Bulbs - Brake light/Tail light P/N's

Knoxville

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta BEW
I had a brake light out and was pulled over on Saturday. I went to autozone on Sunday with the burned out bulb and asked the guy for a replacement.

He looked for a bit and handed me a 2 pack of bulbs. I went out to replace them and noticed that the other brake light was out as well. I went ahead and replaced it as well. Then I noticed that I had a tail light out.

I went back in with a burned out brake light bulb and he found me a pack of 2 bulbs. One thing I noticed was that the new bulb was a lot brighter than the other side. So, I replaced the one that was working to get even, bright tail lights.

Before I left the store, I checked all lights and everything was working.

This was Sunday afternoon. I think the tail lights burned out Sunday night driving because Monday night both bulbs were dead.

I took out my backup lights and put them in the tail light socket and that got me home without seeing Johnny Law.

BUT, since the idiot gave me the wrong bulbs.... too bright should have been an indicator, does anyone have the P/N's?

Brake lights and tail lights?

Thanks.

Brian

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
On the 2004 the Brake and back-up sockets take the same bulb. The turn signal is the same wattage as the brake and back-up (21 watts) but is laquered yellow (because the lense is clear in that area). The tail light is 5 watts. I get Sylvanias at Advance Auto Parts and have never had a problem with the Sylvania catalog. I always get the long life bulbs, if offered for a particular application.

I do use the Golf taillight bulb instead of the one specified for the Jetta. It is the same physical dimensions, but it is 10 watt, instead of 5 watts. It is a little brighter. Life is the same, according to the spec sheets.

--Nate

eneeland

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I put P21W bulbs in the brake, turn and reverse sockets of my 2002 Jetta TDI. It didn't come like that when I bought it. The trick to getting out the assembly is to pull it out at the top first and get it over the fold of the fabric at the top. Then pull on the bottom section and out it pops. Installation is reverse. Trying to get the assembly out by taking out the bottom then the top is tough. I tried both ways. I do wonder what the socket horizontally opposite to the backup bulb is for. Any ideas?