Poping sound from front end after Stealership replaced engine due to BS Failure!

bestsasco

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon/2005 Passat GLS TDI Sedan
All,
My vehicle recently had to have the the engine and turbo replaced due to the dreaded Balance Shaft failure. My vehicle is the 05 and luckily I purchased the extended warranty, so at just under 80k miles I got a new engine and turbo. I also had them replace the engine mounts, install a timing kit, do the alternator pulley, and drive belts.

When taking the vehile home I noticed noises from the front end when the syspension cycles, but only in certain cases. Usually it is worse when not under load and the bump causes the wheels to travel down then back up. Sharp bumps don't always cause it, it is more re-occurring and gradual bumps. It seems to also be more related to the driver side than passenger.

The Stealership stated this couldn't be the result of anything they did, but the car didn't make the noise before the work was done. It is almost like the mounts weren't tightened properly or something. Well they said it need tie rods, so at a cost of 800 bucks to do the inner and outer on both sides plus alignment, the car just after leaving the Stealership started making the same sound again. So they of course replaced something that may have been worn due to 80k miles, but probably didn't need to be replaced at this time.

I am going back today for a ride along, but I don't know what could be causing this and I need it fixed. The car has had 12k in repairs over the past month after being a very reliable car. Only 2300 has been out of pocket, but that is still a good amount of money for something that sounds like it is going to fall apart when going over bumps.

Another place where the noice gets created is on like a washboard road or coming to a stop where the asphault is all bunched up from heavy vehicles stopping when the raod was soft. It also will make it when going into the driveway or going in and out of a business parking lot where the two surfaces are uneven.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could they have damaged the suspension while doing the engine replacement? They say no, but maybe they let something hang they shouldn't have. I really need the car to be fixed properly so I can drive it for another 80 since it shouldn't need any other work after everything that has been done.

Please help!
Chris
NOVA 2003 Jetta TDI wagon/2005 Passat TDI Sedan

bestsasco

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon/2005 Passat GLS TDI Sedan
They finally sent a mechanic with me last night and the noise is really bad over speedbumps when approaching them at and angle where the front wheels dont hit at the same time. There is a loud noise like metal to metal contact.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Doesn't some of the suspension have to come out to do major work on the engine? I didn't study the BSM how-to real close, but I seem to recall something like that. Now that they have done the ride-along, heard it and actually believe you now, make sure they take care of it on their dime.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have had this problem before with a loose subframe or engine mount bolt/nut. There are 4 18 MM subframe bolts on each side and around 6 13mm bolts/nuts for motor mounts and the subframe plate at the rear of the subframe.

It doesn't take much to make the noise occur.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
subframe bolts sound suspect. I'd look on the repair order to see if they used new ones as well as thats the vw procedure.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Loose subframe, loose control arms, loose struts, loose sway bar are all possible. There is more possible as well. Bring it to someone who knows these and has done balance shaft replacement preferably. How close are you to Baltimore? You might want to try Oliver.