99 VW Beetle TDI timing belt and water pump replacement

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I'll give you few pointers as it appears the link is to a Jetta or Golf which is about 99.99% the same. But, a NB is a PITA to change the TB in my opinion.

The work area is much tighter under the hood of the NB.

So, I've always removed as many things as possible...... here's a few which for some obvious exceptions is pretty much the same with a Jetta/Golf. (This is how I do. I'm sure it can be approached differently.)

Top side

- Take off the windshield wipers
- Remove the cowl below the windshield (that's why you need to remove the wipers). There are three or four bolts/nuts (10mm) that hold all those vacuum thingys on the firewall that also secures the cowl. It appears to be a tough task at first but makes for a lot more room to work. You may feel comfortable leaving the cowl alone...
- Drain as much of the coolant as possible because it will be dumped when you remove the water pump later
- Remove the coolant expansion tank
- Remove the Turbo charge pipe from the EGR assembly and on toward the front
- Prepare to plug hoses, such as fuel lines, power steering hose at the reservoir, etc.
- Prepare to tie back the fuel hoses from the fuel filter
- Remove entire fuel filter and holding bracket
- Prepare to tie the PS reservoir back (end toward windshield plugged
- Prepare to tie back the PS hose that you removed from the reservoir
- Remove the Serpentine Belt
- Remove the Serpentine Belt tensioner
- Remove the Timing Belt top cover (about 4 clips)
- (Later) Remove the metal covers down below (about 4 10mm head bolts)
- Remove the Air Filter Box and hose
- I usually remove the battery and its box.. not really necessary though
- Remove the vacuum pump, after moving that pesky vacuum hose
- Remove valve cover, even if you have the tool to hold the cam without removing the cover (inspect the Cam and Followers)

Bottom side

- Remove the bottom cover (if it has one)
- Remove the right front tire (of course car is up on jack stands, at least the front)
- Remove right side engine skirt
- Remove Turbo pressure pipe from Inter Cooler to end of rubber hose on the Turbo (I use a clean shop rag or paper towels to soak up the pooled oil in the bottom of the IC)
- Remove the Dog-bone mount

- Sometime, you need to set the engine at TDC #1, by rotating it with an 19mm 12point socket at the crankshaft only. Look for the timing mark on the flywheel (Oh, forgot to tell you to remove the plug for visual.)

The above will get you to the point of removing the right side motor mounts, supporting the engine, etc.

...............So, those are just a few helpful things to get you started.

Now, review the link that Powder Hound gave you!