36 mpg's on 2002 5 speed / tracking mpg's

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
36 mpg\'s on 2002 5 speed / tracking mpg\'s

I'm new to tdi's and just posted on the tdi101 section about mpg's to see what others were getting. I also read through some of the archives in this forum relating to venting, mpg's, etc.

I just got 36 mpg's on my third tank and I'm bummed, or at least worried that something could be wrong (as I've got a 5 speed)...my other two tanks were 47 and 41. Should I be concerned about this? Also, I want to try venting to get some consistency. When I filled up this last time it only went to 12.6 gallons. So if I'm understanding correctly, you'll always know you are full with venting, whereas if you don't, some pumps will shut off at different points and sensitivities?

Friends in California have also mentioned that Utah is supposed to have pretty crappy diesel compared to California...should I consider using an additive?

Lastly, could someone post a link to a great mileage spreadsheet...I read about those in the archives as well. Thanks

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
Re: 36 mpg\'s on 2002 5 speed / tracking mpg\'s

okay, I just thought that the window sticker says 41/50...you'd think that if there was a possibility you would get 36, they would list that as the low. I just need to get some more miles on it and I'm sure everything will evein out. Thanks-

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white

average it over time - I get some strange ones occasionally, and unless you fill up at the same place every time, the pump may or may not shut off at the same point.

If the trend stays low, then there is a problem. ALSO, you can check your snow screen - my fuel mileage was dropping, since about 15,000 miles, and the snow screen was clogged up pretty good. Check that goofy thing, and then check the air cleaner too.

Also - do a quick check to see if there are any vacuum lines unplugged (this is a remote possibility, not real likely).

pump timing can do this as well.

now that I think about it..... the real problem is you have steel wheels and need to put some NICE alloys on....

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er

You know, I thought I might be driving a little hard, so this tank I backed off some...noticed the turbo again at low rpm's, which is what I noticed when I first drove the car

So I should check the snow screen and air cleaner even though I only have 1600 miles on the car? I guess I'll break open my new Bentley and learn a thing or two...also, checking for unplugged hoses...

Yeah, I know, the alloys need to go on (not planned until Blizzaks get mounted on them in October...they really are in fantastic condition...thanks! I actually might get some 17" Long Beaches...that'll really kill my fuel efficiency

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white

Originally posted by days-like-this:
So I should check the snow screen and air cleaner even though I only have 1600 miles on the car? I guess I'll break open my new Bentley and learn a thing or two...also, checking for unplugged hoses...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">probably not, but it never hurts to check it - then you can see what it takes to get the thing off the car (it's really not that hard on a golf/jetta).

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

Tell you a story...

When I first got mine, I got around 36 MPG on the first tank. Then I discovered 5th gear.
And shifting lower (say 2400 - 2500 RPMs).

After that I got (and still get) around 45 MPG.

lobsang

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI

days-like-this
I have noticed significant milage differences with the type of fuel I use. The different brands and also the different times of the year and the different fuel stations; but what is most interesting is when I first put in Power Services Diesel Kleen Fuel Additive. I am only on my first tank with the additive but I am getting a little more than 300 miles with a half tank. Never used to get 300 miles at the half way point. In short, try out the fuel additive mentioned above. Incidentally, I will try out another additive after I finish my bottle of the Power Services; the Redline Diesel 85 plus.
Good luck on your milage.

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er

Yes, I am going to try the additives...also, there is a Texaco nearby that is advertising "premium diesel" so that is what I filled out with last time...I'm also driving very conservatively (shifting around 2200 rpm's) and am doing about 75% highway driving this tank, so we'll see how it all pans out. So far I'm just under half a tank and have about 340 miles, so that "appears" better than last time.
Also, the window sticker that came on the car says (in very fine print) that the 41/50 mpg can vary as much as 35 to 58...so, at 36, at least I'm not under 35

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

i'd bet your injection timing is retarded.

Do you smoke much?

lobsang

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI

when I first got my car, I used Texaco exclusively. I got varying mpg from different Texaco stations, but normally in the high 30's to low 40's. I tried different brands of fuel to see if I would get any different results. To date, I am not using Texaco. I am adding the Power Service additive and on my first tank (still not empty), I am pretty sure I will get over 600 miles as my fuel gauge is reading 1/4 and I have travelled 525 miles already

godlike242

Veteran Member

i have a couple spread sheets.. one that is a rough draft, and one that someone kindly worked on for me(sorry.. i forget his name) from that sheet.. both work though..

i would e-mail them, but your e-mail is not displayed.

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er

it doesn't appear that I smoke much. Some friends were visiting and wanted me to punch it to check for smoke (and compare against their Passat)...I did to about 4500-5000 rpm's and we got some smoke, but other than that, seems normal.

How else would I know if the injection timing was off?

Also, what should my engine idle at? It appears to be around 950 when the a/c is on...I'll have to check without a/c...could it be idling too fast?

Zeedaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
GLS, 2000, Bright Green

Days-like-this, three words for you.....Break-In Period, i wouldnt worry too much about milage till about 5K when you have you're first service. I also have a five speed, and suffer from lead-footitis, and have gotten a couple of tanks at 36MPG in the city, but never been below 40 on the highway. To relieve lead foot-titis shifting between 2200-2600 RPM I have found makes a big difference(higher 2k to 3k) while running a/c to take advantage of the turbo. 950RPM at idle with the A/C sound right, that's where mine idles.

Enjoy the car....dont worry about the details

sometime I wish I could take my own advice

One thing I may add is that I think alltitude makes a difference in mileage, im at 4300ft here in the truckee meadows
down in the Central Valley of Cali I can go alot longer than here on a tank...just a theory

[ July 06, 2002, 08:37: Message edited by: zeedaddy ]

Bob Novak

Veteran Member

Originally posted by days-like-this:
Yes, I am going to try the additives...also, there is a Texaco nearby that is advertising "premium diesel" so that is what I filled out with last time...I'm also driving very conservatively (shifting around 2200 rpm's) and am doing about 75% highway driving this tank, so we'll see how it all pans out. So far I'm just under half a tank and have about 340 miles, so that "appears" better than last time.
Also, the window sticker that came on the car says (in very fine print) that the 41/50 mpg can vary as much as 35 to 58...so, at 36, at least I'm not under 35
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Just got my worst fuel mileage 44.896 mpg. So got to thinking that we just had the hotest two weeks of the year and have run a/c almost everyday. Also have had several races latlely, "darn that up chip". One thing I have found that if you shift at about 3k you will improve mileage, this gets the turbo fully spooled and ready for crusin speed.

Bob

2000 red jetta gls leather all options
up chip
cvc mod
descreened
delvac 1 every 5k
2.0 maf
ammoco priemer
Rio riot mp3 player and monsoon, 400 albums

DK

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Golf 6 speed

Well...it finally happened. What had been a consistant 55mpg was knocked down to 50 by the mighty (well...not so mighty) air conditioner. Last week was very hot and humid in Massachusetts, and the wife rode with me in the '02 Golf GLS. Into Boston we went. This was a deadly mpg combination, as I couldn't resist her urge to turn the damn thing on. Oh well. Weather has turned back to something resembling normal, there's a full tank of Mobil in the car, and I vow to return to 55mpg or better. Don't get me wrong....I'll never complain about the 50mpg's with AC either, but the car was definately slower with air on. DK

Sc0

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf GL 5sp Candy White Tan cloth interior

I've been getting 39mpg to 46mpg depending on driving conditions with A/C on all the time.

Lately since I bought a V-1, speeds have increased and mileage has decreased. Before that, avg speed was around 60-70mph and that was grabbing 46mpg. When I first learned about venting it took awhile to master the art of topping off but since then mileage has remained constant... or close to it anyways.

'02 Golf GL TDI 5-sp (Houston, TX)

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er

Hmm, well I'm at about elev. 4000 and regularly drive up to Park City area and Snowbird, which is around 6900 to 7900 elev.

Yes, it has been hot here too so AC has been blasting. I will fill up today (haven't decided if I will vent or not yet
) so will know how much my mileage improved...also looking forward to adding some Diesel Kleen to this tank

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd

I'm at lifetime ave. of 51 mpg. on my 2k2 Jetta Wagon 5spd at 4100 miles. I drive mostly highway at 70mph, with 20% of around-town thrown in. This past week here has been un-holy hot, so the a/c has been getting a workout. It seems to be using a bit more fuel than normal, but not a lot.

I'm a pretty conservative driver, but I do shift at 3k and wind it out every day merging onto the expressway to 4500 rpm.

Fuel is Amoco Premier.

Chris

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW

Why on earth would you 'wind it out' to such a high RPM?

You are way past the peak HP which is at only 3750.

--------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Chris B:
I'm a pretty conservative driver, but I do shift at 3k and wind it out every day merging onto the expressway to 4500 rpm.

Fuel is Amoco Premier.

Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Canada66

Idleing will kill your mileage, and plug off your intake. Above or below freezing, give it a minute or two to get oil pressure up and get everything fully coated, and keep your foot out of it untill the temp is on it's way up to normal temperature. (90 in canada probably 195 in the US mesurments.) On the highway I use the cruise, and I get 55mpg at 120 km/hr or 75 mph. One thing I think a lot of people don't have access to, are the manuals for the big industrial engines like the ones I've run. Wakesheau and Cooper Bessemer state on turbocharged natural gas engines "DO NOT IDLE A TURBOCHARGED ENGINE FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES." Cat and Cummins are no different. This is due to the fact that carbon build up on the valves will fall off and tear the blades out of the turbo when the unit is finally loaded up. Diesel has 12 or more carbon molecules compaired to natural gas which has a maximum of 2(ethane). To cool down, take the groceries out of the trunk and shut it down. Diesels run cooler (at idle) than gasoline or natural gas engines because the fuel air ratio is so lean. So as soon as you are in your drive way with the clutch in and the throttle released the engine is forcably cooling the turbine side of the turbocharger. Keep driving.

Tapokata

Gone, but not forgotten

First tank fill up on 2K2 NB, 5 speed. Averaged 50.2 per gallon. 40% city driving, A/C on about 80% of the time. I shift early (2000-2500 RPM) and often- most of my 30 mph city driving is in fourth gear (granted, it's flat land here in the central valley of california- not too many hills.

Love that TDI. Let's see if this continues, or if the dealer bypassed the vent on the "free" fill-up.

C Brown

Veteran Member

Cooper Bessemer state on turbocharged natural gas engines "DO NOT IDLE A TURBOCHARGED ENGINE FOR MORE THAN 10 MINUTES." Cat and Cummins are no different. This is due to the fact that carbon build up on the valves will fall off and tear the blades out of the turbo when the unit is finally loaded up. Diesel has 12 or more carbon molecules compaired to natural gas which has a maximum of 2(ethane). To cool down, take the groceries out of the trunk and shut it down. Diesels run cooler (at idle)

But natural gas engines have no carbon. Can't be the reason they don't wany them idled.
Natural gas engines are the cleanest running engines there are..

Why do they say that?
Regards
CB&Stoker