fill your windshield washer fluid tank. But you could also need coolant. Do you have a owners manual to refer to? The one for the washer fluid looks like a windshield with the fluid squirting out. The other for coolant is like, well like the "international automotive coolant level sign", two water levels with a line coming upright out of it? Maybe some one has a pic of it

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
alayos said:
recently ive had this red light come on, on the hud, looks like a thermometer with 2 little fluid level squiggles below it... it also beeps 3 times when it comes on. It is in the upper left most position on the hud "rectangle" below the spedo tack cluster.
this is a 2000 jetta tdi standard tranny... no mods

the coolant level is just fine

the oil level is within range also...

i cannot pull any codes from this light comein on

someone please enlighten me to what this is and what it means
That is the warning for overheating or low coolant. You verified the coolant and I guess you did not overheat the car. In that case, the culprit is likely the coolant temperature sensor going wonky. Do a search, there are tons of posts on that.
Make sure you check which sensor you have, before ordering a replacement. There are black, blue and green ones and the main difference is the electrical connector (round-ish vs. square)!!
Replacement is straightforward. It is not expensive, either and may also fix other problems that you have (e.g. do you notice that your car cranks just a little bit longer when cold starting etc.).
Order the sensor with a new O-ring and new retaining clip. also have a bit of G12 coolant handy when you replace the sensor.

alayos

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
Powder Hound said:
HUD = heads up display. Didn't know there was a Jetta with one of these.
??? thanks for your useless imput on my problem smartass, i was using HUD as a general term instead of calling it a spedo instrument cluster panel blinky light thingy, there is no need for you to flaunt around threads pointing out "mistakes" trying to sound smart

anyway...
Update

my problem went away for a while.... then that light went off again today... the weather here in east texas was getting hotter (and no light problem) and now its cool again (nice and cool today) for the time being so i know its not an overheating problem....
No it isnt the windsheild washer fluid... i know what that looks like.. that symbol is a little more obvious lol.... plus its yellow i think and its on the upper right in the HUD rectangle.
Just changed the oil and checked the coolant level.... its perfect... no leaks... i even checked around my coolant heater (which was installed at the begining of october)

Im begining to think it is the coolant sensor.... if it is then it will get replaced later cuz im flat broke.... car is acting/responding just fine.. no apparent/obvious problems. The engine purs (or as well as a diesel can pur) just like the day it was tuned from the new TB.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
alayos said:
Im begining to think it is the coolant sensor.... if it is then it will get replaced later cuz im flat broke.... car is acting/responding just fine.. no apparent/obvious problems. The engine purs (or as well as a diesel can pur) just like the day it was tuned from the new TB.
You can do the ostrich thing, but be aware that the computer bases some of it's functions from input it receives from the coolant temp sensor. Might be functioning less than optimally. They're $14 from tdiparts.com.

http://tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=351

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Look carefully at the coolant level sensor on the expansion tank. Pull the connector off and look for any hint of dried coolant or wetness. If you see anything, do a search for 'coolant migration'.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
alayos said:
??? thanks for your useless imput on my problem smartass, i was using HUD as a general term instead of calling it a spedo instrument cluster panel blinky light thingy, there is no need for you to flaunt around threads pointing out "mistakes" trying to sound smart
There is no reason for you to feel insulted if the english language is not your native tongue.

jaca

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDi 2013, 6speed Highline. 2003 Jetta TDi station wagon, 5speed
If problem disapers after engine is warmed up.You might have simply bit too low coolant level in coolant reservoir. Check coolant lavel on cold engine. j

alayos

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi
this light beeped and flashed again when i turned the car on today...

ive already done the migration thing

thanks for the part reference, 14 dollars aint all that bad

and mabe i should have called it a heads down display lol, and i am german by the way :)

Last edited: