VW cargo liner or Gorilla Gear cargo mat?

vwbrd

TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Anthracite Blue
I think my first accessory for my Golf will be a liner for the cargo area. I take my dogs back there sometimes, as well as a pocketbike that occasionally leaks fuel, which I don't want to reach the carpet.

Will the Gorilla mat contain liquids, or is it permeable? I think I'm leaning towards the plain ol' cargo liner, unless I hear that the Gorilla one is that much better. I'm not sure that I would use the Grips often enough to make it worth it.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I've had the cargo molded rubber cargo liner in my car since near-new and it's been one of the best purchases I've made for the car. I had a nearly full 1-litre bottle of diesel fuel condition tip over and dump right out and the carpet was fine. Even the cargo liner was like new after I removed it and used a degreaser to thoroughly soak it and scrubbed and washed it a couple of times. I can't speak for the Gorilla cargo mats but I would say get the cargo liner and a set of Monster mats instead.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I've got the VW liner in my Jetta (sedan) and a Weathertech in our Passat wagon. They're both lifesavers when it comes to protecting the cargo area's carpeting.

I actually prefer the VW part as it's half the weight (easier to move around) and approx half the cost of the Weathertech.

Either way, a sound investment!

i_winter

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Audi A3 TDI
I have the Gorilla "stuff" - the heavy duty liner and the gorilla grips. I love them. The best thing you can get for your trunk. The liner has a rubberized bottom (the outside)and fits perfectly in the trunk. The edges are raised, so it would hold any spilled liquids.
I got it more for the Gorilla grips than the liner itself. The grips are great, specially if you go a little faster
in the turns. I use them everyday. And I like the fact you can rearrage the grips according to the size/shape of the load. The'll always be a perfect fit.

Now I'm not saying the other stuff (Weathertech, etc) is not good, but I really like the Gorilla grips and the liner.

i.winter