3 belt tensioners in 6 months: 2003 5speed jetta

updaze

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed, 2005 Jetta Sedan Automatic
184K: started having problems after a stage 2 rechip: any possible connection...dealer is going nuts trying to figure out whats going on....help please any appreciated....here or updaze@aol.com

updaze

TDI
belt tensioner

yes am : last replaced by dealer.....

updaze

TDI
alternator pulley

No problem to my knowledge...the dealer would check that wouldn't they? what do they look for?

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
any chance you can get away from the dealer?

sounds like some knowledgeable folks contributed to this thread:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=319775

In general, dealers are known for messing up TDI's. You'll get better service from a club member / guru and it will be cheaper.

re: the tensioners, the alt pulley could be the culprit...or poor tensioning, perhaps..

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
The alternator pulley has a sprag clutch, a one-way clutch which allows the alternator to freewheel when the crankshaft speed decreases during a compression stroke. These go bad and when they do, the rotor on the alternator will drive the belt, causing wild tension fluctuations on the tensioner due to its proximity in the serpentine belt line.

Also, the lower RPM of the diesel requires a smaller pulley which further impacts the rotational inertia effects of the rotor.

Nick from Carlisle

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Can you check how bad is vibrating the serpentine belt ?
Do you see any pulley not going smooth (wobbling)?

I think if the belt is not running quite smooth it might get excessive wear on the tensioner and loose the fluid .

It's true that this failure could be helped by frozen alternator pulley.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
No problem to my knowledge...the dealer would check that wouldn't they? what do they look for?
No, they usually don't check. They replace failed parts they see and don't look for the cause(s). If it causes something to fail again, they have another sale. Alt pulley/clutch failure is quite common and causes surpentine belt and tensioner dampner failures.

updaze

TDI
re: belt tensioner...Guys, Thank you!

Gentlemen: thank you...I agree with you that I am putting my ride in the hands of people who normally just look at me as a $ sign attached to my Jetta. [But I do have to give good marks to the service department at Vic Bailey VW in Spartanburg: their SM, Scott, has consistently, really given me the benefit of the doubt on work they have done, although on routine stuff they of course charge me the usual outrageous fees!] ...that said I do have 2 absolutely great guys Danny and Landon Grindstaff (son and father) near me, about 60 miles away in Asheville, NC. we are even trying to do a late year GTG in Asheville later on this year: the problem we have is coordinating and distance, as you can imagine...

I am going to print out your suggestions and ideas, and start with that alternator pulley and see where that takes me...Will keep you posted here on this thread...and again: THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! I KNOW I can count on y'all for serious consideration. Winston